LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Grand Prux GXP fogs swap with fusion fogs

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 07:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grand Prux GXP fogs swap with fusion fogs

Ok so this write up is for Pontiac Grand Prix GXP’s stock fog light to Fusion Fog light conversion. Its not a hard process and only cost me about 94 bucks and a lot of time cause I had to figure out how I wanted to do it. And there is tons of pics to make it easier for anyone else who wants to do it.

So first things first. This link is the link to where I purchased the fusion fogs from
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?50185-FS-Brand-new-OEM-%28not-replicas%29-Projector-Fusion-Fogs-for-HID/page8
and here they are in person side by side

Ok and now for the retro fitting to make them work which is a very simple but time consuming process. Another guy did it and he used bolts but I just couldn’t see how so I took a different route to make them work...you will see further down

Picture below is a side by side comparison of the new fusion fogs (on the left) and the old stock fogs (on the right)

And these are just pics of the new fusions

Here in this one I took the outside housings off of one of the old and one of the new just to compare. Its really unnecessary to do

Here is just the old fog in the stock adjustable bracket that is in the bumper. That bracket that the fogs are screwed to just pops off…but I must admit it is a real pain in the as* and a few choice words did help

This is the new fusion fogs in the stock adjuster bracket from the bumper. I was just mocking them up to see how theyd fit

And actually seemed like a way better fit

This is the new bracket from fusion fogs sitting in the old bumper bracket. The fog is taken out of the bracket here cause I wanted to look at it

Pics of the front of the bumper where I took them out. I pulled the honeycomb stuff out cause there was no other way to do this without removing bumper. And the honeycomb stuff pulls out…it’s a pain but it does just come out

Now for the fun crap. I used a very large hose clamp to hold the new fusions inside the bumper bracket. The trick is to make sure that the clamp doesn’t touch the lenses on the front…I put a piece of carboard inbetween them.

Also to center the fusions I used a budwiser box and a ruler to get it even on all the sides…and drinking a couple beers also helps out a lot

And to secure the new fusions in the bracket I used jb weld…
Heres the jb weld I used see the bottom to a trick I learned to set it quicker on the fogs
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_industrial-weld-shop-size-epoxy-%2810-oz-%29-jb-weld_7160039-p

And the first one is done

Old 04-29-2013, 07:32 AM
Staging Lane

I did put more jb weld on this one…I just didn’t feel like mixing up more at the time when I did this one

First one installed

When I got the other one done and installed It was dark so I just turned them on. I haven’t aimed them yet so they shine kinda high but even so their way better than the stock ones

Once I get them aimed where I want them ill take some pics of the light out put for yall

Trick for using the jb weld since its kinda runny for awhile after mixing. I would mix the jb up on a piece of card board and let it sit for about two hours to where it starts to get really sticky and tacky. Then take a heat gun and heat the jb weld up and itll get runny. Put a little on at a time with what ever application thingy you use and stick it in a freezer and it cools it back down to where its sticky and not runny again and just apply it like that.

This is how the fogs looked before…nice and yellowish. Now all I need is some switchbacks for my turn signal so its all white light…o and start my headlight retros

And just to show off my beauty here ya go

If there’s anything I forgot or any questions please feel free to post and ill answer em or make changes to the how to.

Side not I’m going to stick some hid’s in them sometime in the near future since they won’t melt the housings on these just to see
Old 04-29-2013, 07:33 AM
Staging Lane

I've got more pics with the new fogs aimed and all. I'll post them up after work for anyone interested
Old 04-29-2013, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why did you go through all of that when our stock projector fogs are pretty decent as it is. Just add HID ballasts and HID bulbs and you should be good.

But yes, definitely get those headlights retrofitted.

http://www.gpona.com/forums/04-08-gr...id-t21872.html
Old 04-29-2013, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

I did it just cause. Stock h11 halogen bulbs are a huge improvement over the stock gxp fogs and for 94 bucks definitely worth it. Now I can run hid's for long periods of time and not have to worry about melting the stock housings which I've seen several times. So its a personal preference really. I am the 2nd person I know who has done this I just tweaked and made better how to make em fit
Old 04-29-2013, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by saltybreadstick
I did it just cause. Stock h11 halogen bulbs are a huge improvement over the stock gxp fogs and for 94 bucks definitely worth it. Now I can run hid's for long periods of time and not have to worry about melting the stock housings which I've seen several times. So its a personal preference really. I am the 2nd person I know who has done this I just tweaked and made better how to make em fit
Huh? The stock GXP fog light bulbs are H11. I've had HIDs in them for 3 years now without any issues.

It looks like you went through a lot of work for nothing really. If you were looking for better light output, a low beam retrofit is where you want to go. HIDs in the fog light housing is an upgrade, but not worth swapping out the stock projectors for another projector that isn't a direct swap.

You would have saved $94 and the headache of swapping out and mounting those new fog projectors.

That'd be like swapping out your stock Grand Prix headlight housings and trying to modify the Impala headlights housing to fit. Same end result: crappy lighting.

But to each his own.

If you have money to give away, I've got a PayPal address that I can PM you, lol.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Just cause u don't wanna do it that's fine. But when Iput hhid's in these the difference will be night and day and will be that much better than stock. End result is much better fogs. And sorry I know that stock gxp fogs are h11 its just typo so gtfo. But there has been at least two cases where I've seen stock housings melt from the heat.

