LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Engine Bay Weatherstrip

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Bay Weatherstrip

I completed this mod a few weeks ago. Basically, the idea behind this is to keep the engine bay clean of any outside debris due to driving.

To start off, I picked up an extra rear weatherstrip from the yard. These should be easy to find since all W-bodies have them. This is the weatherstrip located near the windshield. You then just cut it in half and place each half on the side of the vehicle. There is some metal within the rubber so use some pliers if you want to get a nice "clamp" near the sheet metal where the fender meets the bumper cover area.

The next thing is to seal the front of the vehicle where the hood meets the front grill. I looked around and determined that the 2008+ CTS and the 2010+ LaCrosse both were good candidates. After looking up prices, the Buick was a better choice, lol.

2008+ CTS:

2010+ LaCrosse:

This does not apply to the LaCrosse Super as you guys already have a front weatherstrip:

You could do the sides though.

Since our Grand Prix hood makes contact with the headlight gaskets, there is no need to seal that region. So we're left with the "small" area between the two headlights.

So I purchased the 2010+ LaCrosse weatherstrip and cut it exactly in half. From there, I measured half of that new length and lined it with some 3M heavy duty double-sided tape that I cut into 1/3 or 1/4 of its width so that it would fit the groove of the rubber. The other 1/3 or 1/4 piece of tape was used for the other half of the new length. I joined them in the middle, pressed it in hard, and let it sit overnight.

The next day, I cleaned the groove underneath my hood with some alcohol and then started from the middle and moved to the left side. Then I moved to the right side. You'll probably have some extra weatherstrip sticking out. So I cut them off at an angle (to match the hood) just as they overlapped the headlight gasket a bit.

Here's what the weatherstrip looks like with the hood down but not closed:

Here's what it looks like with the hood closed:

It rained pretty hard here last week and I did some high speed driving (70+ MPH) on the highway. As you can see by the following pictures, "it's super effective!"

Now I can actually clean my engine bay and not have to worry about it getting dirty. I wonder how Mels SS does it. But then again, he only drives 5 miles a year.

The part number for the 2010+ LaCrosse weatherstrip is 25859681 and it costs $17.62 (MSRP). Based on some research of the online stores and some calls, my somewhat local dealer had it for $18.77 after tax for me to pickup. It had to be ordered but it was cheaper than ordering online and having them charge their crazy shipping and handling fees. It took a week to get to the dealership.

Since I only used half of the original strip, I have the other half if anyone is interested.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

good idea! looks like it works pretty good. I need to find a substitute for the weather strip on the headlights. I dont like the strip that came with my after market lights so at the moment I have nothing there
Old 04-28-2013, 08:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you try to adjusting the bump stops for the hood? That gap would drive me insane
Old 04-28-2013, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91parkave
Did you try to adjusting the bump stops for the hood? That gap would drive me insane
That won't solve the issue at hand.

Also, there's only so much adjustment that can be made to the hood clearance. Dropping the hood even more risks interfering with the headlights.

The gap is not as "bad" as the image makes it out to be.

Quick Reply: Engine Bay Weatherstrip