LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Intake upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake upgrade question

I'm new to my 06 GXP and it's only got about 32k miles on it. My gas mileage sucks but I think it's just because I live in Northern WV and there's not a flat road in the state lol. The route I take to work is about 20 miles and mostly highway but again it's up and down hills so I don't think the DoD really has a chance to do much.

So that being the case I'm looking at upgrading my intake to help with both the MPG and boost my HP a little so my question is this.....Is there any real advantage to spending over $200 for a cold air intake over a Short Ram Intake for $60? I was thinking since there's no place to have a "true" cold air system in the car since there's no place to put it that's not in the engine compartment and the box for the cold air system doesn't seem like it would do much, there might not be enough of an advantage to spend the extra money.

I know I can get a K&N filter for the car that might help but if I'm going to spend $40 on the filter, I might as well get the Short Ram and have it at least look cooler if not work better.

Any advice on this would be great.....Thanks
Old 01-10-2014, 11:39 AM
Banned

I have short ram, im satisfied with it. Notice some difference and makes your exhaust tone deeper even with stock exhaust. I had k&n drop in filter also, both are good. I like the intake better even tho its right above a nice hot pipe lol
Old 01-10-2014, 11:45 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a pace for true air which is fenderwell which you can easily.make yourself. If you're gonna spend 200+ on a intake you might as well save for a intake manifold swap
Old 01-10-2014, 11:49 AM
Banned

Id love to do the swap but idk wtf im doing when it comes to projects like that haha
Old 01-10-2014, 12:03 PM

Yea I'm right there with ya. I had a 75 Camaro back in the late 80s and I could work on that no problem. Plenty of room in the engine compartment and about 1/3 of the electronics. I can figure things out fairly well but I've never had to mess with fuel injection systems and all that before this. All I've had for years till now have been just daily drivers, and as long as they ran I didn't mess with it lol.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Banned

Lol yup. My first car was an 89 civic hatch. I never worked on a car before in my life and i replaced a clutch and flywheel in it myself with just the haynes manual. Used to be so easy haha
Old 01-10-2014, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

I just run a K&N replacement on the stock airbox that has been drilled.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarineBri68
I'm new to my 06 GXP and it's only got about 32k miles on it. My gas mileage sucks but I think it's just because I live in Northern WV and there's not a flat road in the state lol. The route I take to work is about 20 miles and mostly highway but again it's up and down hills so I don't think the DoD really has a chance to do much.
Given this description your best bang for your buck is to get a DiabloSport inTune or Trinity. First to turn off the DOD as it will cost you in the future... much more than anything. Next is with those driving conditions your torque converter is being overworked which creates excessive heat which will grenade your trans eventually. The inTune/Trinity will also allow you Transmission tuning/adjustments. There are also other benifets to the tuner.

So that being the case I'm looking at upgrading my intake to help with both the MPG and boost my HP a little so my question is this.....Is there any real advantage to spending over $200 for a cold air intake over a Short Ram Intake for $60? I was thinking since there's no place to have a "true" cold air system in the car since there's no place to put it that's not in the engine compartment and the box for the cold air system doesn't seem like it would do much, there might not be enough of an advantage to spend the extra money.
Here I would not recommend changing from a good oem filter as the benefits really are not there, besides once you start to change anything at all you need a tuner to adjust for such changes or you will most likely end up with a check engine light to deal with and then there is the oil residue on the induction system sensors.

I know I can get a K&N filter for the car that might help but if I'm going to spend $40 on the filter, I might as well get the Short Ram and have it at least look cooler if not work better.
As mentioned you want to wake up your stock car... first tune it for its surroundings, then you can move towards modifying it more.

Any advice on this would be great.....Thanks
- Removing and cleaning the induction system
- Installing a set of NGK`s tr6ix gapped to .035
- Properly Installing a trans cooler

All these suggestions should be done prior to an aftermarket CIA and it comes with a higher maintenance (from the oil residue)
Old 01-10-2014, 03:41 PM
TECH Junkie

And cruising the post and asking lots of questions

Quick Reply: Intake upgrade question