LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

only getting 11mpg now that i installed my k&n intake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gxp-miller-gxp
is there a noticeable difference with 91 and 93 both gas and performance wise? all we have here is 93 ( louisiana) but when i went to missouri for a week i was forced to use 91
i'm in missouri and we have a good mix of 91 and 93.... i've ran both depending on where i fill up and i dont see a difference... never dyno or anything but sotp feels the same, and i dont really see any differences in mileage. still i try and stick to 93 since it cost the same as 91.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

My gxp was seeing rediculous amounts of KR on 93 with the stock tune, so honestly I would say any octane on the stock tune isnt doing you a favor. . .
Old 03-14-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you take out the honeycombing in the MAF? My buddy did that in his Aura XR after installing an aftermarket intake system and that killed his economy along with making his engine seem to struggle under load and it would idle pretty rough. He put it back in, reset his battery, and it smoothed everything out.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

Just for reference all gases are not created equal, different gas stations will use difference refinement grades of gasoline. You need to find out if your gas station of choice uses a top tier gasoline, then you know that when you hit the "92" button you are actually getting 92 octane gas.

I had some fuels tested awhile back when a buddy of mine has his snowmobile melt down after getting premium gas at a local gas station, we were astonished by the fact that some of the premium fuels rated quite a bit lower than what they indicated at the pump. One said "93" octane, but came in at 88 octane when tested. In the end we determined that the fuel was the cause of the pre-detonation which in turn blew his sled up. Turns out that most gas stations have a clause that says they do not guarantee gas quality. Ha ha.

So anyway make sure you are getting gas at a big chain of stations, not your mom and pops place on the corner that is 4 cents a gallon cheaper. Up here we have Kwik Trip, BP Amoco, and Holiday that are pretty good, but Super America and some of the others are crappy.

I would put my scanner on my car after getting gas as various locations and would be amazed at how much knock I would get. I would run that tank almost dry and then put in good Kwik Trip gas and the knock would magically go away, both gases were 92 octane?
Old 03-15-2012, 12:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lVloses
Did you take out the honeycombing in the MAF? My buddy did that in his Aura XR after installing an aftermarket intake system and that killed his economy along with making his engine seem to struggle under load and it would idle pretty rough. He put it back in, reset his battery, and it smoothed everything out.
Yeah, this is one of the worst so-called "mods" you can do on a MAF-equipped car. That screen straightens the air out going over the wire, and the sensor is calibrated with that mind. Removing it completely throws off the PCM and jacks up your feeling.

Back in the early LS1 days, circa 2001, I did removed the MAF screen on my 2000 Z28. Car had a ton of KR after that and lost some power. I wound up buying a replacement to set things right.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OverlordSpock
What about 89? Any problems there? I've never really been able to get a good answer to that question.

There are a few towns that I have to go with my '08 SS that only have 89 as the top grade fuel. I normally use 91, but I have to run 89 at least once a month.
i had to have my fuel trims re tuned when i put on my fender well intake, it would kick the mil light on per a daily basis saying bank one was too lean. even with running 91 (never ran lower but im sure it would make it worse)