LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Attack of the Mysterious Thunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attack of the Mysterious Thunk

Over the past couple days my GXP has developed a funny thunk from the vicinity of the left front wheel. It only appears at low speeds or when the wheel is turned quickly. The thunk is not jarring or jolting, or making the car lurch, so I'm not assuming it's the trans. It does bleed speed faster than before when coasting, so am I looking at a wheel bearing, or is this more of a strut / CV joint issue?
Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!
Old 11-03-2014, 12:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

had that happen on my monte carlo.. cv joints.. you have to get the whole axle assembly replaced...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 11-03-2014, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

Ouch. How much did that run you?
Old 11-03-2014, 01:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

the axle assemblies are around $250-300 each...

and the hubs are about 170-200 each...

I had to replace both front wheel hubs and both front axle assemblies multiple times, heh...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 11-03-2014, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Not terribly bad, just not fun. Thanks Lew!
Old 11-03-2014, 09:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

First of all no...check out your suspension first font go throwing money for no reason, have you visually checked out everything? Are your sway bar links screwed up?

For CV axles you shouldn't pay more than 100 per side.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:26 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 91parkave
First of all no...check out your suspension first font go throwing money for no reason, have you visually checked out everything? Are your sway bar links screwed up?

This.

Find the part number and then search for it on Amazon. You'll find much better part prices and usually free shipping.

Get under there and check things out. Hub/wheel bearing wouldn't be a thunk or when turning your wheel. It would be a grinding, growling sound that was dependent on speed and would get louder when the culprit side was loaded (during turns at speed).

CV axle is usually a clicking sound more than a thunk, but not out of the question. Check the boot for tears and the surrounding area for grease flung around. Twist the axle with you hand between the boot and where it connects to the trans and listen for any noise and feel for play.

Check your end links. Sometimes they are too skinny on bigger cars and can bend on top of the joint wearing out. Also check your sway bar bushing. The factory rubber can last forever or sometimes fall apart immediately. The bar moving around would clunk under load.

Also don't overlook the intermediate steering shaft. There are a lot of GM cars that have crappy intermediate steering shafts. It makes a deep clunk when the wheel is turned, usually at parking lot speeds. All that's needed is a cleaning of old grease and replacing with new grease and then work it around. I have to do this every 6 months in my G6.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

Just got an oil change / chassis lube. Seems to have alleviated the issue. Next time a lift is available for me to use (friend has his Vettes in storage on and under his lift, work schedules, etc) I'm gonna jimmy around with all of these suggestions. Thanks guys!
Old 11-05-2014, 03:31 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 05GXPjake
Just got an oil change / chassis lube. Seems to have alleviated the issue. Next time a lift is available for me to use (friend has his Vettes in storage on and under his lift, work schedules, etc) I'm gonna jimmy around with all of these suggestions. Thanks guys!
I'm gonna assume your outer tie rods and/or end links have zerk fittings, needed grease, and were clunking.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91parkave

$100 per side from where?
Old 11-06-2014, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Moog R-Series vs Stock Ac Delco Control arms ?

Moog R-Series vs Stock Ac Delco Control arms ?

Has anyone tryed the Moog R-Series Control arms ?
Old 11-06-2014, 11:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GXP25
$100 per side from where?
Duralast gold CV axles. There new not remans. 94 bucks a side. I've had them since I had the gxp.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:12 AM

same problem my left side sway bar link pin was broken right side sway bar link pin collar was broken under the bushing creating a creaking sound while turning also the thud was on the acceleration and braking and hitting bumps that was my broken sway bar link pin

Quick Reply: Attack of the Mysterious Thunk