LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

New Turbo GXP...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by x11 nut
It's Bulletin #08-07-30-040B - attached.

"The current square transmission oil pan magnet may become saturated with normal ferrous sediment and the Pressure Control Solenoid (PCS) is now collecting ferrous sediment, making it vary from design. For a given current the PCS electromagnet is stronger, causing the line pressure to be less than needed."

The exernal filter is added insurance!
funny thats exactly what happened with mine, when i swapped transmission i pulled out one of the sensors (i assume it was the pcs) and it had more metal shavings on it then my pan magnet did.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nmp0098
Only one cylinder is exhausting with a lot of pressure at any point in time. The diameter and length of the primaries is a much bigger issue than how the front merges with the rear. I would bet that the power difference between the manifolds and headers is a lot greater for a heavily modified engine even still. Regardless, the intake is basically a restrictor plate and what really chokes off the engine. Those ceramic coated manifolds are probably great for a turbo motor though, what with all of the heat and velocity they send to the turbo.
i dont know i'd classify that as a header having 1.5 inch collector. or what ever size that merge tube is.

seems pretty common with lsx that they just dont get much of a gain from headers... unlike previous motors that really wake up with them. think i gained 3-4 mph with shorty headers on my lt1.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:15 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by blkchevyz
ok so the intake and exhaust on these cars suck lol.
Actually it's the opposite
Old 10-18-2012, 10:28 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by blkchevyz
i dont know i'd classify that as a header having 1.5 inch collector. or what ever size that merge tube is.

seems pretty common with lsx that they just dont get much of a gain from headers... unlike previous motors that really wake up with them. think i gained 3-4 mph with shorty headers on my lt1.
With a cam, LS6 intake, CAI, Hogan catted DP, and a Magnaflow catback. I went from 99mph in the 1/4 to 107mph. Once I added headers, and went with 3" exhaust from the cat into the dual split, I trapped 110mph.

From Buickracers dyno thread (He had DT build the headers) it looks like he only gained 4hp and 12 lb-ft at peak (un-tuned).

Headers don't pick up much now days due to head design, and modern cam profiles with wider lobe centers. Long tubes are the way to go!
Old 10-18-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

Really, modern manifolds are very well designed using wave theory and gas expansion principals. The modern header manufacturer has to wrestle with packaging in a way the didn't on older cars, so they usually can't tune the length properly. Even still, pretty much every header manufacturer uses a constant diameter pipe for the primaries and that is suboptimal. The V6 in the Camaro has the manifold integrated into the head, so there's not much to be done without a radical customization and I doubt there are many shops that could make more power on the older head with custom headers. So, there's not a much to gain with headers over manifolds, and there's not as much power on the exhaust side as there is on the intake side anyway.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:09 AM
12 Second Club

So I wasn't happy with the underhood temps, having the manifolds and pipes coated helped but there's just a lot of surface area! I got a turbo blanket and some exhaust wrap - much better now!

Pics attached - haven't figured out the web url deal yet.
Attached Thumbnails New Turbo GXP...-img_3529-large-.jpg   New Turbo GXP...-img_3531-large-.jpg   New Turbo GXP...-img_3532-large-.jpg   New Turbo GXP...-img_3533-large-.jpg   New Turbo GXP...-img_3534-large-.jpg  

Old 10-21-2012, 11:33 AM
12 Second Club

Truely amazing build. Keep up the good work and the pictures comming!
Old 10-21-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just more motivation to keep me saving for mine.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nmp0098
Really, modern manifolds are very well designed using wave theory and gas expansion principals. The modern header manufacturer has to wrestle with packaging in a way the didn't on older cars, so they usually can't tune the length properly. Even still, pretty much every header manufacturer uses a constant diameter pipe for the primaries and that is suboptimal. The V6 in the Camaro has the manifold integrated into the head, so there's not much to be done without a radical customization and I doubt there are many shops that could make more power on the older head with custom headers. So, there's not a much to gain with headers over manifolds, and there's not as much power on the exhaust side as there is on the intake side anyway.
Manifolds are never integrated into the head and no radical anything is needed they build long tubes for the v6 camaro as well same principal all around.

the DT headers for our cars in my opinion are way to similar to stock manifolds im really hoping cal speed comes up with longer primaries and a decent collector.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 91parkave
Manifolds are never integrated into the head and no radical anything is needed they build long tubes for the v6 camaro as well same principal all around.

the DT headers for our cars in my opinion are way to similar to stock manifolds im really hoping cal speed comes up with longer primaries and a decent collector.
Actually the new v6 camaro's manifolds are integrated into the heads. Just do a google search of 2012 camaro v6 headers it's quite amusing actually. And anything is an upgrade from the way they decided to do the collector in our stock manifolds.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
Truely amazing build. Keep up the good work and the pictures comming!
Thanx! I'm going to have to replace the exhaust cut out cause its not working. Tested it before I installed it, now nada.. With it closed, boost is limited to about 6 psi. It still goes like stink, so not too concerned - I'd be way pissed if it stuck open!
Old 10-21-2012, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

Very nice! That's the spot, like it was made to be used...

