LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super
View Poll Results: Super or GS?
Get the Lacrosse Super
65.00%
Keep the Regal GS
35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Found a Super Lacrosse for sale (Trade my Regal in?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found a Super Lacrosse for sale (Trade my Regal in?)

Hi Guys

Feeling conflicted here.

Found a black Super for sale with 61,000 mi. From the paperwork I saw, it looks like no transmission work was done leading me to believe it's original. I drove the car. Such an eloquent beast <3

Couldn't feel any roughness or issues with the car. The very interesting thing is that the car is being priced as a V6, market wise. They are selling it for $3k less than what it's worth. When the salesman popped the hood, he had the 'OMG' face and then told me he didn't know they came with a V8.

Well my dilemma is whether I should trade my MINT 1998 Regal GS for it. Bought from original owner with 44,000 mi on it. Not even winter driven.

I would like to mod one but want to commit before spending the mod money. Which one would you guys take? The supremely rare yet potentially unreliable V8 Super or an older yet clean 3800 S/C V6?

Yes, conflicted
Old 10-14-2013, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

I don't think I'd trade in a mint L67 Regal for an LS4. The Super is pretty cool and rare, but I think Regals are pretty cool too and not a ton of people have those with an L67 in them, at least not around here. Basically to me it's a tossup so I'd just stick with what you have especially since you need to budget in trans upgrades.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:39 PM
12 Second Club

Having had both, it's V8 all day for me! The L67 is a great motor and there's lots of aftermarket parts for it, but that V8 feel and grumble can't be beat... That said, in the end it's personal preference.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get the Super and be done with it!!!
Old 10-15-2013, 12:48 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the responses. I know the Regal can be pretty stout in the 1/4 and the track so I'm not sure how the LS4 would compare.

Oh man am I on the fence. I want both but that's impossible unless I sell my G8, lol. Such a hard choice

This is my Regal

Old 10-15-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Get the Super and treat her like a lady and she will be reliable the only issue you could have is the tranny but if your not thrashing the car it will hold up. The LS4 Engine is very strong so no worry's there.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:37 AM
Teching In

Been looking at performance builds for both cars.

LS4 is great out of the box but very limited aftermarket but a Diablew seems to be the way to go. These cars sound badass with cutouts, headers and exhaust.

The GS can be done any which way from here. All depends on your end goal however timing is a huge deal with the 3800. Again, a custom tune would work in addition to whatever mods you do put down. You won't get that awesome V8 sound but you can have a nice whiny supercharger sound.

Big difference is I own the GS outright whereas the Super would have to be financed. The debate in my head is whether I want to finance another car (in conjunction with my G8) or use that money on mods for the GS. But the Super is rare and I may never have a chance to grab one. GS may be become collectible as well. If i only I had 20/20 hindsight now.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:09 AM
Teching In

nice regal I would keep it with those low miles- if you need it to go quicker you can always mod it a tad. I recently sold a low miles 39k impala ss with the same v8 ls4 it became a oil user when hiway driven it would drink a qt every 1000 miles! which is common on the ls4 also my tranny had to be serviced under warranty
I still own and drive a 02 grand prix gtp l67 and an 04 monte carlo ss l67 both are strong and no issues or oil drinking
pm me if you have more questions
Old 10-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Teching In

The more literature I read on the Super, the more tempting it becomes...

Apparently it's more than a counterpart to the GXP / SS
Apparently crafted by the GM Performance division which did the V-series Caddys.
Stabilitrak
Larger rotors
Woven leather seats
Tighter teeth in the rack and pinion steering for better feel
The rear 'ground effects style' bumper with 3.5" tips

Not sure how much it has in common with the GXP but it seems like the Super went just a bit beyond the Pontiac and Chevy sister cars

Both Buicks are in great shape. I drive about 5000 miles per year so none of my cars really get beaten on.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GXPeon
The more literature I read on the Super, the more tempting it becomes...

Apparently it's more than a counterpart to the GXP / SS
Apparently crafted by the GM Performance division which did the V-series Caddys.
Stabilitrak
Larger rotors
Woven leather seats
Tighter teeth in the rack and pinion steering for better feel
The rear 'ground effects style' bumper with 3.5" tips

Not sure how much it has in common with the GXP but it seems like the Super went just a bit beyond the Pontiac and Chevy sister cars

Both Buicks are in great shape. I drive about 5000 miles per year so none of my cars really get beaten on.
Just get the dam thing Already!!!!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your Regal is clean man and you have to love the sound of that charger on top, but with that being said I am a little biased for the Super. My dad has one. I drive that car whenever I can. So much fun. Minus the lack of aftermarket there isn't much to complain about.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 08 pimpala ss
Just get the dam thing Already!!!!
Just debating if I want to finance another vehicle

Originally Posted by Breathing Fire
Your Regal is clean man and you have to love the sound of that charger on top, but with that being said I am a little biased for the Super. My dad has one. I drive that car whenever I can. So much fun. Minus the lack of aftermarket there isn't much to complain about.
I'd probably go with LEW tune and whatever bolt ons. Don't imagine doing the $9000 turbo upgrade, lol.

How do you like the handling?

I love how the car can top 150mph. Makes me wonder about high speed stability.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:15 AM
Teching In

Like M.Night Shymalan, I bring a twist!

Turns out I might be losing my job in a couple of weeks . If I do, I may have to get rid of the G8 due to finance. I may trade it on the Super assuming it's still around and own it outright along with my GS.

Oh life, why do you have to suck...

): ):
Old 10-26-2013, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

Like M.Night Shymalan, I bring a twist!

Turns out I might be losing my job in a couple of weeks . If I do, I may have to get rid of the G8 due to finance. I may trade it on the Super assuming it's still around and own it outright along with my GS.

Oh life, why do you have to suck...

): ):
Sounds like America. I got my hours cut in half a few months ago. I can still make payments but not much more then that.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hi Guys

Feeling conflicted here.

Well my dilemma is whether I should trade my MINT 1998 Regal GS for it. Bought from original owner with 44,000 mi on it. Not even winter driven.

I would like to mod one but want to commit before spending the mod money. Which one would you guys take? The supremely rare yet potentially unreliable V8 Super or an older yet clean 3800 S/C V6?

Yes, conflicted
I had the same color GS - really liked the car. Wish I had a S/C instead of a V8 - the gas mileage is 4.2 mpg less lifetime avg. Like others said, you can bump on the 3800.

Sorry, but I don't think a Super will ever be collectable.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Launching!

Dang that GS is clean.

The Super vs the GS is like night and day.

I loved my '00 GS until I drove the Super.

Gas mileage should never be an issue with any car that requires premium. If you can't afford the gas, then you can't afford the car. just sayin'.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Teching In

LOL

Every car I've driven since I got my license (1998) required premium. My work commute is 15 miles. I average roughly 5,000 miles of driving / year.

Quality on the GS is lulz but the powertrain is strong and lively.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Super LaX
Gas mileage should never be an issue with any car that requires premium. If you can't afford the gas, then you can't afford the car. just sayin'.
Had mine since new ...

But now that these cars are 8 years old I don't think the "playing with the big dogs" mentality applies anymore. That debate now goes to the 2014 SS and SRT Charger forums.

Looks like the OP got a G8 anyway - congrats and hope he enjoys it.

Quick Reply: Found a Super Lacrosse for sale (Trade my Regal in?)