LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

transmission cooler install

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The oem trans cooler lines are threaded into the radiator and the trans, you can convert those fittings using something like this...
Amazon.com: Hayden Automotive 390 Transmission Line Fitting Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Hayden Automotive 390 Transmission Line Fitting Kit: Automotive
and just use push on hose and a clamp.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spawne32
The oem trans cooler lines are threaded into the radiator and the trans, you can convert those fittings using something like this... Amazon.com: Hayden Automotive 390 Transmission Line Fitting Kit: Automotive and just use push on hose and a clamp.
then what is that adaptor for thats on post #2. i thought that went into the stock cooler/rad
Old 05-14-2015, 05:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveCZ28
then what is that adaptor for thats on post #2. i thought that went into the stock cooler/rad
The adapter in post 2 is the same I used, if you will be installing inline with your existing radiator/cooler you should use that so no cutting is required.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

The oem trans cooler lines are threaded into the radiator and the trans, you can convert those fittings using something like this... Amazon.com: Hayden Automotive 390 Transmission Line Fitting Kit: Automotive and just use push on hose and a clamp.
Try to explain please how these will be hooked up as these are different from what I used. I had this post described fairly well for a inline installation as there is alot of confusing info on here. This is bound to add to the confusion if you include it in this post without a step by step.Thanks.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rottonj
The adapter in post 2 is the same I used, if you will be installing inline with your existing radiator/cooler you should use that so no cutting is required.
im doing a inline as well like you. thought i had it figured out till the other threaded apators showed up lol
Old 05-14-2015, 05:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SteveCZ28
i have a question about the transmission line fittings in the radiator. do these just pull out? or is there a tab to pull or squeeze to release the line?

and am i correct on splicing a add-on cooler into the top transmission line on the factory cooler/rad?
There is a small spring clip holding the factory line into the radiator, it is removed using something like a dental pick or an awl if the tip is small enough. You will see it when you get up close. Be careful as it is small and could be lost easily if dropped. Using the adapter in post 2 put that into the radiator. Line from that goes into new cooler, line out of new cooler goes back into factory line removed from radiator if installing inline. Hope this helps. Send me a message if you need help, its not really that bad.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ill take a picture of the lines and the radiator, but the quick disconnect line that your seeing is attached to the threaded fittings on the radiator using that spring clip yes. You can just unthread the entire line from the radiator and thread in the adapter for a hose.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can you post a parts list and is a GVWR of 30,000 required? What about 20,000 instead?

Also, how does your install compare to OEM? http://www.gmls4.com/index.php/topic...2.html#msg6362

Will this extra transaxle pan magnet work?
Amazon.com: ACDelco 29535617 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Fluid Pan Magnet: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 29535617 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Fluid Pan Magnet: Automotive

I currently have the older square one located after the raised bar in the pan.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes all of the new trans pan magnets are the donut shaped ones, they are using dual magnets now in the pans, let me post the bulletin.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Now of course if your using the pan with the drain plug you can only use the one magnet, which is fine. I don't have my trans cooler installed yet but ill be posting pictures of it once its in, probably within the next 2 weeks or so.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GXP25
Can you post a parts list and is a GVWR of 30,000 required? What about 20,000 instead?

Also, how does your install compare to OEM? http://www.gmls4.com/index.php/topic...2.html#msg6362

Will this extra transaxle pan magnet work? Amazon.com: ACDelco 29535617 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Fluid Pan Magnet: Automotive

I currently have the older square one located after the raised bar in the pan.
That picture was just part of the confusion for me. The magnet is correct, buy 2. I choose 30000 GVWR as it seemed to be the biggest Amazon sells that would fit. It fits, why choose any smaller as the price at least on Amazon was all very close for most sizes.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now of course if your using the pan with the drain plug you can only use the one magnet, which is fine.
And why is that? I don't see why two magnets wouldn't fit and/or work.

That picture was just part of the confusion for me. The magnet is correct, buy 2. I choose 30000 GVWR as it seemed to be the biggest Amazon sells that would fit. It fits, why choose any smaller as the price at least on Amazon was all very close for most sizes.
Yeah I just looked all of that stuff up and agree with you on the price differences.

