LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Monsoon upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon upgrade

I have the factory nav head unit in my car want want to keep it but upgrade the stereo. Are there any options to do this while keeping the stock head unit and getting better audio?
Old 10-25-2013, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 06_GXP
I have the factory nav head unit in my car want want to keep it but upgrade the stereo. Are there any options to do this while keeping the stock head unit and getting better audio?
Sure there i am car audio tech for about 17 years now and i have people all the time wanting to keep oem head units so i usually first recommend jl audio Hd or Xd amps because u can use straight single out of your oem monsoon amp with out LOC's (line output converters) And then u build from there door speakers subs ect ect... Any questions feel free to pm me or here is good to!
Old 10-26-2013, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

So pull the factory amp and wire in a JL?
Ty so much the stock stuff is bad bad
Old 10-26-2013, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skydog
So pull the factory amp and wire in a JL?
Ty so much the stock stuff is bad bad
Yes i would recommend using a xd 600/6 or the new xd 1000/5 but actually leave the stock amp and use the output side for input just get a decent set rca's and clip one end of them and solider them to the outputs for single here is a tech sheet on your car

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix DirectWire 2.0 Vehicle Information
Audio
Item Wire Color Polarity Wire Location
Radio 12V orange + radio harness
Radio Ground black/white - radio harness
Radio Ignition (Class 2 Serial Data)
Radio Illumination gray (dimmer) + radio harness
Factory Amp Turn-on same as power antenna wire
Power Antenna purple + radio harness
Left Front Speaker (+/-) tan - gray +,- radio harness or amplifier
The amplifier is under the rear deck.
Right Front Speaker (+/-) lt. green - dk. green +,- radio harness or amplifier
Left Rear Speaker (+/-) brown - yellow +,- radio harness or amplifier
Right Rear Speaker (+/-) dk. blue - lt. blue +,- radio harness or amplifier
Old 10-27-2013, 08:19 AM
Staging Lane

Ty very much. Then the output from new amp I have to run new speaker wire? One more for u I put front and rear speakers in and had to bypass all the aftermarket cross overs in the speakers. Does the factory amp have some crazy cross over built in?
Ty
Old 10-27-2013, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ty very much. Then the output from new amp I have to run new speaker wire? One more for u I put front and rear speakers in and had to bypass all the aftermarket cross overs in the speakers. Does the factory amp have some crazy cross over built in?
Ty
On some certin models i have see the rear deck speakers be a 2 way setup and if your is there will be 2 other sets of wires not listed on the sheet should like a blue/black and green/black they should be twisted together and yes just run the output from the new amp to the opp side of where u got your single and if your car does have the 2way setup those wires are a great sub single
Old 11-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Teching In

You seem like the go to man then Pimpala!

I went to get a quote on leaving the stock head in wiring in my amps and subs and they suggested replacing all the stock speakers sooner than later. They also said to use a line booster and line output converter. They said the factory head would likely not put a lot of power out and could damage the speakers and sub because of a degradation in signal quality without the line boosters. Does this sound right? How is the factory wiring in the car, would I need to run all new speaker wire to the speakers?

They quoted me about $600 for the install without doing new speakers if my current wiring for the amps are still good which included the line booster. They also told me that the center speaker in the dash would likely be rendered non functional because adding it on a left or right channel could mess with the power output.

Also, is it possible to just wire in a sub to the current Monsoon setup?
Old 11-04-2013, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 06_GXP
You seem like the go to man then Pimpala!

I went to get a quote on leaving the stock head in wiring in my amps and subs and they suggested replacing all the stock speakers sooner than later. They also said to use a line booster and line output converter. They said the factory head would likely not put a lot of power out and could damage the speakers and sub because of a degradation in signal quality without the line boosters. Does this sound right? How is the factory wiring in the car, would I need to run all new speaker wire to the speakers?

They quoted me about $600 for the install without doing new speakers if my current wiring for the amps are still good which included the line booster. They also told me that the center speaker in the dash would likely be rendered non functional because adding it on a left or right channel could mess with the power output.

