LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super
View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?
Intense Fenderwell Intake
23.08%
K&N Aircharger Intake
0%
Cold Air Inductions kit
76.92%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

FWI vs. K&N vs. CAI

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crich88848
I put my CAI on before I did my exhaust when I still had the walker quiet flow mufflers on. I noticed a quite a bit of difference after putting the CAI on with the quiet mufflers. Noise wise (not at idle though) and power wise.
Now that's what I like to hear lol. Thanks for the input. Like I said if Lew can give me a bit of a package deal I mise well get it from him. Only problem is that i'm in Canada so shipping is going to rape me. That's the reason the K&N looks appealing since I can keep it under the 300 mark after shipping. I do deal a lot with the UPS store in Port Huron, MI though but if I got a few hundred bucks worth of stuff coming accross Canadian customs will also act like ****** and get me for duty.

With a tune and maybe some heat shielding do you think the warmer air from the K&N would be a big deal?.... Someone pointed out the IAT's will mess with timing.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gilroy222
Ya that's why i'm still hung up lol. On one hand I do agree with the cooler air factor that denser provides more air and more power. The other hand though is to do with the airflow itself. Both sides have argued time and time again about air flow vs. just colder air. I'll try and find the thread where somebody dyno'd under the identical conditions on the trucks. (Yes it's a different application but the intake styles in question are the same)

What he found was that yes the closed box style is cooler air but by only 1 degree when it's actually hitting the MAF. The airflow and manifold pressure itself however was much greater with the open style than the closed style so more air was actually going into the throttle body despite the increase in temperature. Somebody correct me but that is the reason forced induction works so well correct? Because of the huge volume of air that's going into the engine and with a super charger they wouldn't have an intercooler to cool the air. With that someone can argue more air matters more than cooler air.... what do you guys think?

People have also said you can just buy that heat insulation stuff for a few bucks and stick it on the k&n shield and it dropped their temps. I don't know what I want to do yet. Regardless I will be getting a Lew tune so I may get a better deal with the CAI kit as he as already told me or if I want to save a few more bucks I may go with the k&n and the tune I would think would help with the timing and fuel mixture as far as IAT go.

I don't know. I'm glad everybodies got input on this though.... it's definitly getting me thinking lol. Regardless though that link I posted is the only person that's felt a difference between the two. I tried contacting CAI about not having a tube included back when that thread was posted but Bill says it's always came with one so I dunno what that guys talking about in that thread.
I'd say there's a pretty big difference between that truck and our cars. The trucks don't have a crossover pipe so the exhaust funnels straight to the back. And they pull their air in from the front side typically. Where our cars the exhaust goes right under the mouth of the intake manifold. There's a lot of heat in that general area, which is where the K&N pulls its air from. I would be willing to bet the heat difference is quite significant in this argument. That is why I'm still saying CAI with a Ram Air headlight is the best you can do for that part of the intake.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Now that's what I like to hear lol. Thanks for the input. Like I said if Lew can give me a bit of a package deal I mise well get it from him. Only problem is that i'm in Canada so shipping is going to rape me. That's the reason the K&N looks appealing since I can keep it under the 300 mark after shipping. I do deal a lot with the UPS store in Port Huron, MI though but if I got a few hundred bucks worth of stuff coming accross Canadian customs will also act like ****** and get me for duty.

With a tune and maybe some heat shielding do you think the warmer air from the K&N would be a big deal?.... Someone pointed out the IAT's will mess with timing.
Isn't CAI based in Canada? Would it be cheaper to buy through them?
Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cory1750
Are they based out of Canada? I guess I'll look into it. If so then yes it'll be a lot cheaper lol.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Their contact page says Memphis,MI so not Canada lol.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:02 AM
On The Tree

Yeah. I was thinking of Cartuning. They are definitely in Canada. Maybe that is a sign to go turbo
Old 04-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Yeah. I was thinking of Cartuning. They are definitely in Canada. Maybe that is a sign to go turbo
Beleive me if I had the coin i'd have it done in a heart beat. Maybe if my mutual fund gives me a good rate of return this year i'll go spend 5 grand lol. My tranny is still the original so i'm waiting for that to go first lol.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Launching!

I'm going to take off my intake so I can clean the filter and run MCCC through the car in a little while but in the mean time anyone have any pics of what the stock box looks like from the angle that air comes in? I'm just comparing it to the CAI kit in terms of how much air can get in there when there's a lid on it.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to take off my intake so I can clean the filter and run MCCC through the car in a little while but in the mean time anyone have any pics of what the stock box looks like from the angle that air comes in? I'm just comparing it to the CAI kit in terms of how much air can get in there when there's a lid on it.
GET THE CAI. If not, mine as well build your own for the amount of money you'd end up paying for the K&N. I don't think the price is justified for the K&N considering what you get with it.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

uhhh, no, they're not... heh.. good ol' USA....

and yes I have them readily available, and for lower cost than directly from them....

and yes, the Cold Air Inductions intakes are far superior than the K&N's or any others.....

http://cai.diablewtune.com

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 04-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Ya i'm getting it lol. Just gotta wait for the bank account to give me the green light
Old 04-09-2013, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
uhhh, no, they're not... heh.. good ol' USA....

and yes I have them readily available, and for lower cost than directly from them....

and yes, the Cold Air Inductions intakes are far superior than the K&N's or any others.....

http://cai.diablewtune.com

Yeah like I said I got mixed up with the cartuning kit. Too much stuff to remember :/

Quick Reply: FWI vs. K&N vs. CAI