LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Cam and intake question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind with adding that much more power you tranny will need updated to take the abuse. It's only a matter of time before it brakes.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes.. The trans will need to be upgraded eventually. My tasks lasted for a long time before needeing a rebuild. In fact, it didn't need a rebuild, it needed a new Chanel plate pressure valve
Old 03-30-2012, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Davidgxp, with a cam and intake swap with tune and exhaust what do you think the fwhp would be at the wheels?
Old 03-30-2012, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
yes I sell the Trinity and offer a package deal for it plus my custom tuning at a reduced rate, so you'd save $$... here's info:

http://www.diablewtune.com/package_deal.html

and no, the tune would not be on it already... custom tunes have to be made from the copies of tune files from your specific car, because the tunes are tied to a vehicle's specific VIN and engine calibration ID's....

so, you'd order the deal, then when you'd get the Trinity in about a couple days, you'd need to install one of the diablo preset tunes into your car, so that the trinity would save the original backup stock tune files in it...

then you'd save a copy of those "original backup" and "last tune written" tune files out of the trinity to your PC - email them to me - I create the custom tune for your car based on those files and email the custom tune file back to you.. you import it into the trinity, then connect the trinity to your car and install the custom tune.

correct, there is a separate TCM module for the tranny, and yes, the Trinity can adjust the tcm/tranny tune settings as well... have had my tcm/tranny tuned since last December

All the info you'd need can be found on my site http://www.diablewtune.com and yes, I'd need to know your vehicle's info - year/model, what mods are done to it, etc.

Thanks for asking man, I appreciate it!
-Lew
The example on you previous post that tune was done to a stock car? Because David GXP has alot of mods listed.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99slpws6
Keep in mind with adding that much more power you tranny will need updated to take the abuse. It's only a matter of time before it brakes.
I'll take that into consideration.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99slpws6
Davidgxp, with a cam and intake swap with tune and exhaust what do you think the fwhp would be at the wheels?
I dyno'd 238hp/275tq with just a catted Downpipe way back in the day and 256 with HP tuning.
Then I installed a Magnaflolw catback , 1.8 rockers, CAI, and a LS1 intake that was tuned by Lewis, and a put down 276hp/299tq with number 4cyl. injector unplugged.

All stock, I trapped 98-99mph, with a 238whp. After installing the cam and such, as posted before, I trapped 111.33 mph. This would put me around 355-360 whp. I do not plan on getting dyno'd again. I perfer trap speeds

This cars race weight is 3865 with me in it and 1/8th tank of gas. Best ET was 12.71.

I now have ported heads, lighter valvetrain, std volume oil pump, and a built trans with 3.69's.
With the new heads, the car feels like the cam swap all over again.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
Thanks Dave!

yeah, can definitely get that car crankin' without having to go the whole big $$ cam/intake swap route...

Here's what I was able to do with DavidGXP's setup last year:

http://www.gmls4.com/index.php/topic,64.0.html

And thank you Lew! Your tune is still running strong

Lew was very quick with making changes to my tune, after receiving my logs.
I think it took about 8 logs lol.. I was using the Predator at the time.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

Cam swap list:

Camshaft

*Camshaft retainer plate*

LS7 lifters

LS2 lifter buckets

Head gaskets

Head bolts

Pushrods

Valve springs

Katech valley tray http://store.katechengines.com/modif...take-p149.aspx

Katech opsu adapter http://store.katechengines.com/oil-p...px?Thread=True

LS6 intake (Send the intake to me for a fee, and I will do the proper mods for you)

Brian's TB adapter

Stock Injectors with http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/sh...&productId=212 adapters. Make sure you get the Lower injector O-rings!

LS6 fuel rail (returnless)

Map extension harness

If you shop around you can find so screaming deals..

I would hit up Chance707, to find out what he would let everything go for, since he has been there and done that.

I wish someone who lived close to me, would get serious.. I could do the whole dam swap, and could use a little extra $$ and I would be much cheaper then a shop, and could get most parts for a fraction of their costs!

* Do not take a chance on reusing the retainer plate unless your engine has less then 50K. Their is a embeded oil seal that is in the plate to seal off the oil galleries. The plate is less the 30.00. *

Last edited by DavidGXP; 03-30-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
Cam swap list:

Camshaft

*Camshaft retainer plate*

LS7 lifters

LS2 lifter buckets

Head gaskets

Head bolts

Pushrods

Valve springs

Katech valley tray http://store.katechengines.com/modif...take-p149.aspx

Katech opsu adapter http://store.katechengines.com/oil-p...px?Thread=True

LS6 intake (Send the intake to me for a fee, and I will do the proper mods for you)

Brian's TB adapter

Stock Injectors with http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/sh...&productId=212 adapters. Make sure you get the Lower injector O-rings!

LS6 fuel rail (returnless)

Map extension harness

If you shop around you can find so screaming deals..

I would hit up Chance707, to find out what he would let everything go for, since he has been there and done that.

I wish someone who lived close to me, would get serious.. I could do the whole dam swap, and could use a little extra $$ and I would be much cheaper then a shop, and could get most parts for a fraction of their costs!

* Do not take a chance on reusing the retainer plate unless your engine has less then 50K. Their is a embeded oil seal that is in the plate to seal off the oil galleries. The plate is less the 30.00. *
Wow thanks for the info. This helps me out ALOT. Now I just have to think about this for a little. Do I want a real screamer and spend $$$ or should I just go the easy route? Im so confused. How long would a stock trans last behind that much power? I drive my cars kinda hard like say on a scale from 1-10 one being real easy and 10 abusing the **** out of it I'd say would be a7.5. Your car sounds like its alot of fun and I cant imagine having that as a DD. Do you drive it everyday? Or is it your "fun" car? Now with $5 a gallon for gas I got ask this too. Hows the gas milage?
I spoke to my buddy and he said he ran a 13.9 and his trap speed was 99 if I can remember. I know that I pulled a couple of cars on him without the magnaflow his had the magnaflow. Whats the quickest stock GXP/LS4 run? I believe I read somewhere (a while ago) it was a GXP and it ran a 13.6 @ 102 if im not mistaken. Ive been out of the game for a while excuse my ignorance.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:41 AM
On The Tree

Davidgxp car is no longer a dd, the trans is only a ticking time bomb. You might get lucky and it with last for a year or 2 or a week with the new parts.The more power you make the fuel your going to burn. So expect to lose mpg.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:34 PM
12 Second Club

I can post more details later.
Right now I average 18.9 but get well over 25 on the highway.
My car is very daily drivable...
For the most part its my fun car now
Old 04-02-2012, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
I can post more details later.
Right now I average 18.9 but get well over 25 on the highway.
My car is very daily drivable...
For the most part its my fun car now
WOW! The car right now gets around 14mpg city and about 22-25 HWY. Now I have a huge decision to make. If I can keep it under $2000 for the cam intake and tune that would make easy. BUT how long is the trans gonna last? Gotta budget in the cost for that too. Which sounds like at least another $2500 installed. So lets just call it $5000.00 total. I know one thing it will be real fun driving it then.

Quick Reply: Cam and intake question