LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

gxp turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gxp turbo

this summer im going to be getting a high performance trans put in my car. i was looking into turbos for the gxp and everything. i have seen videos of cars and gxp's that had ebay turbo kits on them... i was thinking about spending the 800 bucks and getting it put on...now what should i watch out for if i do this?? and i know its ebay so i get what i pay for. and are the kits really as bad as some people say??
Old 03-06-2012, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The turbos themselves are generally cheap, made-in-China junk, and those so-called "kits" are a joke. They're basically all designed to fit a Honda or some other ricer and would require a huge amount of fabrication to even get it into your car.

Then you'll have to deal with upgrading things like injectors, as well as getting a tune. The quality kits already include that stuff.

There's good reason why the reputable kits cost $4000-$5000. And by the time you get done cobbling the eBay **** together so it will work half-way decent, you probably will have spent that much anyway.

Do it the right way the first time: Go with the proven stuff.

Last edited by LS1 Racing; 03-06-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
The turbos themselves are generally cheap, made-in-China junk, and those so-called "kits" are a joke. They're basically all designed to fit a Honda or some other ricer and would require a huge amount of fabrication to even get it into your car.

Then you'll have to deal with upgrading things like injectors, as well as getting a tune. The quality kits already include that stuff.

There's good reason why the reputable kits cost $4000-$5000. And by the time you get done cobbling the eBay **** together so it will work half-way decent, you probably will have spent much anyway.

Do it the right way the first time: Go with the proven stuff.
ya i understand that but there are people that have had their kits on their car from ebay that last them with no problem. im not a installer so im a noob lol i would get it all done by a shop. and the kit even says it doesnt include the downpipe, manifold, and cilicone reducers, so you can buy the ones that fit your car. i mean i dont know. i was thinking maybe just go for it. the only problem i hear about the kits is the turbo blows. if that happens i will spend the 400-500 to get a better turbo. i think for that kind of price and all the positive reviews on the kits that it must work decent you know?
Old 03-06-2012, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Shop labor is anywhere between $80 to $120 per hour. You have any idea how long this stuff takes, especially if they have to fabricate? It adds up quickly, and if the shop is not familiar with how these cars are screwed together, it will take even longer.

As far as the "positive reviews" are concerned, how many of them were from people with something as odd a FWD V8 car? How many of them had cut-and-paste ricer 4-bangers?

Anyway, it's your money, dude. I'm just trying to prevent you from making a big mistake.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 06GPGXP33
ya i understand that but there are people that have had their kits on their car from ebay that last them with no problem. im not a installer so im a noob lol i would get it all done by a shop. and the kit even says it doesnt include the downpipe, manifold, and cilicone reducers, so you can buy the ones that fit your car. i mean i dont know. i was thinking maybe just go for it. the only problem i hear about the kits is the turbo blows. if that happens i will spend the 400-500 to get a better turbo. i think for that kind of price and all the positive reviews on the kits that it must work decent you know?
Might as well take a tourch to your money, they are cheap for a reason, if you buy a cheap kit that doesn't have all the right parts or the shop has to do modifications to get it to work you are looking at 1500plus just in labor. Order a kit from cartunning and be done with it
Old 03-06-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just buy the actual cartuning kit,
the ebay "kit" will not fit your car at all. its a bunch of random basic cheap parts needed for any turbo kit thrown into a box. it will not work with your car at all. and whatever shop you take it to will spend FOREVER trying to find parts and making the parts u gave them work. u are better of spending 800 on intake,exhaust,roller rockers,valvesprings,pushrods, and a tune
Old 03-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gxp-miller-gxp
just buy the actual cartuning kit,
the ebay "kit" will not fit your car at all. its a bunch of random basic cheap parts needed for any turbo kit thrown into a box. it will not work with your car at all. and whatever shop you take it to will spend FOREVER trying to find parts and making the parts u gave them work. u are better of spending 800 on intake,exhaust,roller rockers,valvesprings,pushrods, and a tune
alright u guys talked me into it. lol idk just 6k is alot of money for a turbo. i already have the intake and exhaust, so roller rockers, valvesprings, pushrods tune. how much more of a gain will i see with that? also do you think i should get the headers too? i think maybe i should just make this car all motor untill i get out of college and actually get some good money rolling in.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im about to get dynotuned later this month. i just put ls7 valve springs,1.85 rollerockers and intense pushrods. with intake and the tune i should put down at least 30-40 more. we will see though.
with the mods you have now,
l
s1/ls6 intake
headers and/or 3 inch downpipe
rollerockers/vs/pr etc.
you would probably be pretty satisfied
Old 03-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gxp-miller-gxp
im about to get dynotuned later this month. i just put ls7 valve springs,1.85 rollerockers and intense pushrods. with intake and the tune i should put down at least 30-40 more. we will see though.
with the mods you have now,
l
s1/ls6 intake
headers and/or 3 inch downpipe
rollerockers/vs/pr etc.
you would probably be pretty satisfied
now this is a real stupid question but could u run both a dp and headers?
Old 03-06-2012, 10:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those ebay turbo's aren't that bad for making power on the cheap...but I agree that this application is just too unique to take a gamble like that...but I mean eventhough those Chinese turbo's aren't the greatest, Hot Rod strapped one to a vortec 4.8, that they originally thought was a 5.3, and made like 700 horse IIRC, of course on the stock bottom end and after several high boost, 7000 rpm pulls that motor was junk