Also, is it possible to just wire in a sub to the current Monsoon setup?
Yes u can just wire a sub in just use the left rear output for single u can use a LOC depending on the amp. Now for them saying u need boosters there just full of sh#$%^ttttt U are keeping the stock headunit so keep the working monsoon amp that has a amplified single out if u use a lower end amp u will need locs line out converters if using a jl amp my choice u will not need locs or any booster.. Just think about what they told that u need a booster and a loc they would achieving the same thing by not using either and 600$ for a amp install?????? WTF i charge a 100 for a amp 50 for a pair of speakers install u would need about 80$ in wire power wire rcas ect the jl xd700/5 is 499 full crack i sell it for 350 all day i would use jl c2 in your doors and for the back there are 125$ per That is 800 with amp wires labor Just my opinion
Old 11-05-2013, 10:43 AM

I would agree with pimpala. They are feeding you a sales pitch.

I have an 04 GXP and was looking into doing something of the same thing but to start with just adding an amp a subs. I was looking at the wiring connections of the GTP Monsoon system (here) and since the Monsoon amp has separate outputs for the tweets, mids, center, fronts, rear and subs I'm not sure I would connect the LOC to the rear output. Since the amp has separate outputs I would guarantee the amp has a built in crossover and you won't get your full range (lows or highs) out of the rear outputs.

I was looking at tapping into the line ins of the amp and feeding my Crunch CA150 with it but I believe I read a thread on another forum that you had to use the negative from one channel and the positive from another channel since the factory amp is volume aware and would cut off when the car was started.

Thoughts?
Old 11-05-2013, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Antax
I would agree with pimpala. They are feeding you a sales pitch.

I have an 04 GXP and was looking into doing something of the same thing but to start with just adding an amp a subs. I was looking at the wiring connections of the GTP Monsoon system (here) and since the Monsoon amp has separate outputs for the tweets, mids, center, fronts, rear and subs I'm not sure I would connect the LOC to the rear output. Since the amp has separate outputs I would guarantee the amp has a built in crossover and you won't get your full range (lows or highs) out of the rear outputs.

I was looking at tapping into the line ins of the amp and feeding my Crunch CA150 with it but I believe I read a thread on another forum that you had to use the negative from one channel and the positive from another channel since the factory amp is volume aware and would cut off when the car was started.

Thoughts?
First off thank you!! And sure its possible to grab signal from the factory amp but i dont recommend it for one u could loose sound on your other speakers for two you will get noise unless u plan on bypassing the fact totally.. For u if your only gonna hook up subs in your car use the low end wires for the rear speakers i think i mentioned the colors in a earlier post and use a loc if your using crunch crap no problems
Old 11-08-2013, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

great info.
i might have to look into doing this as well, i repaced my back speakers with some aftermarket ones with the correct ohm but they really didnt make much of a difference.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

dumI have two question on new head unit, one the nav screen does not go to night mode? Second what is this car speed signal the head unit needs?
Ty Skydog.dum dumPioneer x850bt
Old 11-11-2013, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dumI have two question on new head unit, one the nav screen does not go to night mode? Second what is this car speed signal the head unit needs?
Ty Skydog.dum dumPioneer x850bt
yes it goes to night mode only if u hook up the dimmer wire as far as i know... and the speed sense wire is not needed but i will help ur gps position and there is a option i think on that model u can see your speed on screen if its hooked up but it might only be on the z150n and on your gxp its really easy to get a speed sense wire its at the bcm left side of dash or if u used a metra interface its on it
Old 11-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Ty so much will hook up light dimmer wire. For speed wire can not find on alldata coming out of bcm?? Mmmm? I see cruise control cancel signal.... must be close.
Ty!!!
Old 11-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Where is the best place to grab that headlight switch wire buddy? Do you know what color and does head unit want to see bat volts or ground with lights are turned on. Because at night that damn thing is a spot light!!! Lol
Ty!!!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2013, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

