LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

battery issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery issue

Having a battery issue. New battery does it, old battery did it....I can last about 15 minutes in accessory mode then the car won't start dead battery. Door/trunk open working on the car for 15 minutes...dead battery. I've got new terminals no help.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Is there something you wired into your car? cd player, subwoofer, amp? Sounds like you may have a battery wire and a accessory wire mixed up
Old 11-21-2012, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's factory radio. It does have the bose system. My last SS had 2 jl's and a 550 watt kicker wired up and I could play that for hours and it would still start.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by baltsk8er69
It's factory radio. It does have the bose system. My last SS had 2 jl's and a 550 watt kicker wired up and I could play that for hours and it would still start.
Not on a stock style battery. I used to install stereo's. This is not possible unless the volume was barely up at all or you were running a better battery.

Make sure your battery cables are good and your alternator is charging properly. These are simple things that are often overlooked.

There is something drawing power. Disconnect the positive battery cable, put a meter between the battery and the positive battery cable to measure amps. See how much is being pulled. You can start removing fuses from the fuse panel (only one at a time) and see which one drops the amount of amps being pulled. This will help you narrow down what it is.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I also install stereos and I'm a rocket science so there. But seriously, I don't blast the radio and I used a 2 farad cap. It would last at least an 1.5 hours. I always take my family to the drive in theater and we could watch a whole movie with my system on. Then between movies (they play 3) I would turn the car on for 5-10 mins to recharge. This car I can't even leave my door open for 15 minutes with the keys out of the ignition?????
Old 11-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Launching!

and I used a 2 farad cap.
minor detail you left out there.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I tested it and im pulling under .467 to .488 under the 10a setting on my multimeter. Thats with radio off and trunk and doors open. hmmm.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump for some help?
Old 11-25-2012, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you did that right and you're drawing less than half an amp, then you need to look at your battery, alternator, or a bad connection between them then.

Take it to Autozone and have them test your charging system for free.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was contemplating just getting a red top. It's a new battery but its a superlex. But then again it did it with a stock battery. But I don't think its a alternator issue because the car can sit for days and still start fine. I only have trouble with the car off. Thanks
Old 11-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Launching!

I was contemplating just getting a red top. It's a new battery but its a superlex. But then again it did it with a stock battery. But I don't think its a alternator issue because the car can sit for days and still start fine. I only have trouble with the car off. Thanks
I would lean towards the battery, but it does it with the old battery and the new one. Doing it with both batteries seems to point towards something else. However, your draw is well within the limits. Did anything else change around the time this problem started happening?

If you do replace the battery, don't get an Optima. They are very hit and miss now with most being junk. Odysseys are good, but very expensive. I have moved over to using Deka Intimidators and have had very good luck with them.

Have you had the alternator and battery tested? I know pulling the battery is a hassle, but maybe it could be load tested with the cables disconnected while it is still in the car.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Regular

What open circuit voltage (disconnected) are you seeing when it's dead? Do the accessories still run, lights, etc when it won't crank?

It is possible that your new battery was "dead" when you got it. Most parts stores don't care for their batteries properly. If it has a decent voltage but won't crank you probably have an internal short in the batteries, a faulty starting relay, or the solenoid that engages the starter is going. If you have a multimeter that can read min/max voltages or a tool that can scan voltage, you can try and see what the battery voltage drops to when you try to crank. I think anything under 8V and you are SOL, and the closer the worse off you are.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Battery and altenator were tested fine today. Not sure where to go.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It was a bad cell. Tested fine sometimes. I put a much larger battery in. Works great now.

Quick Reply: battery issue