The hole thats there is just about perfect for a 10mm body bolt (pointed tip with washer used on fenders & such) - if you use slow even pressure it'll thread as you turn it in. I should have taken better pics of it, but looks like you took care of that - cheers!

If anyone else is going to add the remote filter and plan or is running a turbo, then the hole with the screw in your picture needs to be the right hole on the filter housing to the hole that exist on the frame. I used a self tapping screw on the second hole to make sure it stayed since one bolt off center didn't seem right. Anyway, it allows you to get your arm between the charge pipe and the filter to R&R the inner/ forward fender bolt.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:47 PM
12 Second Club

I moved the filter to my own thread sorry. Thanks again for getting me off my ***..
Old 10-26-2012, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

Did a road trip and was happy to see a good bump in fuel economy! I was getting 19.5ish MPG at 78 cruise before any mods. now 24.5 MPG. Part is due to my Fuel Smart, went up to @ 21.5 with it, so turbo is getting about 3 mpg more - very nice!
Old 10-26-2012, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

Did a road trip and was happy to see a good bump in fuel economy! I was getting 19.5ish MPG at 78 cruise before any mods. now 24.5 MPG. Part is due to my Fuel Smart, went up to @ 21.5 with it, so turbo is getting about 3 mpg more - very nice!
You're using a Fuel Smart on a DOD-equipped motor? Do you still have DOD active?Without trapping an exhaust charge, I wonder how the fuel cut wears on the bores and rings.

The turbo itself will slightly lower economy through pumping losses and heat transfer, but something about your setup must be helping. Aside from the kit and ceramic coated headers, what all have you done to the engine and transmission?
Old 10-26-2012, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

No internal mods sans the trans shift kit. I put a PVC oil separator but motor is all stock. I agree the turbo causes a small loss in city driving (getting about 1mpg lower), but unless they're set up wrong they should improve highway mileage.

Yes, I'm running a Fuel Smart and the DOD is active. I tested with both full time and didnt see much gain. With it setup so one toggles on when the other is off, I get 9-10% better mileage. I'll start a thread on it.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:28 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, overdue for an update… I replaced the exhaust cutout – which sounds awesome! Took it the to the Track and ran a pair of 12.9s and promptly destroyed 3rd gear - on the 3rd pass no less… So I’ve been driving it awhile going 1,2 – 4th !!
Attached Thumbnails New Turbo GXP...-img_4152-large-.jpg   New Turbo GXP...-img_4153-large-.jpg  
Old 07-10-2013, 06:44 PM
12 Second Club

I had planned to build the trans for my Turbo LS4 swap project, so I doubled up the parts to fix my GXP. The GXP is my driver, so I didn’t want to have it out of commission for too long – happened to find a 06 GXP at a local dismantler and got the drop out. Turns out the trans was a GM Serta unit, but I tore into it anyway – glad I did too. All I can say is it was very poor build quality. Anyhow, having the spare trans to build first meant I could swap it out in a weekend.

Here’s the list of goodies:

Modified Channel plate
3.29 gears w/ new chain
300M Input shaft
2800 stall converter with older style hard friction lock up
Billet 3rd gear piston with 11 clutches – eliminate wave plate
Extra 2nd gear clutch – eliminate wave plate
Extra Apply assembly clutch – eliminate wave plate
Trans spacer and a Dorman pan w/ drain plug = extra fluid
True Limited Slip Differential

I used a method to leave one ball joint attached so I could swivel the cradle out of the way – it made reinstalling it very easy!

Here’s some pics….
Attached Thumbnails New Turbo GXP...-img_4385-large-.jpg   New Turbo GXP...-img_4393-large-.jpg   New Turbo GXP...-img_4395-large-.jpg   New Turbo GXP...-trans-bits.jpeg   New Turbo GXP...-trans-piston.jpg  

New Turbo GXP...-trans-piston-2.jpg  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had planned to build the trans for my Turbo LS4 swap project, so I doubled up the parts to fix my GXP. The GXP is my driver, so I didn’t want to have it out of commission for too long – happened to find a 06 GXP at a local dismantler and got the drop out. Turns out the trans was a GM Serta unit, but I tore into it anyway – glad I did too. All I can say is it was very poor build quality. Anyhow, having the spare trans to build first meant I could swap it out in a weekend.

Here’s the list of goodies:

Modified Channel plate
3.29 gears w/ new chain
300M Input shaft
2800 stall converter with older style hard friction lock up
Billet 3rd gear piston with 11 clutches – eliminate wave plate
Extra 2nd gear clutch – eliminate wave plate
Extra Apply assembly clutch – eliminate wave plate
Trans spacer and a Dorman pan w/ drain plug = extra fluid
True Limited Slip Differential

I used a method to leave one ball joint attached so I could swivel the cradle out of the way – it made reinstalling it very easy!

Here’s some pics….
pic of the diff? and great job
Old 07-10-2013, 07:44 PM
12 Second Club

I lost some of the pics, but here's a link to the shop that makes them - you have to send them your diff or pay a deposit.

http://www.engineered.net/eplsd.htm

Quick Reply: New Turbo GXP...