2008 Pontiac Grand Prix DirectWire 2.0 Vehicle Information

Audio
Item Wire Color Polarity Wire Location
Radio 12V orange + radio, gray 24 pin plug, pin B1
Radio Ground black/white - radio, gray 24 pin plug, pin A12
Radio Ignition (Class 2 Serial Data)
Radio Illumination gray (dimmer) + radio, gray 24 pin plug, pin B4
Factory Amp Turn-on same as power antenna
Power Antenna purple + radio, gray 24 pin plug, pin B3
Left Front Speaker (+/-) tan - gray +,- radio, gray 24 pin plug, pins A8 and A9
If equipped, the amplifier is under the rear deck. On vehicles with amplifier, the speaker wires are tan - gray at the amplifier, 16 pin plug (C2), pins 15 and 16. The tweeter wires are black - yellow at the amplifier, 16 pin plug (C2), pins 1 and 2.
Right Front Speaker (+/-) lt. green - dk. green +,- radio, gray 24 pin plug, pins B11 and B10
If equipped, the amplifier is under the rear deck. On vehicles with amplifier, the speaker wires are lt. green - dk. green at the amplifier, 16 pin plug (C2), pins 13 and 14. The tweeter wires are lt. green - purple at the amplifier, 16 pin plug (C2), pins 3 and 4.
Left Rear Speaker (+/-) brown - yellow +,- radio, gray 24 pin plug, pins B8 and B9
If equipped, the amplifier is under the rear deck. On vehicles with amplifier, the speaker wires are brown - yellow at the amplifier, 16 pin plug (C2), pins 6 and 5.
Right Rear Speaker (+/-) dk. blue - lt. blue +,- radio, gray 24 pin plug, pins A11 and A10
If equipped, the amplifier is under the rear deck. On vehicles with amplifier, the speaker wires are dk. blue - lt. blue at the amplifier, 16 pin plug (C2), pins 8 and 7.
Center Channel (+/-) yellow - lt. blue +,- amplifier, 8 pin plug, pins 3 and 4
If equipped, the amplifier is under the rear deck.
Subwoofer (+/-) dk. blue/white - lt. green/black +,- amplifier, 8 pin plug, pins 8 and 7
If equipped, the amplifier is under the rear deck.
Aux. Audio Input Left (+/-) N/A
Aux. Audio Input Right (+/-) N/A
RSE Video (+/-) N/A
RSE Audio Left (+/-) N/A
RSE Audio Right (+/-) N/A
Satellite Radio 12 Volts orange + Digital Radio Receiver, black 16 pin plug, pin 16
If equipped, the Digital Radio Receiver is in the driver side of the trunk.
Satellite Radio Ground black/white - Digital Radio Receiver, black 16 pin plug, pin 9
Satellite Radio Ignition (Class 2 Serial Data)
Satellite Radio Antenna (coaxial cable)
Satellite Audio Left (+/-) brown/white - black/white (common) +,- Digital Radio Receiver, blk 16 pin plg, pins 2, 10
Satellite Audio Right (+/-) dk. green/white - black/white (common) +,- Digital Radio Receiver, blk 16 pin plg, pins 3, 10
USE THIS GUIDE IF U CAN OR HERES ANOTHER
Old 11-12-2013, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

