LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Well i did it too. Traded the Imp ss

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 02:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Isn't the fastest LS4 FWD on tech only into the 11's (and that's with boost)? That combined with the fact that theres a sticky in the top of the section tallying the grenaded transmissions on here should also tell you something about the capabilities of these "performance" cars.

Lol go ahead. They're high 13's (at very very best) cars, which is respectible for a stock sedan. They have a decent amount of room inside, again, just okay, not great. They handle alright, nothing too spectacular. They really don't look like anything special-just everyday cars with a few more vents and a different spoiler/rims for the most part. They don't respond well to mods, they don't have much aftermarket support, and they wheel hop and break transmissions like thats what they were built for. Tell me exactly why it's so dumbfounding that people see these cars as poor performance car choices?

Unless GM steps up and does a recall on all the transmissions (which they won't) I think most of these cars will go the way of the early 90's turbo grand prix's. Sorry for upsetting you folks with my opinion, but if you're looking for a true performance sedan that's reliable and great for modding, this is a terrible platform IMO.
Yes, our trannys suck, and yes, we have annoyances like clunky ISS's and crappy wheel hubs. But you can't even come back and say a Chrysler product -- ANY Chrysler product is more reliable than an LS4 car. Having owned a recent a Chrysler, I can down the list of problems that would make an LS4 owner think he owns a Toyota by comparison: Clutch problems, oil leaks, tire wear, and above all electrical bullsh*t tells me that your vaunted Chrysler is worse built than even an 80's GM car.

As far as being better performance platform, the only part I'll agree with is that the LX cars are RWD. But they're also two-ton pigs, and I've pimp-slapped several Charger RT's and 300 C's in my "so-so" performing Impala. I even put half a car on a 300 SRT-8, so don't diss the forward power of the LS4.

One last thing...I absolutely murdered a 392 Challenger on the freeway a couple of weeks ago in my Camaro. I wasn't spraying, either. I had to laugh that a nearly $50,000 "flagship" pony car couldn't even stay with a 10 year-old F-body with $2800 in mods. And I paid $6000 for the car last October.

Chrysler is overrated and still sucks.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Yes, our trannys suck, and yes, we have annoyances like clunky ISS's and crappy wheel hubs. But you can't even come back and say a Chrysler product -- ANY Chrysler product is more reliable than an LS4 car. Having owned a recent a Chrysler, I can down the list of problems that would make an LS4 owner think he owns a Toyota by comparison: Clutch problems, oil leaks, tire wear, and above all electrical bullsh*t tells me that your vaunted Chrysler is worse built than even an 80's GM car.

As far as being better performance platform, the only part I'll agree with is that the LX cars are RWD. But they're also two-ton pigs, and I've pimp-slapped several Charger RT's and 300 C's in my "so-so" performing Impala. I even put half a car on a 300 SRT-8, so don't diss the forward power of the LS4.

One last thing...I absolutely murdered a 392 Challenger on the freeway a couple of weeks ago in my Camaro. I wasn't spraying, either. I had to laugh that a nearly $50,000 "flagship" pony car couldn't even stay with a 10 year-old F-body with $2800 in mods. And I paid $6000 for the car last October.

Chrysler is overrated and still sucks.
Great for you on the street racing stories, I've got a billion myself, and so does everyone else on here. You're acting like I talked **** about GM altogether bringing your camaro up, I thought that part was funny as it has nothing to do with the Grand Prix/Charger comparison everyones so mad about. Coming back and saying that "absolutely no chrysler products" are more reliable than a FWD LS4 car I think really says a lot. I'd be astounded if you really believed that as fact.

But, let's get back to the topic at hand. Im pretty positive the lightest of the LS4 cars weighs in close to 3700 pounds doesn't it? that's not too far of a cry from 2 tons. I understand the significance of even just a few hundred pounds of weight, but these cars certainly aren't miatas either.

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
every time you say IMO it makes me think of ricky bobby when he says with all do respect and remember im saying with all do respect, right before he insults the **** out of someone.

IMO i think the car serves the purpose it was designed for name another car in its price bracket from the same year with equal performance, space, comfort, fuel economy, and luxury? it wasnt made to be a weekend warrior race car. They were made to be performance sedans which they are and are pretty good at.

op congrats on the new to you car. other guy isnt there a mopar link or something at the top of the ls1tech home page? use it and go hang out there.
WAIT! You congratulated the OP on his new car!!! Everybody get him!!! He must be a Chrysler fanboy like me!!!

I literally laughed out loud reading the last part of your repsonce.

