LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

GXP is gone

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GXP is gone

Well, I traded in the GXP last night. I loved the car for the 5 years I had it, but the constant thought of transmission issues as it got over 71kmi, and gas shooting up led me to get a 4cyl daily driver for now. I'm saving up for a 2nd car in a couple years to satisfy my V8 needs. Thank you for all the help, and I hope I helped a few of you also!

Joe
Old 03-24-2012, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will morn your loss
Old 03-24-2012, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

so what did ya get?
Old 03-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Launching!

cruze eco?
Old 03-24-2012, 01:03 PM
Launching!

unless you traded straight up (or ahead) and have zero payment now you're not getting ahead at all by gaining even 5mpg in economy. people that buy or trade into newer and smaller cars to "save money on gas" are mildly retarded.

now the transmission issues? i don't blame you ONE bit there at all...
Old 03-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Launching!

i dunno..I get 15-16 mpg with my car now...My parents cruze lt is averaging just slightly under 32 mpg... combined with the saved insurance costs , doubling the MPG, and only having to buy 87 rather then 91/93, i could see it definitely paying off in not too long...especially when you also figure in the replacement transmission, haha
Old 03-24-2012, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fubar569
unless you traded straight up (or ahead) and have zero payment now you're not getting ahead at all by gaining even 5mpg in economy. people that buy or trade into newer and smaller cars to "save money on gas" are mildly retarded.

now the transmission issues? i don't blame you ONE bit there at all...
That's not true, if he traded the GXP for newer car with a V8 he would have a payment AND he would spend more money on gas. So by getting a 4 cyl car he is saving money on gas AND he has a newer car that's worth more money, so the purchase is a smart one.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Launching!

and if his payment was 300 a month and he paid the car OFF...he now has 300 extra a month in his pocket. drops the insurance to liability to save another 50% there...now he's in a position to have somewhere around 350 to 400 a month more in his pocket...

if the DD is a reliable car (v8 or not) he should expect minimal maintenance.

12 months times 400 a month is 4800 a year right there...

so by selling/trading/whatever into a newer car that still has a payment and increased insurance costs he's saving more than 4800 a year in costs?

right...tell me again how this purchase saves that much money...in the name of fuel economy of course...

better off to find a cheap 1500 4cyl beater or something if mileage is a concern. minimal investment. maximum returns.

but like i said...the transmission issues are a valid concern...though a one time 1700 purchase can fix that and balanced out over the course of ownership it all of a sudden doesn't seem too bad and has a minimal overall impact on the monetary side of things.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good luck finding a good 4 cylinder car for $1500. My daughter has a rusty 92 Lumina and wants to replace it with a 4 cylinder car, but all of them I looked at in the $5000 range had 150,000 miles or more on them.

Even though someone is paying $4800 a year for a gas saving car, they are getting a newer car so they don't have to try to make that cash difference up by saving money at the pump. They are getting a car that's worth much more then the older car it replaced, so the better gas mileage is a savings in the overall picture. If you look at it that way rather than having a $400 a month payment you will see it is a smart choice.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Launching!

No Cruz, honestly didnt care for them. I went with a base 2012 Optima (flame on lol) for 36months 0.9% financing. I'm planning on keeping this thing for a very long time. To be honest, fuel was an issue but not my only reason. I did the math, I know im not saving enough in fuel to offset buying a new car, but that's not my only reason. I was getting tired of the harsh ride (roads here suck+bad back=not comfy), oil consumption even with DOD off, and the almost guarantee of trans issues. Hell it already had shifting issues until I got it tuned, and yes also the fact I just paid $4.50/gal for premium up here. I've owned $1500 beaters before and they always need something, so that $1500 beater ends up costing double that in repairs.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JC05GXP
No Cruz, honestly didnt care for them. I went with a base 2012 Optima (flame on lol) for 36months 0.9% financing. I'm planning on keeping this thing for a very long time. To be honest, fuel was an issue but not my only reason. I did the math, I know im not saving enough in fuel to offset buying a new car, but that's not my only reason. I was getting tired of the harsh ride (roads here suck+bad back=not comfy), oil consumption even with DOD off, and the almost guarantee of trans issues. Hell it already had shifting issues until I got it tuned, and yes also the fact I just paid $4.50/gal for premium up here. I've owned $1500 beaters before and they always need something, so that $1500 beater ends up costing double that in repairs.
At the end of the day, you have to do what's right for you. Gas prices are getting high and will only get higher, and on top of that these LS4 cars aren't that reliable at all. So I'm not mad at you at all. You did what's best for you.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JC05GXP
This is exactly why I sold my gxp but I didn't care about gas that's why I got the hemi
Old 03-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Launching!

i sold my 05 GXP that was payed off for a 2012 cruze RS turbo whitch i payed half of it off up front so my payments on a brand new car are low i only got rid of the GXP so i could get a good MPG DD i have a 02 WS6 TA so if i want speed or a fun car to drive i hop in the TA i have a 1 ton crew cab dually if i need to tow i hop in the GMC so i needed something good on gas the TA and gmc are payed off so i only o a small amount on the cruze so for me it was a smart trade up