LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Steering noises =/

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering noises =/

So a few months ago I posted about a strange noise I was hearing while driving. Originally if I just turned the wheel to the left I could barely hear a sliiiight grinding sound. It didn't do it very often so I didn't worry too much about it. Now, I hear all kinds of crazy *** popping and grinding, and if I kick the wheel all the way to the left as if I was backing out of a parking space it grinds like crazy o_O I feel fairly certain that its something in the front suspension or the rack and pinion. Where should I start looking, I know nothing about this except I'm getting worried that the next time I turn left my wheel is gonna fall off :-(
Old 01-05-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A common failure on these cars is the intermediate steering shaft. Mine is popping at low speeds (like in parking lots). Mine is not too bad yet so I am waiting until spring to replace it.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Probably the ISS.

Three choices: Replace, Lube it per the instructions, or spray a half can of white lithium grease while installed. These are listed best - worst and longest to shortest in length of fix lasting. Even with replacement it will probably come back.

http://forums.chicagoceg.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=12
Old 01-07-2012, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

I had a squeaky issue when I would turn my steering wheel, the sound was coming from the steering column. I brought it into the dealership and they replaced some part, but about two weeks later the squeaky sound came back.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by havelegs
I had a squeaky issue when I would turn my steering wheel, the sound was coming from the steering column. I brought it into the dealership and they replaced some part, but about two weeks later the squeaky sound came back.

bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla dealer fucked me bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
Old 01-07-2012, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rm08gxp
bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla dealer fucked me bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
No where in my post did I say that..
Old 01-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rm08gxp
I lol'd
Old 01-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

Just about every GM vehicle has had the ISS popping issues for many years now. My HD Chevy does it, both of my wife's GP's, both Bonnevilles, etc. So far I'm not aware of any replacement shafts not having the same issue. All you can do is keep having the shafts repacked every year.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Got the ISS replaced in the Impala at 31,000 miles, as it was clunking and had a ton of play.

We're up to 134,000 now and it still hasn't come back. The key is packing in the white lithium grease when installing a new one.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

So how about I get back to the shop today (I park my car and ride with the boss to our jobs, rather not put more miles on it than I already have) and I just so happened to have left the steering wheel turned. Get to the car, glance at the tires... mind you I've had them MAYBE four months, purchased new... and the left front tire, on the very inside nearest the sidewall, is worn down almost to the point where you cannot see any tread patten After much swearing I came to the conclusion that I probably need a front end alignment or something, it would explain the popping and grinding I only hear while turning left and thus why I have crazy wear on the very inside of the left front tire. Or, maybe my suspension is worn and the ISS needs to be replaced anyway to boot. In any case, what can I look for, so I know what to say when I take the car in? I don't know enough to monkey with suspension parts and even if I did it's too damn cold to work on it out in the yard
Old 01-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Launching!

jack it up and pull the wheel, look for any bushing's that are f'd. check tie rod for play. before removing wheel, jack up car and check for play both side to side and up and down. could be a ball joint, etc. etc.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Well, took it in today. Bad hub bearings and a bad tie rod on the passenger side along with a few other things. $700 in the *** doesn't feel too good but it must be done. Wish it would waited a little longer after Christmas lol
Old 01-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gxpintn
Well, took it in today. Bad hub bearings and a bad tie rod on the passenger side along with a few other things. $700 in the *** doesn't feel too good but it must be done. Wish it would waited a little longer after Christmas lol
sucks, could do it yourself for less than half..

Quick Reply: Steering noises =/