LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Could find out if TEP trans are worth it

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkins04
Oh so we couldn't send dave a gtp trans and have him do it for a gxp then
Nope...Two different animals, and there's no place to mount the starter on a GTP 4T65.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteGXP313
Im not trying to bash him or anything i just think $3000 for a built trans is a little much. Ill trust the teacher since he works for GM and teaches about transmissions. Plus everyone says that it takes like 3-5 months for TEP to send a new trans out and since my car is a DD i cant wait that long.
$3K for the TEP?????? what options are included in this unit, I thought they were cheaper than that... If so I better save a few more $$$$ cause at 61K I know it is coming sooner than later
Old 02-17-2014, 04:22 PM

Hey there,
I bought an 06 monte ss a few years ago that already had the cartuning turbo kit on it. After a couple of trannys from a local builder I bought the chain set and input shaft with reluctor wheel from cartuning performance and paid through the nose for it only to have to tear it apart as the bolts that hold the reluctor wheel to the input shaft broke . After the builder put it back together as told by cartuning performance (Loctite or tack the bolts ) it wasn't long before it grenaded and broke the $500 300m input shaft that cartuning sold me. Not real impressed with the parts and service there. I really need to find the best tranny for the money or sell the monte . Besides TEP who builds a transmission for this beast that lasts over 5 thousand KM ?
Old 02-18-2014, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Guys, I hate to sound like I am beating the dead horse but you will not find a more knowledgeable 4T65e builder than Dave @ TEP. Period. Dave has no employees, does all the work himself. I took my GXP to him and found him to be very professional and he does a bang up job. He went out of his way to help diagnose a starter issue, with no additional charge.

I would buy the parts from TEP and have your friend install them. It will be much cheaper that way. Just make sure to use the parts Dave recommends, do NOT let someone else tell you "it's not necessary" to install one or more of the upgraded components, Dave is not going to sell you something you do not need.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:53 PM

Hey there Madcat ,
I really don't know if I want to buy the parts and have somebody else put it together and get in to a pissing match with the supplier and builder again. The last time I bought the parts from cartuning and had a local builder put it together and had to have it fixed once with the end result of an almost bulletproof input shaft breaking all within les than 8 thousand k on 2 rebuilds. This has been rebuilt 4 time in 3 years with over 10 k out of pocket and less than 20k on it . my bad for not doing my homework but now it's down to getting the best tranny possible or getting rid of it ...............Thanks for any help
Old 02-22-2014, 08:22 AM
12 Second Club

Montecarlo29,

How hard do you drive your car? Where you racing when it broke? Any neutral drops in there ?? Just trying to get more info - those 300m inputs are pretty tough and normally only the Turbo Fiero guys can break them. If it was put together shitty, that's another story.

I've had one in my built trans in my Turbo GXP for about 9 months now and no problems...

Where you at anyway?
Old 02-25-2014, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by montecarlo29
Hey there Madcat ,
I really don't know if I want to buy the parts and have somebody else put it together and get in to a pissing match with the supplier and builder again. The last time I bought the parts from cartuning and had a local builder put it together and had to have it fixed once with the end result of an almost bulletproof input shaft breaking all within les than 8 thousand k on 2 rebuilds. This has been rebuilt 4 time in 3 years with over 10 k out of pocket and less than 20k on it . my bad for not doing my homework but now it's down to getting the best tranny possible or getting rid of it ...............Thanks for any help

Not sure what kind of pissing match you would get by giving a guy parts and saying "use all of them, no exceptions". If you are using a mechanic that cannot follow that simple statement, you need a better mechanic...
Old 02-27-2014, 10:09 AM

hey Madcat ,
I do run the tires off it but not from a dead stop and definitely don't drop it out of neutral. the pissing match was over the reluctor wheel bolts that backed off or broke. The supplier said it was shipped loose and instructed the builder to either Loctite them or tack weld them. The builder said the reluctor wheel came already installed . These little bolts that backed off or broke ended up with it tore apart and laid up once more. Dave has sent me a few emails and certainly does know his stuff. I am just not sure if I want to invest another 4 grand in it. It might just sit on the lawn and become a conversation piece. Kind of a shame , just last winter I put a low mileage motor in it with only 40 thousand kilometers in it and freshened up the turbo only to put about 5 thousand KM on it after the last rebuild. I was going to rebuild the old motor for a little more juice but without a bulletproof tranny I won't even go there ! Looks like somebody might get a cheap Monte ss turbo. Thanks for your input...........Kevin
Old 02-28-2014, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

No worries, Kevin. I understand the dilemma, I've had the same debate over other cars in the past. I do know that if you were to get a TEP it would be the last one you needed. Good luck, hate to see another LS4 owner go through this even though I know it is inevitable with our factory hardware.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:33 AM
Teching In

I'm going through my third major trans failure in 2.5 yrs, all since boosting the GXP. First was all stock, clutches burned up; second had a TEP rebuild kit but pump seal failure and subsequent bleed out; and third is total loss of forward and reverse movement, no bleed out. I'm currently in the long and expensive process of getting it back on the road again.

