LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

CAI worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI worth it?

Hey everyone, so I have a ton of mods I want to do to my car. I think I want to get all the small stuff out of the way and then I will get into a new paint job, new exhaust, etc. What are all of your opinions on a CAI? I have been looking at one from Cold air inductions as they seem to have a very good product. But I am wondering is it worth the money or is there something else I can do with $300 that would be better? I hear that a CAI will give some HP boosts as well as some MPG boosts and you also get some more volume from the engine. And I have heard people say that it makes your car a lot more responsive. Is all of this true, if so it sounds like it could be a good mod
Old 04-26-2013, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Of course its worth it. More clean fresh air is always worth it lol. For 300 $ I'd get the ssra and an slp lid. Well idk what kinda car yu have.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

I've got a 2006 Monte Carlo SS. Do you know of anything better then Cold Air Inductions? That's just who I have heard good things about
Old 04-26-2013, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Put a K@N on mine....all mental HP. You can hear the intake sucking but as far as HP goes, not noticible. And no mileage diff. If your planning a ton of mods, it's probably a good addition. That's why I did mine. Headers and catless DP on the shelf along with a couple other small things. Looking for a deal on an LS6 intake now.

Best change I've made so far???? STB's! Without a doubt. Makes the car SOOO much more fun to drive!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

My one gripe about the Cold Air Inductions air intake is that it doesn't fit the engine bay properly. There is a serious gap where it should be making contact with the front of the vehicle.

I pointed this out to them in an email a few years ago. I also asked them to fix it considering the price. I was told that people were not installing them properly.

It needs to be fixed. And no, black electrical tape isn't the solution for such an expensive product.

Last edited by GXP25; 04-26-2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Typo.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

Alright, so I have another question for you guys. Say you had $300-$500 to spend and you had a stock Monte Carlo SS, what would be the mod you would do? Would you go with a CAI or is there something else out there that I'm not thinking of that would be a much better mod for the money?
Old 04-26-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Intake manifold (tuning price not included) and either brakes or lowering springs.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say LS6 intake manifold, but with a tune you're looking at an easy $1k+ investment. If you're considering going turbo in the future I'd hold off on the CAI. If you're just going to stay all motor then I'd get the CAI. It's what a lot of us run and I think it does a fairly good job. But you won't really see any performance increase until you swap out that intake manifold
Old 04-26-2013, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i always found the cai to be a waste of money unless you make your own. wrapp the crossover with heat wrap first of all then consider it. my iat reads at least 10 degrees cooler at all times since i wrapped my crossover. ( i have a diagnostic tool with live data feed to check )
Old 04-27-2013, 06:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iMuf
Alright, so I have another question for you guys. Say you had $300-$500 to spend and you had a stock Monte Carlo SS, what would be the mod you would do? Would you go with a CAI or is there something else out there that I'm not thinking of that would be a much better mod for the money?
HANDS DOWN first mod should be; http://www.diablewtune.com/
Old 04-27-2013, 07:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ill_Born_ss
HANDS DOWN first mod should be; http://www.diablewtune.com/
Yea this was already on my list. But I heard you should do it after you put an exhaust on because then you can kind of tune it so it sounds good with the new exhaust and mufflers. I don't know how true that is.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Consider it the first tool in your tool box. It will allow you to get it right before any mods and to adjust accordingly as you mod. Lew is really good at what he does and will work with you and your car now and for years to come. You will be able to read and clear trouble codes and adjust your transmission, read and log any sensors and more!
Your or any vehicle comes with a basic calibration tune for each module and every vehicle is different and requires different fine tuning to reach it`s peak potential. Also this tool can do it`s job on any supported vehicle for life....free
Old 04-27-2013, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Few years ago under my old S/N I put up what i did after researching the CAI that are on the market. For our cars they are severely over priced for what they are... I made my own in a sense.

All the kits do is get rid of the tube going from the TB to the MAF with a a smooth tube, then give you a high flow filter with open breathing to the air behind the head light.

My solution looks like stock at first glance but if tested should yelled the same gains
Old 04-27-2013, 11:20 PM
Teching In

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...s-air-box.html
Old 04-29-2013, 01:36 AM
10 Second Club

No they are not. Just put a K&N drop in filter and take the headlight out when at the track and that is better than any CAI. DO the filter box mod as well. Tune + tranny cooler should be FIRST!!!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i disagree unless one was to put the inlet of the airbox in a better location and and find a way to seal off the airbox to the behind the headlight then it would be nice. however the transition that air most flow through the panel filter has to make a transition just to the inlet and then into the tiny *** MAF and through that accordian rubber tubing. So no sir stock GXP air boxes do in fact blow. not to mention sucking air from behind the headlight IMO it seems easiest and efficent so draw air from the fenderwell not to mention its cheap and easy
Old 04-29-2013, 03:12 AM
10 Second Club

The tiny *** MAF is not going to change. Correct me if im wrong but you reuse your MAF with the CAI. So that being said, no matter what size diameter piping you have, it is only gonna flow whatever the MAF can.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99corvette
The tiny *** MAF is not going to change. Correct me if im wrong but you reuse your MAF with the CAI. So that being said, no matter what size diameter piping you have, it is only gonna flow whatever the MAF can.
Not trying to be a dick, but you just bought your car correct? Other people here with a lot more experience are saying otherwise.

I like my CAI. It looks awesome, sounds good, and with a tune it helps a lot. With my little mods my tires now spin when it shifts into second.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cory1750
Not trying to be a dick, but you just bought your car correct? Other people here with a lot more experience are saying otherwise.

I like my CAI. It looks awesome, sounds good, and with a tune it helps a lot. With my little mods my tires now spin when it shifts into second.
I'm glad you think it looks cool and sounds cool but that's not why you buy them. Your car spins now probably because of the tune and firming the tranny shift up. If you think a hot air intake made your car that much faster you are an idiot. Yes I did just by my car...but not my first. I'm not 16. Look at my sig. I've worked on more LSX cars than you have driven. It's common physics no matter what car it's in. If you have a full 3 inch exhaust system with a 2 inch piece right in the middle guess what! It's only gonna flow what the 2 inch price can flow
Old 04-29-2013, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99corvette
I'm glad you think it looks cool and sounds cool but that's not why you buy them. Your car spins now probably because of the tune and firming the tranny shift up. If you think a hot air intake made your car that much faster you are an idiot. Yes I did just by my car...but not my first. I'm not 16. Look at my sig. I've worked on more LSX cars than you have driven. It's common physics no matter what car it's in. If you have a full 3 inch exhaust system with a 2 inch piece right in the middle guess what! It's only gonna flow what the 2 inch price can flow
I'm just saying with supporting mods it can make a difference. I don't think it does much alone though.

Quick Reply: CAI worth it?