LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Is it ideal to switch to synthetic after 100k?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 06:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it ideal to switch to synthetic after 100k?

The GXP I just bought is coming up on 100k miles. This would have normally deterred me from buying it, however it is in amazing condition. I couldnt even find a scratch on the body.

Now I had Royal Purple in my old GXP which had more miles. The previous owner had always ran synthetic though. THIS GXP's previous owner has not. I would like to switch to synthetic, however I have heard numerous reports of people running into problems after switching to synthetics.

Any opinions?
Old 01-16-2012, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

They have problems because of the additives in synthetic cleaning you motor up and possibly removing gunk that had filled in a bad gasket allowing it to leak.

If the car is truly in good condition before it will remain so after. Synthetic is in genearal way more superior to mineral.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by baalic
They have problems because of the additives in synthetic cleaning you motor up and possibly removing gunk that had filled in a bad gasket allowing it to leak.

If the car is truly in good condition before it will remain so after. Synthetic is in genearal way more superior to mineral.
Quoted for truth!

People erroneously claim that synthetic causes leaks, but it really just exposes gaps in gaskets and seals that would have leaked with conventional oils.

Since LS motors use a lot of rubber O-rings in place of gaskets, they tend to not be oil leakers. I'd give synthetic a shot and see how it goes.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always switch to Mobil 1 on used high mileage cars I get and have had no issues at all.