I put this here due to I'm gonna become more active here cause there's a lot of good info. If ya don't like the idea or the work then just click the back button on ur browser and look else where
Old 04-29-2013, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just cause u don't wanna do it that's fine. But when Iput hhid's in these the difference will be night and day and will be that much better than stock. End result is much better fogs. And sorry I know that stock gxp fogs are h11 its just typo so gtfo. But there has been at least two cases where I've seen stock housings melt from the heat.

I put this here due to I'm gonna become more active here cause there's a lot of good info. If ya don't like the idea or the work then just click the back button on ur browser and look else where
That's an error of ignorance, not a typo.

And an FYI: when you put HIDs in the stock GXP fog lights, "the difference will be night and day and will be that much better than stock."

If we didn't have fog projectors, sure this mod would be cool. But man what a waste of time and money considering the purpose of fog lights. And no, that's not subjective, lol.

If you're mad that I pointed out something that's useless then that is your right. But please don't be vulgar about it. Instead, man up and realize that you wasted your money and [maybe] your time (after all, your time is yours) on something that isn't an upgrade [for the GXP] by any stretch of the imagination.

And who are these two cases? Are you sure they are Grand Prix GXP owners? Maybe you confused the G8 for a Grand Prix. Maybe these people are using 55w HIDs (dumb).

And if these two cases pass all of the above cases, what is two out of all Grand Prix GXPs made with owners who have HIDs in their fog housings?

Please remember that people don't post and/or complain when stuff works.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont want to get in the middle of this, but i was kind of confused when i saw this thread earlier. i too was under the impression that the op swapped the factory fog light for one that was similar(just didnt want to say anything). was i wrong assuming that?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
i dont want to get in the middle of this, but i was kind of confused when i saw this thread earlier. i too was under the impression that the op swapped the factory fog light for one that was similar(just didnt want to say anything). was i wrong assuming that?
Assumption correct.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

alright so to clarify some things here

first that typo above was not an error of ignorance i was on my phone at work and just didnt catch my mistake. It was supposed to say that the stock h11 bulbs in these fusions (used for the upgrade) are a huge improvement of the same h11 bulbs in the stock gxp fogs.

second...the gxp fogs ive seen melt were with 55 watt bulbs in a grand prix gxp. It may not happen with everyone and i dont know the circumstances behind what happened on theirs but i saw these and decided to look into them.

to confirm the ones i swapped them with are similar to the stock fogs but way better. The light that comes out is much better directed and alot clearer than the oem fogs on gxp's.

So in my opinion when i decide to get me some HID's for these fusion fogs the light out put for them will just be that much better than stock gxp fogs with HID's. All in all this is a worth while upgrade in my opinion. You all are entitled to yours and i really dont care weather or not you agree with my doing but I like having good lighting and this definitely is a great out put improvement.

So now for some light output pics just because i feel like it now.

This was when they werent really aimed very well at all

And a picture of them with the honeycome lower grill put back together

and the finial output pic as they sit now.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Youre going to run the 55w hids in them? perhaps you should have done a side by side of the fusion vs factory fog light installed that way the difference in light output wouldve been more apparent. like i said i wasnt trying to get in the middle of this one just asked a question. not to mention my car has projector fogs with hids in them, and ive never had a problem with it yet(35w).
Old 04-30-2013, 12:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Those look damn good man good work
Old 04-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Yea I'm only gonna put 35 watt in these fusions. I actually did do a side by side comparision I just didn't take photos....should have. But all in all their definitely an upgrade as far as stock fogs vs fusions with h11 in both of em.
Thanks 91parkave
Old 04-30-2013, 01:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How are those poly mounts treating you now and days
Old 04-30-2013, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

so far so good. i think they just needed some break in time cause i dont get that stupid vibration at 23-25 mph anymore. Although i know for a fact now that the engine mount is shot
Old 05-01-2013, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as output goes, fusion fogs are miles ahead of the OEM GXP. The cutoff is straight and the lens optics are ideal for an HID upgrade. They look similar in appearance to the GXP and may seem like a useless mod, but the cutoff on those fusions will surprise you!
Old 05-02-2013, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

second...the gxp fogs ive seen melt were with 55 watt bulbs in a grand prix gxp. It may not happen with everyone and i dont know the circumstances behind what happened on theirs but i saw these and decided to look into them.
And that right there is the problem. Such a small housing cannot accommodate the high heat that is expelled from a 55 watt HID bulb. Especially if it was a DDM Tuning bulb (they run even hotter).

But if you plan on running 55 watt bulbs in those Fusions projectors then go right ahead. Maybe they'll withstand the heat better.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mike690003
As far as output goes, fusion fogs are miles ahead of the OEM GXP. The cutoff is straight and the lens optics are ideal for an HID upgrade. They look similar in appearance to the GXP and may seem like a useless mod, but the cutoff on those fusions will surprise you!
The picture I posted is of the GXP fogs with HIDs. It's clearly much better than the stock halogens. Based on what you people are saying, the Fusion's are better. But are they so much better to warrant the swap for fog use?

I don't think so. But that's my opinion. Low beam retrofit is the way to go. You won't even notice the fogs anymore lol.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

i think once i get some hid's into mine they will definitely be that much better and worth the money to upgrade. ill get hid's one day for em

Quick Reply: Grand Prux GXP fogs swap with fusion fogs