LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

K&N Cold Intake Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have dynoed the K&N vs my own custom = no change. Cost me less than $35 to make. It wasn't as pretty as the K&N setup though! Their heat shield is kind of useless IMO, I logged IATS with and without I'll just say the weight of the heat shield concerned me more than it's impact on IAT. It's best function is to house the ECM/TCM, thats it! If you need something that gives you step by step install instruction then sure buy one off the shelf. My opinion, from the looks of things, the CAI is better built...if I were to ever buy one again it would be that. Off-the-shelf gets you some resale value too, custom made intakes rarely generate interest from what I've seen.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:25 AM
Launching!

If you are dead set on buying a Cold Air Inductions air intake you will need a piece of pipe insulation to keep the heat soak under control. I think the name of the pipe insulation I used was Armaflex but don't quote me. If anyone wants some I will find out for sure and post it.

Here is a pic of mine after I covered it, and some pics that show the temperature of the Aluminum tube inside and out before the tube was insulated and the ambient temperature that night.

After I covered the tube the inside temp of the pipe was the same as the ambient temperature away from the car.
Attached Thumbnails K&N Cold Intake Feedback-intake-insol-003.jpg   K&N Cold Intake Feedback-camaro001.jpg   K&N Cold Intake Feedback-camaro003.jpg   K&N Cold Intake Feedback-camaro004.jpg  
Old 03-18-2012, 05:48 AM
Launching!

I notice something else about your results...its not a LS4...but we would have it worse with the crossover/MAF.

I would suggest to anyone that they wrap their crossover and shield or wrap their intake/MAF.

Thank you for your results!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Launching!

I got my insulation for free from a vendor who had insulated a lot of pipe where I work. I don't think he would charge much for a piece that has a 90 degree bend in it. I can ask him then post how much it would be.

Here's a pic showing the thickness of the insulation. Its doesn't look sloppy and goes on fast. He has it in all different diameters. I would think there are places in every medium size city that sells it. You have to have special glue to put the 90 degree bend in it.
Attached Thumbnails K&N Cold Intake Feedback-intake-insol-002.jpg  
Old 03-18-2012, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by No Hope
Cold Air Inductions air intake sucks, I have one. The Aluminum coated tube is a flame thrower under the hood.

You will get heat soak off the charts. I had to wrap mine in pipe insulation.

Halltech or Roto Fab is your best option. I will be switching to Roto Fab when get a Supercharger in a couple of months.
there isnt an aluminum coated tube on the LS4 application.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
there isnt an aluminum coated tube on the LS4 application.

Well that's cute. He's right, I looked on CAI's website and they offer a black silicone tube for the 5.3 but they don't offer a silicone tube for my car.

Now I really hate Cold Air Inductions.

I apologize if I mislead anyone, I didn't know they made a air intake with a proper tube. I was just so pissed about the heat problems I had with mine, every time I see a CAI post I jump on it like a pit bull in a baby nursery.

So they know a plastic or silicone tube is better but they still make a Aluminum tube. I could understand it if my air intake cost less than the 5.3, but mine cost $100 MORE. That is truly fucked up.

On top of that I have to buy the Roto Fab when I get the supercharger because the CAI tube just barley gets to the box without the supercharger. I had to ad a piece of Aluminum tube just to use a different air filter. The CAI air filter has an longer neck than any other filter has because of the short tube

Last edited by No Hope; 03-19-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:30 AM
Launching!

Save 200 bucks. Build your own. Trust me. It works.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by No Hope
Well that's cute. He's right, I looked on CAI's website and they offer a black silicone tube for the 5.3 but they don't offer a silicone tube for my car.

Now I really hate Cold Air Inductions.

I apologize if I mislead anyone, I didn't know they made a air intake with a proper tube. I was just so pissed about the heat problems I had with mine, every time I see a CAI post I jump on it like a pit bull in a baby nursery.

So they know a plastic or silicone tube is better but they still make a Aluminum tube. I could understand it if my air intake cost less than the 5.3, but mine cost $100 MORE. That is truly fucked up.

On top of that I have to buy the Roto Fab when I get the supercharger because the CAI tube just barley gets to the box without the supercharger. I had to ad a piece of Aluminum tube just to use a different air filter. The CAI air filter has an longer neck than any other filter has because of the short tube
pitbulls can be great dogs. it is all on the owner.

sorry to hear that your intake is made of aluminum. call bill i am sure he might be able take your opinion into consideration. he is a really good guy.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:12 AM
Teching In

Just wondering if anyones had a problem with the oil from the filter gettin on MAF if so what do i do or is thier a good dry filter?

Quick Reply: K&N Cold Intake Feedback