LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Steering Wheel wobble

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel wobble

ok so ive had this thread going over on gmls4 and grandprixforums for awhile now trying to solve this and i figured its time to get some more eyes and more opinions on this problem now.

Alright I get a bad steering wheel wobble at 55mph. So the following is a list of what I've done to try and solve this problem. The wobble is really noticable between about 47-56ish Mph and the car is aligned and drives straight when i let go of the steering wheel. but the steering wheel its self wobbles side to side and is annoying as crap.

New tie rod ends
New hubs
New CV half shafts
Replace sway bar bushings with polys
New sway bar end links
New rotors and breaks

And after all that on both sides on the front the stupid wobble is still there

only things not new are struts and LCA's

The following post with pics are a bunch of pics i took so i could get as many eyes as possible on this problem all help is welcome please
Old 06-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so theres about 50 pics here so this will be several posts lol
Starting with the drivers side

Old 06-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Old 06-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Passenger side. I did notice this and it looks like the previous owner may have hit a curb under the car or something…who knows what else. Theres a few scratches and all

Old 06-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

Old 06-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

A known problem I have known about is the leak from this CV half shaft. The leak has been there ever since I got it. Ve replaced the seal three times with three different brands. The current one is the one from the dealer ship which seems to leak the least amount but I can’t get it to stop leaking. I also checked all the tranny and engine mounts and they appear to be fine to the best of my knowledge

On a side not I examined all the welds and all and don’t see any cracks or anything as well
Old 06-09-2013, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

How are the tires? I had the same thing happen to me on my Honda Accord at about the same speed where the wheel would wobble bad. Ended up having a bad tire and stopped after I replaced them.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

tires are good. thought the same thing so i bought new ones and still had the same problem
Old 06-10-2013, 08:23 AM
Launching!

Steering wheel wobble is sometimes a symptom of an off balance tire, bad belt in a tire or maybe a bent rim, especially at a certain range of speed.

Check the steering rack? Have you had a shop properly diagnose the issue or are you just throwing parts at it hoping something will fix it?
Old 06-10-2013, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

i agree with checking the rack, my wheel had some slop in it and it ended up being the bolts loosened up on the rack.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blkchevyz
i agree with checking the rack, my wheel had some slop in it and it ended up being the bolts loosened up on the rack.
I've checked the rack myself as I have access to a full garage with lifts. They were tight and I even tried to tighten them even more.
I had the wobble before new tires and still the same after new tires

I have not had a shop look at it as all the places arpind here want 75 dollars plus just to diagnose it. So yes basically i was trouble shootinh it with new parts lol
Old 06-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by saltybreadstick
I've checked the rack myself as I have access to a full garage with lifts. They were tight and I even tried to tighten them even more.
I had the wobble before new tires and still the same after new tires

I have not had a shop look at it as all the places arpind here want 75 dollars plus just to diagnose it. So yes basically i was trouble shootinh it with new parts lol
Well, your car is definitely not suffering since you've replaced a lot of parts but I bet your wallet is suffering. I would just have it diagnosed so you can stop banging your head against the wall lol
Old 06-10-2013, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

first thing i would point at is tires. do you know how they balanced them? could any wheel weights have fallen off? hows the air pressure? maybe the rims could be bent? lastly hows the power steering. ive seen some vehicles where they have some air in the system and can cause shakes. you could try doing some tight figure 8's to work any air out.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ghetto joe
could any wheel weights have fallen off?
Yes they can, last time I got tires they came off before I hit 55. I'd double check the weights, and maybe check the brake rotors.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Brian396
Yes they can, last time I got tires they came off before I hit 55. I'd double check the weights, and maybe check the brake rotors.
Alright I'll have them recheck the tire balancing cause their new and under a 3 month Warranty and why the rotors. If I can solve it I'll just pay to have it diagnosed
Old 06-11-2013, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just check to see if the weights are still there.
Make sure there is nothing behind the rotors or something stuck in one of the vanes.
There are other things that will make the wobble, but you can check those out for free before you pay someone to diagnose it.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Brian396
Just check to see if the weights are still there.
Make sure there is nothing behind the rotors or something stuck in one of the vanes.
There are other things that will make the wobble, but you can check those out for free before you pay someone to diagnose it.
OK the weights are on the tire. None appear to have fallen off. The rim was cracked but was repaired by rim guard and checked to make sure it was still round and not bent and all. But even when the rim was cracked and repaired I didn't have a wobble for a long time so I don't think the cracked rim is causing it. This Saturday I'm going to rotate the front rims to the rear just for shi*s and giggles to rule that out

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel wobble