I think it's hilarious that Im being called out as a Chrysler fanboy now because I don't care for the LS4 cars as performance cars. Yes, they do have a nice little spot that not many other cars can quite fill in the same exact way, but thats because they try to be so many things at once, and ultimately fail at being great at a single thing if you ask me. You can't really make it a much better performer, or even more reliable without shelling out and assenine amount of money when you compare it to the return/capabilities you get with this car. Sure they're fun. Sure, they're quick and they're faster than many other sedans, but at what price? When you give me two cars to compare, especially when we're talking affordable used cars that people plan to mod/race and talk up, I'm not going to pick the wheel-hopping, tranny snapping, very high 13 second (on a good day-don't forget to count those 100th's guys 13.88 is waaay faster than 13.9!!!), FWD, boring looking car with a poor support from aftermarket SIMPLY because it's a GM car and the other is a chrysler.

Do you know what the difference between low 14's and high 13's is? That should be an absolute joke for performance cars. A couple hundred bucks worth of bolt ons. These cars in many cases were major headaches for people when they were brand new with constant repairs and tranny problems-even with just normal driving in many circumstances. It's not uncommon whatsoever for multiple to several thousand dollars over the span of several years just to keep them on the road, and these cars aren't even 10 years old yet (let alone improving the performance). Hell, a decent stall can cut off .5-.7 easy over a stock converter in many performance cars. 12's and 11's are a sinch for those "2 ton pigs" (especially the SRT8's) and if you've got a few thousand bucks, you can buy the parts anywhere to do it.

To be fair, I guess you could really say I'm not a GM fanboy either, however. I'm a performance and capabilities fanboy (which often leads me to GM cars, just not in this case).

Coming in here and giving my opinion to the OP was obviously a mistake, sorry to everyones feelings who got hurt when I threw out facts about these cars (really not opinions for the most part). If you don't mind the possibility of shelling out a few thousand dollars every few years to keep a 13 second family car on the road, it's really no skin off my back whatsoever.

Last edited by MasterTomos; 08-19-2012 at 05:23 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WAIT! You congratulated the OP on his new car!!! Everybody get him!!! He must be a Chrysler fanboy like me!!!

yes i congratulated him on his new car. thats how these threads about purchasing a new car are supposed to work. im pretty sure thats why he started the thread not to here a bunch of back and forth nonsense from ls4 guys and guys that dont own either car.

I think it's hilarious that Im being called out as a Chrysler fanboy now because I don't care for the LS4 cars as performance cars.

i didnt call you a fanboy and i can care less if you dont like ls4 cars, but if thats the case it seems really stupid of you to troll around in the ls4 section.

Yes, they do have a nice little spot that not many other cars can quite fill in the same exact way, but thats because they try to be so many things at once, and ultimately fail at being great at a single thing if you ask me.

No one asked your opinion. after you gave your opinion the only thing i asked you to do is name one car in there price range from the same time period with the same options that can beat them.

once again this threads about the ops new car. you say congrats, ask to see more pics, a smoke show video, **** like that.

You can't really make it a much better performer, or even more reliable without shelling out and assenine amount of money when you compare it to the return/capabilities you get with this car. Sure they're fun. Sure, they're quick and they're faster than many other sedans, but at what price? When you give me two cars to compare, especially when we're talking affordable used cars that people plan to mod/race and talk up, I'm not going to pick the wheel-hopping, tranny snapping, very high 13 second (on a good day-don't forget to count those 100th's guys 13.88 is waaay faster than 13.9!!!), FWD, boring looking car with a poor support from aftermarket SIMPLY because it's a GM car and the other is a chrysler.

Arent there ls4 cars running low 13s with a ls1 intake swap and not much else? if those few hundred bucks break your bank you shouldnt be modding anything. and who the **** goes out and specifically buys an ls4 to mod and race it? dude its a daily driver(for me at least). everyone gets into a street race from time to time in there dd that doesnt mean you run out and buy a ****** ls1 car or a terminator cobra and stuff the baby seat, groceries and everything else in the back of your race worthy dd, and live with the lack of basic luxuries(like space and comfort).

To be fair, I guess you could really say I'm not a GM fanboy either

guess what? youre in a gm forum.

Coming in here and giving my opinion to the OP was obviously a mistake, sorry to everyones feelings who got hurt when I threw out facts about these cars (really not opinions for the most part). If you don't mind the possibility of shelling out a few thousand dollars every few years to keep a 13 second family car on the road, it's really no skin off my back whatsoever.
the first smart thing youve said is that you made a mistake coming in here and giving your opinion. lets talk about fact and opinion before you go. opinion= ls4 cars suck because they fill too many niches and blah blah blah. thats your opinion you have yet to prove it as a fact. opinion=youre a ******* douche bag. thats my opinion not necessarily a fact, but both of these things can be offensive to the person theyre talking about. facts on the other hand are not so offensive, and can be proven. fact=the ls4 cars were the most affordable luxury sport sedans at the time they were new. fact= they were/are 13 second cars that had tons of space, headroom, legroom, got good fuel mileage, looked good, and handled well. fact=some ls4 cars have transmission issues(mine doesnt and ive driven it like i stole it for the last 5 years). fact=this thread has been jacked and all of this could have been avoided by not being a ******* ********, and just congratulating the op on his car. fact=opinions are great and being able to express it is whats wonderful about forums and america, but theres a time and place for everything and expressing ones dislike for a ls4 car in a thread about a charger isnt the time, nor is it the place for it. with that said if youd like to keep debating with me over two cars that you dont own you can feel free to pm me. i love debate, but you gotta bring facts not opinions.

op my apologies for the thread jack. post some more pics and a smoke show video.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

^^ This is all true.