THE FULL GUIDE ON CAR

12 Volts orange (20A), orange (15A), orange (15A) + BCM, 52 pin plug (C1), pins 46, 51, and 52
The BCM (Body Control Module) is under the driver dash, to the left of the steering column.
Second 12 Volts red (50A), red (40A) + fuse box, rear, black plug, pins F10 and F7
The fuse box is in the passenger end of the dash.
Starter yellow + ignition switch, wht 6 pin plug, pin B or BCM, 52 pin plug (C1), pin 21
The BCM (Body Control Module) is under the driver dash, to the left of the steering column.
Second Starter N/A
Ignition pink + ignition switch, blk 6 pin plug, pin B or BCM, 52 pin plug (C1), pin 22
Second Ignition N/A
Third Ignition N/A
Accessory brown + ignition switch, blk 6 pin plug, pin C or BCM, 52 pin plug (C1), pin 23
Second Accessory N/A
Third Accessory N/A
Keysense lt. green - ignition switch, wht 6 pin plug, pin D or BCM, 52 pin plug (C1), pin 40
The BCM (Body Control Module) is under the driver dash, to the left of the steering column. If the service security light comes on during remote start or after key takeover, see Tech Doc 1502.
Data Bus purple to lt. green (Class 2 Serial Data) data data link connector, pin 2 or BCM, 52 pin plug (C1), pin 38
The BCM (Body Control Module) is under the driver dash, to the left of the steering column. The data link connector is under the driver dash. The security light wire is yellow (+) at the BCM, 52 pin plug (C1), pin 11.
Can Bus High N/A
Can Bus Low N/A
Can Bus Sw N/A
Power Lock red/black - driver kick or BCM, 52 pin plug (C2), pin 2
Power Unlock orange/black - driver kick or BCM, 52 pin plug (C2), pin 11
Lock Motor gray 5 wire driver kick or BCM, 52 pin plug (C2), pin 52
Driver Unlock Motor tan 5 wire driver kick or BCM, 52 pin plug (C2), pin 46
Passenger Unlock Motor tan 5 wire driver kick or BCM, 52 pin plug (C2), pin 51
Parking Lights (-) brown/white - headlight switch or BCM, 18 pin plug, pin 8
Parking Lights (+) brown + passenger kick or fuse box, gray plug, pin E11
Hazards tan - hazard switch or BCM, 18 pin plug, pin 16
Turn Signal (Left) lt. blue/white (F), yellow (R) + BCM, 52 pin plug (C1), pin 41; 52 pin plug (C2), pin 43
Turn Signal (Right) dk. blue/white (F), dk. green (R) + BCM, 52 pin plug (C1), pin 42; 52 pin plug (C2), pin 48
Headlight white - headlight switch or BCM, 18 pin plug, pin 7
AutoLights lt. blue - headlight switch or BCM, 18 pin plug, pin 10
The BCM (Body Control Module) is under the driver dash, to the left of the steering column. Trigger a ground to this wire to turn off autolights.
Reverse Light lt. green + driver kick or BCM, 52 pin plug (C2), pin 42
Left Front Door Trigger gray/black (ajar), tan (open) - driver kick or BCM, 52 pin plug (C2), pins 26 and 25
Right Front Door Trigger black/white - passenger kick or BCM, 52 pin plug (C2), pin 17
Left Rear Door Trigger lt. blue/black - driver kick or BCM, 52 pin plug (C2), pin 7
Right Rear Door Trigger lt. green/black - passenger kick or BCM, 52 pin plug (C2), pin 5
Dome Supervision gray/black + passenger kick or BCM, 52 pin plug (C1), pin 43
Trunk/Hatch Pin red/black - driver kick or BCM, 52 pin plug (C2), pin 3
Rear Glass Pin N/A
Hood Pin pink/black - hood switch or BCM, 52 pin plug (C1), pin 26
Trunk/Hatch Release use trunk release motor
Trunk Release Motor lt. blue 5 wire driver kick or BCM, 52 pin plug (C2), pin 45
Fuel Door Release N/A
Power Sliding Door (Left) N/A
Power Sliding Door (Right) N/A
Factory Alarm Arm lt. green or purple - driver kick or BCM, 52 pin plug (C2), pin 22
The BCM (Body Control Module) is under the driver dash, to the left of the steering column. Meter this wire while turning the key in the driver door key cylinder.
Factory Alarm Disarm purple - driver kick or BCM, 52 pin plug (C2), pin 24
The BCM (Body Control Module) is under the driver dash, to the left of the steering column. Meter this wire while turning the key in the driver door key cylinder.
Disarm No Unlock see factory alarm disarm
Trunk Alarm Shunt N/A
Tachometer white ac PCM, blue plug, pin 21 (V6) or 25 (V8)
The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is in the engine compartment, in the air cleaner assembly. Can also go to any fuel injector and use the wire that is NOT pink (V6) or pink/black (V8).
Wait to Start N/A
Neutral Safety N/A
Clutch Pedal N/A
Fuel Pump gray + passenger kick or fuse box, gray plug, pin B8
Rear Defroster white - latched BCM, 52 pin plug (C2), pin 16
Mirror Defroster N/A
Left Front Heated Seat purple + latched BCM, 52 pin plug (C2), pin 40
Right Front Heated Seat tan/white + latched BCM, 52 pin plug (C2), pin 39
Speed Sense dk. green ac PCM, blue plug, pin 22 (V6) or 39 (V8)
The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is in the engine compartment, in the air cleaner assembly. Also found at the radio, black 12 pin plug, pin D. May not be present of vehicles without navigation.
Brake Wire white + driver kick or BCM, 52 pin plug (C2), pin 30
Parking Brake orange/black - parking brake switch or BCM, 52 pin plug (C2), pin 9
Horn Trigger brown to black - horn switch or BCM, 52 pin plug (C1), pin 4
Wipers gray + BCM, 52 pin plug (C1), pin 12
Left Front Window (Up/Down) dk. blue - brown A driver window switch, brown plug, pins C and D
Right Front Window (Up/Down) lt. blue - tan A driver kick, door harness
Left Rear Window (Up/Down) dk. green - purple A driver kick, door harness
Right Rear Window (Up/Down) lt. green - purple A driver kick, door harness
Sun Roof (Open/Close) motor part of module
Old 11-12-2013, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

AWSOME!!! :-) :-) Got it thank you aton!!!

Quick Reply: Monsoon upgrade