LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Easy mods while changing trans fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 05:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Easy mods while changing trans fluid?

Ordered the ZZP shift kit and 2 gallons of Dex VI, so I plan on doing it this coming weekend. Car is just over 100K. Shifts great, fluid's red and not burnt.

Anything else easy to do with the pan down? I'm considering adding a drain plug to the pan, and I keep hearing mention of adding extra magnets.

Is there a GM kit of extra magnets? Are you buying extra OEM magnets?
Old 11-06-2012, 02:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i just went to ace hardware and bought a 25lb rated magnet and stuck it on the pan
Old 11-06-2012, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you doing a cooler as well?
Old 11-06-2012, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

Extra magnets (GM# 29535617), external filter and a cooler = no worries !!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

Picked up a few magnets at Ace Hardware today per the above suggestion.

I've got a cooler or two in the garage. I'd like to put one on it along with one of the external coolers, but I haven't decided if I'm doing that this weekend or not. Definitely won't be doing the external filter yet as I haven't ordered it. Might just wait until I order an external filter to do all of the plumbing at once.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by x11 nut
Extra magnets (GM# 29535617), external filter and a cooler = no worries !!
The magnets, and filter are a good idea. Defenetly worth doing, but I wouldn't exactly say no worries. Still need a Sonnax Converter Relief Valve.

Last edited by Brian396; 11-08-2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Sonnax Converter Relief Valve not tcc solenoid
Old 11-09-2012, 08:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brian396
The magnets, and filter are a good idea. Defenetly worth doing, but I wouldn't exactly say no worries. Still need a Sonnax Converter Relief Valve.
That requires taking half of the trans apart, right?

This ZZP "shift kit" showed up. Feel kinda ripped for the $40 they are charging now (I swear it was $30 when i looked a few months ago). It is literally 5 or 6 nylon spacers that would cost me less than 2 bucks at Ace. Figured it'd include some springs or something. The filter that they advertise as made in the US on their website is plainly stamped "Made in China" on the back of it

Regardless, it is going in tomorrow, and I look forward to the results.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DuronClocker
Yes it does.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DuronClocker

This ZZP "shift kit" showed up. Feel kinda ripped for the $40 they are charging now (I swear it was $30 when i looked a few months ago). It is literally 5 or 6 nylon spacers that would cost me less than 2 bucks at Ace. Figured it'd include some springs or something. The filter that they advertise as made in the US on their website is plainly stamped "Made in China" on the back of it

Regardless, it is going in tomorrow, and I look forward to the results.
No springs at all?? Return that crap and go with transgo (recommended brand from TEP)
Old 11-10-2012, 02:31 PM
12 Second Club

I concur - need a kit with springs
Old 11-10-2012, 11:46 PM
11 Second Club

If I hadn't ripped the package open to look at the instructions and see if it wasn't missing anything, I'd maybe have returned it and just bought the spacers myself and a filter from Advance. I wanted to get it done today though, so I just ended up throwing it in.

I went with the "standard" suggestion shims as I've got HP Tuners to firm things up further whenever I decide to unlock it. Honestly, I expected more out of it, but it is an improvement. In the short time/distance I drove it today, it was hard to get on it enough long enough to feel a decent upshift. Driving normally doesn't really *feel* any different, but it does look like the RPMs drop on shifts quicker. Downshifts are definitely improved, and that is really what I cared more about anyways.

Shift kit aside, I was happy to pull the pan and see two doughnut magnets in it instead of the factory square one, showing me the fluid had been changed previously. I bought the car with 82-83k on it about exactly 2 years ago from a dealer with limited history, and it is now a little under 101k. I ended up leaving those and adding two more stronger ones as well. I was half expecting a shift kit in there when I took the accumulator apart When I bought the car, the motor mount had been flipped already, so it seems the previous owner knew a thing or two about these.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:55 PM
11 Second Club

If anyone wants to make this shift kit on their own for $1-2 at Ace Hardware..

It was literally 6 nylon spacers and a single piece of paper with instructions on both sides (rather good instructions, I must say, for having no pictures) folded down to fit into a 2" by 2" plastic bag. 3x 3/4", 1x 1/4", 1x 1/2", and 1x 1". Oh, and let's not forget the "USA made" filter that was stamped with Made in China on it.

Take accumulator cover off, remove pistons, add single 3/4" spacer to each shaft, replace pistons, add 3/4" spacer to this side of the shaft on the 2-3 piston and 1/2" spacer to the 1-2 piston. Bolt it all back together. I didn't use the 1/4" or 1" .. those would be used to make shifts firmer/softer.

Quick Reply: Easy mods while changing trans fluid?