Great post.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What's your paypal I would like to send you some money Monte man. That was absolutely priceless. He's probably angry because he's going back and forth between this forum and. Chickswithdicks.com
Old 08-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

No prob Monte man. Good post. One thing I have never seen is a stock ls4 running in the 13s. Mine couldn't do better than a 14.7. Anyway I didn't get rid of my ss because I didn't like it. I was worried about the transmission.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSWHITE07
Anyway I didn't get rid of my ss because I didn't like it. I was worried about the transmission.
And no one begrudges you that. It's an unacceptable problem. I don't blame anyone who doesn't want deal with the trans problems. I think we all just have issue with the troll, who like Monte Man says, doesn't own either car, but is dumping on the LS4.

Sorry I was partially responsible for jacking your thread. Enjoy the new car!
Old 08-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

14.7 really can u not drive?
Old 08-19-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys are always worth a good laugh I swear you are soooo fast to defend these mediocre cars. It is hilarious how hard you guys defend these things when I know many of the LS4 owners actually agree with me. Its pathetic how fast the name calling comes out (really? lmfao...it's about as pathetic as the LS4 platform) when someone brings up the cars/platforms well known flaws, you guys are like a bunch of high-schoolers. And the greatest part is how mad all of you are. Priceless.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

That's what the car ran. It spun pretty good but it still should have done better. As far as not being able to drive? You are supposed to put it where it says "D" right?
Old 08-19-2012, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

You guys are always worth a good laugh I swear you are soooo fast to defend these mediocre cars. It is hilarious how hard you guys defend these things when I know many of the LS4 owners actually agree with me. Its pathetic how fast the name calling comes out (really? lmfao...it's about as pathetic as the LS4 platform) when someone brings up the cars/platforms well known flaws, you guys are like a bunch of high-schoolers. And the greatest part is how mad all of you are. Priceless.
Whatever, troll. Obviously, reading comprehension is not a strong point of yours, otherwise, you'd see that most of us won't argue about the weak trannys and FWD.

But since you've owned neither an LX or an LS4 car, it's safe to say that you're just here to talk sh*t, which is fine. We see the kind of person that your are. Just keep talking.

Just don't expect a lot of people to agree with you when you come onto the LS4 section and trash-talk our cars... Especially when a great many LS4s can put your LT1 in the rear-view mirror.

Just make sure you can get out of the 13's before you talk too much sh*t, because running your keyboard when the best you can do is mid 13's makes you look foolish.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I usaully stay quiet when I see comments like yours but this time I gotta say just
Old 08-20-2012, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

did i offend you with my opinion? you still have yet to name one car in its bracket sold at the same time that could beat it. i get it youre an lt1 guy you have to come into the ls4 section of the forum to talk **** cause it makes you feel like more of a man. guess you know better than to step into an ls1 section to talk ****. not for nothing i think the ls4 would clean the lt1s clock stock vs stock(IMO). i dont have to defend the ls4 it can do that itself. can an lt1 do the same? seriously like whats next tpi L98 guys **** talking? followed shortly after by 24 speed trek owners? i didnt realize we were on lt1tech.

Last edited by TheMonteMan; 08-20-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My turn at a rebuttal, granted I'm not as good as MonteMan. But anyway here it goes...

**** off.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

With all do respect!!! Crap I forgot to say with all do respect. Oh well.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Stock lt1s go mid 14s. They're only not the gayest 80s and up gm v8 because of the cross fire motor.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SleeperGXP
14.7 really can u not drive?
I don't see you posting any of your awesome driving skills up,troll and to the guy with the pos lt1 car you **** is weak, I know a few ls4 cars that would stomp that car . So **** off.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

I don't have to the car from the factory is faster then that bro!!!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

I'll say it and mean it - No current Chrysler product is more dependable/reliable than the LS4 series. Go look at any Chrysler based car forum, check out the Problems threads in each. Take a good look at how many different things go wrong with these cars... Then look at a GM board, yes they have issues but it's always the same couple issues.

I have a Chrysler and it will be the last POS from that company I ever buy. The only way I would buy another would be if Ford and GM did not exist anymore and the only domestic brand was Chrysler.

With all due respect, take your trash talking somewhere it won't be laughed at. LS4 cars only have a couple bad points.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SleeperGXP
I don't have to the car from the factory is faster then that bro!!!

There are so many factors that go into how that car will perform at race time. Driver is just one of them. Track temp, ambient temp, exc will all affect the times. I could run a 14 flat here and a 13.5 somewhere else with no changes. Of course, I'm sure you knew that...

Quick Reply: Well i did it too. Traded the Imp ss