LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

'06 Monte SS DOD/AFM problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '06 Monte SS DOD/AFM problem

Hi folks, about 3 weeks ago I bought a mint '06 SS with the 5.3 LS4 and 87k miles. The only mod so far is Hooker Aero Chamber mufflers. Since day one the engine has made a noticeable clicking sound when in 4 cylinder mode (only at low speed...can't hear it on the freeway). Then today on the freeway I noticed a large puff of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust when the engine switches from 4 cyl to 8 cyl mode. This only happens when on the gas a little, not while coasting. The blue smoke goes away after a second or two. Are the noise and smoke related and what exactly is the problem here? I'd like some input before I take it back to the dealer.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The ticking is usuallu the timing chain. It doesn't mean there s a problen its just audible. Blue smoke is usually burnt oil. Could be a bad valve or lifter. Are you burning oil?
Old 06-30-2013, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by baltsk8er69
The ticking is usuallu the timing chain. It doesn't mean there s a problen its just audible. Blue smoke is usually burnt oil. Could be a bad valve or lifter. Are you burning oil?
To be honest, I don't know. Only had the car 3 weeks. The blue smoke doesn't appear during 99% of driving. It ONLY appears when the engine has been in 4 cyl mode for several minutes and then switches back to 8 cyl mode under throttle, otherwise there's no smoke and I don't smell burning oil.

It's like the engine has to be in 4 cyl mode for a while for the smoke to appear. If it's only been in 4 cyl mode for ~30 seconds on the freeway, the smoke does NOT appear when switching back to 8.

There's also that loud clicking sound that I hear in 4 cylinder mode, but I only hear it at low speeds with the windows down. I'm sure the smoke and clicking/ticking sound from the valve train are related, but not sure how.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's normal its a nuance of the dod.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I disabled DOD with my handheld tuner and haven't had any problems in the 5 years since i did it.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

I had been complaining abt an audible "chatter" at low speeds when driving through the city in 4-cyl mode. The noise would stop as soon as I slowed to <25mph, the threahold at which DoD would kick it back into 8-cyl mode. Never figured out what it was, but was told it was possibly bad DoD lifters. I know that when I selected a non-DoD tune w the Diablo, there was no more noise.

I have a Diablo for sale, cheap, lol.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I noticed the same thing which is why i disabled it. If I did a lot of highway driving I would keep it enabled, but since I don't I have no desire for it.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The chatter is the timing chain.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Forgive my ignorance, but how does the timing chain relate to DoD? ...JW, b/c I'd like to notify the guy I sold my totaled SS to so that he can factor that into the rebuild.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Chris, glad nobody was hurt and you are probably correct about time to move on.

You asked, "How does the timing chain relate to the DoD". Well it is not really the timing chain as much as it is the timing chain deflectors (guides), they are made of plastic/nylon and when your car is new the chain actually rubs against them. They have been documented as breaking and/or falling off into the oil pan in as early as 10.000 miles. Once this happens you get the famous DoD timing chain chatter as there is nothing to take up the slack which is created during DoD mode (not enough constant pressure on all the lifters)

Any way good luck in the hunt for new wheels!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Ill_Born_ss
You asked, "How does the timing chain relate to the DoD". Well it is not really the timing chain as much as it is the timing chain deflectors (guides), they are made of plastic/nylon and when your car is new the chain actually rubs against them. They have been documented as breaking and/or falling off into the oil pan in as early as 10.000 miles. Once this happens you get the famous DoD timing chain chatter as there is nothing to take up the slack which is created during DoD mode (not enough constant pressure on all the lifters)
Just to clarify, the engine makes two different sounds. The first is a slight "tick" at idle. I hear it whether the engine is cold or warm. It's not a huge deal but definitely annoying.

The other sound is a very loud clicking sound that I hear when in 4 cylinder mode at low speeds. I don't hear it in 4 cylinder mode on the freeway, probably because of all the other noise.

The loud clicking in 4 cylinder mode is probably the DoD lifters from what I'm told. The softer ticking while at idle is what I'm confused about.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

The ticking at idle is probably normal lifter, pushrod and cam lobe wear.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeeJay3800
Just to clarify, the engine makes two different sounds. The first is a slight "tick" at idle. I hear it whether the engine is cold or warm. It's not a huge deal but definitely annoying.
Your car is an 06 so you probably have the EATON lifters and yes the Delphi`s are somewhat better, there has been a few updates to the Delphi`s. There is one thing you can check for the idle (cold/warm tick) http://www.gmls4.com/index.php/topic,2098.0.html

The other sound is a very loud clicking sound that I hear when in 4 cylinder mode at low speeds. Keep your shift lever in the 3 position at any speeds below 50 mph, this way your Chev 5.3 will not go into DoD mode. I don't hear it in 4 cylinder mode on the freeway, probably because of all the other noise.

The loud clicking in 4 cylinder mode is probably the DoD lifters from what I'm told.This is a possibility but you can eliminate the chatter if you simply put the gear selector in 3rd under 50 mph and if your chatter is no longer there it is the timing chain chatter you were hearing. The softer ticking while at idle is what I'm confused about.
There is lots of information all over the place to do with this symptom.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine has always puffed blue smoke in DoD mode.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

DOD 4 cyl. mode? what's that??

hahaha... disabled that **** 1 month after I bought my car new in 2005... no issues at all here, no burning oil, etc etc....

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 07-13-2013, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Drive in 3rd...brilliant!

Quick Reply: '06 Monte SS DOD/AFM problem