LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

ls1 cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 10:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls1 cam swap

my friends impala has a collapsed lifter. we're trying to cover all the bases of what needs to be replaced before diving into it. I already have an LS1 cam from my other car.

What all is needed to swap this cam in? timing gear? valley cover? or can we keep all the DOD stuff and just replace the cam and lifter that failed.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:15 AM
Staging Lane

You'll need lifters rockers gaskets. New oil pump if u don't plan to turbo. O, push rods. Springs. Valley tray.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get rid of all the DoD crap. LS2 timing chain for peace of mind while you're in there. And a bigger cam if you're going to all that trouble
Old 01-09-2015, 10:03 AM
12 Second Club

Money just isn't there for a full cam swap with all new parts. Ideally the can is fine and we just need a lifter and new head bolts. But I'd like to plan for the worst just in case.

If it were my car I'd do it, but not much room in his budget for it. The car just got a new trans put in a week ago.

Edit: any chance that a lifter can pump back up on its own? Just got a call that he started the car and no more noise.

Last edited by spy2520; 01-09-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

I have a stock LS4 cam and Dod/amf lifters from a 27k mile motor if you want them....
Old 01-10-2015, 08:56 AM
12 Second Club

Not sure how bad the lifter noise is, but the LS4s all get some - mine is mint but if I don't drive it for a week I'll get lifter tap until it runs a few. Also notice it happens more closer to oil change time, so I change it frequently with Full Synthetic Mobile One.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spy2520
Money just isn't there for a full cam swap with all new parts. Ideally the can is fine and we just need a lifter and new head bolts. But I'd like to plan for the worst just in case.

If it were my car I'd do it, but not much room in his budget for it. The car just got a new trans put in a week ago.

Edit: any chance that a lifter can pump back up on its own? Just got a call that he started the car and no more noise.
These engines are dirty inside especially with the DOD/AFM active... so my advice before you tear it down just go and get 2 cans of seafoam and add 1 to the fueltank (full) and 1 to the crankcase. Then drive it easy/ normal for the full tank of fuel, if this stops the ticking change the oil and filter and get another can of seafoam and add 1 ounce per quart/ liter of oil (6 ounces in total) to the fresh oil and be happy! Then put the remaining seafoam on the shelf for the next oil change.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:36 AM
12 Second Club

This was kinda worse than ticking. I pulled a valve cover and could move a rocker and pushrod up and down by hand. It wasn't something I was expecting to clear up on its own. But I guess its possible.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spy2520
This was kinda worse than ticking. I pulled a valve cover and could move a rocker and pushrod up and down by hand. It wasn't something I was expecting to clear up on its own. But I guess its possible.
This is why I recommended a system cleaning first. Things do get dirty and stick. For example if a valve was stuck partially it would leave the play in the rocker or if a lifter was stuck in the collapsed position it also would leave undesirable play in the valve train. So for the few bucks it takes to clean everything first it may save you a bundle in money and time. Even if there is something more serious a pre-clean will only make the teardown easier.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:36 AM
12 Second Club

Makes sense.

Quick Reply: ls1 cam swap