So I found out that a couple of infamous GM Racing 1" chains might be available, but for $2000 & $2500 respectively lol

Also found out from here there is a company in Florida that makes a "bullet proof" half-shaft, but only up to a 2003 GTP wa womp

Trying to see if a TEP-built trans will fare any better this time around, rather than getting TEP upgrade parts and having it rebuilt by local trusted builders.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantaZm
I'm going through my third major trans failure in 2.5 yrs, all since boosting the GXP. First was all stock, clutches burned up; second had a TEP rebuild kit but pump seal failure and subsequent bleed out; and third is total loss of forward and reverse movement, no bleed out. I'm currently in the long and expensive process of getting it back on the road again.

So I found out that a couple of infamous GM Racing 1" chains might be available, but for $2000 & $2500 respectively lol

Also found out from here there is a company in Florida that makes a "bullet proof" half-shaft, but only up to a 2003 GTP wa womp

Trying to see if a TEP-built trans will fare any better this time around, rather than getting TEP upgrade parts and having it rebuilt by local trusted builders.
Are you referring to the input shaft? You'll shear them regardless if you launch with slicks the wrong way. If you find a gm aeromet ecotec one that is the only bulletproof one however there's some machine work involved as well.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PhantaZm

You should dig through what alot of the old s/c and turbo 3800 guys put together to take alot more power than what any LS4 has been built to do. I've personally parts-hunted/installed a trans for a turbo '04 Regal that ran full-weight 11.4 with 126mph traps, and has put 30-40k on it since '09 without issue. (upgrades: GMR 1" chain set, GMR Torsen w/ Dynotech-recommended mods, blue plates, Intense I/S, ZZP P/S, Transgo/DIY shift kit)

Look up the long-winded Whipple GTP build that Paul (PRJ) is doing with JonBob on the ClubGP forum. Somewhere in there is a ton of info on the custom tranny work, if you want to see the maximum level you could take it. The SFPH axles aren't worth the cost of buying 5-10 lightly used OEM axles (of which, you may need to keep 1 of each side as an insurance spare). Most 8-11sec W-body's have run stockers for this purpose, as the cause of failure to OEM's has caused the same rate of failure on SFPH axles.

Triple Edge, ZZP, and others still have majority of what has been proven to last available to buy... although the 4t65e configuration has some Achilles heels that aren't avoidable, and putting double-stock hp+ into them just invites an issue at some point. I played this game 10yrs ago with thousands of others, and didn't have the wallet desire to go beyond a 350whp setup on my DD that'd require the $3k tranny upgrades. It's stopping me from the itch to mod the GXP beyond minimal now, and pointing my limited time/effort towards a RWD LS-powered toy later.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default TEP transmission

I had a upgraded TEP transmission installed when I was upgrading my car. While on the dyno the car was down shifted from 3td to 2nd at 128 mph, the dyno rpm recorder was set at 9050 rpms and the car shot right through that. Engine damage but the transmission held. How do I know that? We removed the transmission and the TC and had it inspected.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 707chance
I had a upgraded TEP transmission installed when I was upgrading my car. While on the dyno the car was down shifted from 3td to 2nd at 128 mph, the dyno rpm recorder was set at 9050 rpms and the car shot right through that. Engine damage but the transmission held. How do I know that? We removed the transmission and the TC and had it inspected.
Wow, that bites. My only dyno scares were less wild. Hitting 165mph on the rollers 2x before dyno guy decided 2nd gear was a better choice than him wanting to use 1:1 3rd with 2.93's. He didn't want his dyno spinning that fast, and I didn't want my GTP's drivetrain (trans, axles, bearings, tires) spinning that fast. Numbers didn't change on next runs (getting baseline #'s for header swap... 24-25whp from ebay version of SLP's).

As mentioned, the parts and correct building techniques are out there, but treating the pedal right in various conditions has just as much of an impact on the longevity. Being more selective with when/how you decide to pull launches, or going WOT during a roll is always going to give your trans the best chance at lasting as long as possible, barring random failures or overall wear.

Quick Reply: Could find out if TEP trans are worth it