i actually ordered 2 ebay turbo kits for an '07 CTS-V i just picked up with 190k on the clock, it didn't come with a motor or trans, I already have a rebuilt 6L90 and cut out 5.3L H.O. aluminum block Vortec with 30k on it all ready to go...I found some motor mounts that move the engine back a bit, I'm just gonna use shorty headers reversed with the hairdries mounted behind the head lights, and have a friend's shop fab up the rest of the exhaust, and throw water/meth at it to keep temps down, when I get bored with the projected 550hp at safe boost, imma just rebuilt the motor, bore it out to LS1 spec and throw a forged rotating in it and crank up the boost until a turbine self destructs then get me some garret twins...but i mean all in all I'll have a high 11, maybe low 12 second car built for around 10k...if it goes well with the Caddy the Impy is next for a budget turbo setup if i don't get around to building it up N/A by then
Old 03-06-2012, 11:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

now this is a real stupid question but could u run both a dp and headers?
the headers connect to the down pipe then the downpipe connects to the "cat back" because the cat is a part of the down pipe...I'm assuming by intake and exhause you meant the K&N and magnaflow kits? i don;t think thats what the other guy meant with intake, exhaust, rockers, pushrods, lifters, cam and tune.

he was talking about the intake manifold (like a swap to the LS6 manifold) and everything required to delete DOD. as long as you're going to have the motor out of the car it is worth taking the stupid DOD hardware and cam out and replacing them with a nice cam and all the fixings...however changing things like that requires a custom dyno tune in order for the engine to run right, let alone make more power...doing these mods is a great idea before adding a turbo as well, because you'll get a bigger return on your investment
Old 03-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Teching In

does anyone know if the ls6 intake manifold lines up to the ls4 or is there fabricating to it?
Old 03-06-2012, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

does anyone know if the ls6 intake manifold lines up to the ls4 or is there fabricating to it?

seriously though, not trying to be a dick, but theres so many threads about the intake swaps...isn't there even a Sticky?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

da ***** going on in here. . .
Old 03-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
da ***** going on in here. . .
trainwreck. it happened.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Dude, you are either trolling or don't have any business modding your car with a turbo. You don't have any idea what is involved or have the connections to help you pull off a major mod like this. If you want to go with a cheap *** China turbo and think you'll just replace it when it lets go, what are you going to do about the little chunks of impeller that will get sucked into your nice LS4?

If you are serious about modding you car, do A LOT more research on what would be the best bang for your buck (CAI, downpipe, catback, tune, DOD delete) and enjoy those extra horses while you save up for the next step (rocker arms, springs, intake, headers). THEN, if that is still not enough, sell your damn wrong wheel drive performance car and step up to a GTO, Mustang, or Camaro. I know this is a FWD V8 forum, but lets admit it: 6K on a turbo kit would make a nice down payment on a RWD V8 used performance car.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 06RedRocket
I know this is a FWD V8 forum, but lets admit it: 6K on a turbo kit would make a nice down payment on a RWD V8 used performance car.
i mean **** 6k will buy you a used RWD performance car..I paid 4k for that CTS-V, and a truck LS based running motor/trans can be had for 2k depending on what you want
Old 03-07-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just get like 5 20 lb bottles of nitrous!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by V8ImpSS
i mean **** 6k will buy you a used RWD performance car..I paid 4k for that CTS-V, and a truck LS based running motor/trans can be had for 2k depending on what you want
Yup..The Z28 in my sig was $6500.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Actually the headers connect to a Y PIPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! than then connects to the catback. . . .

Quick Reply: gxp turbo