TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plastidip questions

For those of you who have dealt with plastidip on your rims,
im going black over stock ss rims.
How many coats?
how long have you had it?
does it still look the same?
How do you clean it without damaging it?
Have you ever tried the glosser?
Thanks i would like to tackle this this weekend so help me please.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Launching!

I plastidipped my wheels once, but took it off about 2 hours later because I hated the looks...That being said, 3-4 coats seems to leave a pretty tough finish, and from what i read online thats what most guys recommend at least.

As for the other question...I also duracoated my bowties and the chrome bits on my car...I did this..well im not even sure when, way before summer started...I pressure wash my car and have even tested the plastidip by putting the pressure washer about an inch away and have never had a problem. Looks exactly the same but I have heard a bunch of times that over a year or so is when the fading kicks in...
Old 01-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Model16
I plastidipped my wheels once, but took it off about 2 hours later because I hated the looks...That being said, 3-4 coats seems to leave a pretty tough finish, and from what i read online thats what most guys recommend at least.

As for the other question...I also duracoated my bowties and the chrome bits on my car...I did this..well im not even sure when, way before summer started...I pressure wash my car and have even tested the plastidip by putting the pressure washer about an inch away and have never had a problem. Looks exactly the same but I have heard a bunch of times that over a year or so is when the fading kicks in...
I agree. I did 4 coats on mine and they came out with a reasonably tough finish. I find that the black is really closer to a dark gray.

I haven't tried the clearcoat. I'm not really sure what it would look like. I suspect "not great."

The look certainly isn't perfect, but you can't really beat the price.

Wes
Old 01-29-2012, 08:57 AM
TECH Regular

It's good for little things like the grill but not for rims. I sprayed my alcoas with it and it looked good for about a month, but then it started to fade and peel (I think the heat from the brakes made it fade quicker). It's good for little things as long as your able to paint the front and back because this stuff is like a sticker it will start peeling on the edges. I painted the chrome around the Pontiac logo and it started peeling at the edges after a couple washes but the grill I was able to pop off and paint the front and back and it looks great not one problem.

Last edited by WhiteGXP313; 01-29-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't have it on my wheels, but it is still fading a little. I've had it for 6 months or so and isn't peeling. I did about 3 coats.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

I did 4 coats on my rims and it looked great at first but now looks like ****. I worked in a few yards that were VERY sandy/dusty and it stained the plasti-dip on my rims. They look semi-decent now but thats only cause I spent about an hour on the rims applying some tire shine to them, but just like tire shine, it fades after a few days of driving.

FYI, I also tried the "Black Chrome" spray paint that they sell at Autozone on my bent rim and that stuff sucks also. It comes out of the can very splotchy and is hard to tell how dark you're applying it until it dries.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:23 PM
Launching!

this was a terrible fad haha... don't do it

saw a dude who shot his entire rear bumper cover and when he tried to get it off it took the paint off.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Worked great on the chrome trim around the grill,but that's all I used it for.I would never spray my rims with that ****!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:29 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT
Worked great on the chrome trim around the grill,but that's all I used it for.I would never spray my rims with that ****!
have pics of your grill??

I've been toying with the idea of doing this to the grill on my Monte to get rid of the chrome on it...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 02-01-2012, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
have pics of your grill??

I've been toying with the idea of doing this to the grill on my Monte to get rid of the chrome on it...
Yes I do,ill post ASAP.