LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

X-Post from GMLS4 - Probably gonna be a little loud...Exhaust Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012 | 04:40 PM
Launching!

Default X-Post from GMLS4 - Probably gonna be a little loud...Exhaust Project

3" Catless Hogan downpipe with custom 3" exit flange and rear O2 bung
Custom FULL 3" into dual 3" Catback exhaust

I will have one of these in the resonator position and one for each muffler. They are a total length (including welding stubs) of 6" long. haha:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SCH-63030/

Thinking this might liven up the geexxxpee a little bit...add a bit of bark to the bite

EDIT: Today

Look what the car fairy dropped off for me!

Old 02-13-2012 | 07:27 PM
Launching!

race muffler? more like a single baffle lol
Old 02-14-2012 | 06:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think unless your making much more power than stock its gonna struggle severley at low and and probably not gain anything up top, just a cam wont put out enough to make that worthwhile. Even if you do run 3inch all the way back after the y you have to make it smaller diameter pipes or the backpressure will be bad.
Old 02-14-2012 | 03:27 PM
Launching!

It will not suffer badly as these cars make an overabundance of low end torque and the exhaust is a known restriction. This will sacrifice a small bit of that low end torque in exchange for very nice gains in the midrange and top end. The loss of low end torque could in theory make the car easier to launch thus further reducing ET at the track.

Single 3" will be good for roughly 350 to 400hp before it needs to be reexamined. there is no rule that says you have to run smaller pipes after the cat or Y and furthermore i'd say the stock manifolds will provide all the backpressure i'd ever need.

Oh and this arrived today!

5 170* bends and 4ft of 3" straight tubing (not pictured). Those 3 little black things are the new resonator/mufflers. pictured below on a 1qt oil jug for reference:

Old 02-14-2012 | 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

I honestly think you could have saved $45 and not bought those res/mufflers, I dont think they are going to do anything.
Old 02-14-2012 | 03:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
I honestly think you could have saved $45 and not bought those res/mufflers, I dont think they are going to do anything.
they still gotta be there...it needs some form of sound control in order to be somewhat legal...

I even have a spare 3" cat for inspection time. of course there will be one on the car since it is operated on public roadways
Old 02-14-2012 | 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Oh yeah I forgot this is the 3" catback from Dick Lipps Performance right?
Old 02-14-2012 | 03:54 PM
Launching!

yessir it is! haha...

Maybe i can get some DLP badges made up for the car?
Old 02-14-2012 | 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

I would run a DLP sticker on my car for sure.
Old 02-14-2012 | 10:47 PM
Launching!

Maybe they will help create some back pressure
Old 02-16-2012 | 03:58 AM
Launching!

RESULTS IN!

HOLY HELL BATMAN is it LOUD! the Schoenfeld "mufflers " do help a TINY TINY bit but might as well be redneck straight pipes. I was surprised the drone wasn't worse so that's how i know they did SOMETHING..but lets be honest...this thing needs a real muffler of some sort. I'm thinking a single bullet muffler in the resonator position will tone it down enough to be tolerable.

PICS:

For anyone that doesn't think the Ubend is that bad...it's still bad...just not AS bad...

Beginnings of custom Y split. The "resonator" actually got welded right to the single 3" inlet because i forgot to include it after the flange. whoops. it actually worked better this way after i figured out how to route tubing around the gas tank and under the rear sway bar...which BTW is a GIANT PITA...

Exhaust is OFF the car!

those tips look nice but neck down to about an inch before the exit. pathetic.

Exhaust in process. This is about hour 10 or so IIRC...long and tedious because all welding was done outside the car and each piece test fit and done individually.

ONE WELD LEFT!!!

don't ask how i maneuvered it in the vice or installed it in one piece by myself after over 14hrs in the garage...i don't know. i honestly dont.

I still have to finish mocking up hangers later today but the car is driveable and YES it was a HUGE improvement!

for future reference Hogan Performance ALSO has a 3" catback piping KIT for these W chassis cars. it saves you all this trouble. If i had to do it again i would've went with their downpipe AND kit all in one shot.

Pics of tips and vid of sound are coming soon. I'll try to get some shots under car. I also need to wrap the section that goes around the tank. i'm probably safe BUT i'd rather be more safe than dead.

In Conclusion...

Difficulty - 7
Time - 10+
Cost - 5
Results: Awesome

Would do again...just with the hogan kit instead!