Everything I'm about to order (Dexron VI, two magnets, and Wix filter) should arrive on Saturday from Amazon. The TransGo shift kit is the hold up with scheduled delivery by Tuesday from eBay.

I'd like to add the cooler to the list. Would I need any extra hose?

So it seems like one would need the following:

Last edited by GXP25; 05-14-2015 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Added an extra link.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Because the drain plug is where the secondary magnet is supposed to be. lol and you cannot move them to different locations or you run the risk of having interference with a solenoid on the valve body.

Last edited by spawne32; 05-14-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Because the drain plug is where the secondary magnet is supposed to be. lol and you cannot move them to differently locations or you run the risk of having interference with a solenoid on the valve body.
I didn't even think about that.

Thanks.

EDIT: I could still use the smaller magnet or install it before the hump. Two magnets are certainly better than one.

Unless this magnet's height is too large.

Dorman pan for reference:

Amazon.com: Dorman 265-814 Transmission Pan: Automotive Amazon.com: Dorman 265-814 Transmission Pan: Automotive

Last edited by GXP25; 05-14-2015 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Added some more info.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The magnet will not interfere I have 3 hard drive magnets in mine and the dorman pan

For hotter climates just go standalone http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...638241&alt=web
Old 05-14-2015, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I installed the cooler inline, install would have went easier if I didn't spend most of my time trying to remover the lower cover to install from the bottom. I never could get the piece out, even if I had been able to no F'in way I could have gotten it back in. Removed all the grills and the latch assembly, put it in thru the top. I used a Hayden Rapid Cool 679(30000lb) and a Hayden adapter part number 397. I didn't cut any lines. Bought some fuel injection clamps also for the ones that are harder to get to and doubled them up. Also installed an inline magnetic filter from Raybestos. Didn't mount it the way I was hoping to but it seems to get good flow and it seems solid. Not overly hard, but not a real fun job either. Took it out on the highway for a 25 minute cruise and the temp didn't get over 129 degrees. The real test will be my work commute and sitting in traffic I will have to monitor and see if it helped as I was hoping for. I will post back once I get some real results.
Based on some research, I would have rotated that Hayden cooler 90° to the right and mimicked the factory setup: entry from the bottom and exit from the top.

So assuming you rotated the Hayden cooler 90° to the right, take the line coming from the top of the factory radiator and install it to the bottom port of the Hayden cooler. Then take the top exit port from the Hayden cooler and install it to the Magnefine filter and then to the factory line that you removed from the factory radiator.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The spin on filters can also be utilised and top or bottom does not matter personally I think top for pressure and bottom for return is smarter
Old 05-14-2015, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GXP25
Would I need any extra hose?
Necessary or not?

Amazon.com: Hayden Automotive 106 Transmission Oil Cooler Hose: Automotive Amazon.com: Hayden Automotive 106 Transmission Oil Cooler Hose: Automotive
Old 05-14-2015, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91parkave
The spin on filters can also be utilised and top or bottom does not matter personally I think top for pressure and bottom for return is smarter
Well the OEM design is that way (bottom in, top out) and Tommy231 makes a decent point:

Originally Posted by Tommy231
I have always understood that the best routing for oil and trans coolers is to have the fluid enter from the bottom and exit through the top. This is so that air naturally purges from the cooler and to prevent what I would call the waterfall effect of the opposite flow. If the fluid flows in from top it can "trickle" downward like a waterfall along with a lot of air, minimizing the contact area of the fluid to the heat exchanger, ultimately reducing the cooling capacity.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, and if you are going stand alone I would think you would need two of the fittings as not to cut the original lines. Everything I read with the exception of what you quoted never mentions any positive or negatives to which lines go where, don't really see how it could help or hurt which ever way the lines were installed or the direction of the cooler in and out lines . Be careful with that magnetic filter also, some reviews said the nipples break easy. Its plastic, I am keeping a close eye on mine. I also have 2 magnets in mine as well, one installed right around my drain plug and the other I attached to the filter. It is hard to find clearance inside the pan for the second magnet. I also have the 2 strong ones still attached to the outside of the pan.

Quick Reply: transmission cooler install