LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

transmission cooler install

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default transmission cooler install

Sorry to ask this question that seems to be answered so many times with different variances in many different threads as I still don't understand.I have read them all. I want to install my transmission cooler in line with my existing cooler, This is the cooler I have purchased.

Amazon.com: Hayden Automotive 679 Rapid-Cool Plate and Fin Transmission Cooler: Automotive Amazon.com: Hayden Automotive 679 Rapid-Cool Plate and Fin Transmission Cooler: Automotive

Do I only have to cut the top line ? The top line that comes from the radiator then goes into the cooler and when it comes out of the cooler it goes into the other half of the line that was cut? Is this correct? Anyone have any picture (not the schematic) of the lines running actually using both the radiator as well as a external cooler installed? Its just confusing and I know it shouldn't be but that's why I am only asking about running them both as that's the way I plan to do this. Any help or pictures is appreciated. Thank you
Old 03-28-2015, 11:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didnt cut any lines when i installed my coolers i simply disconnected the tranny return from the radiator and installed a fitting and then just slipped a rubber hose over the tranny return line and the other end over the new fitting use hose clamps of course then just cut ur rubber hose where u want ur cooler to go and ur done.

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/OC-397.html
Old 03-29-2015, 07:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you. So this goes in the top of the radiator, hose from this goes to top line of cooler. Bottom line of cooler goes to hose removed from top of radiator. Correct? How much fluid is lost in this exchange and what were the temp results on your vehicle?
Old 03-29-2015, 09:58 AM
Launching!

yep my temp went down to the 140-150ish range i believe i liked this method since the radiator is still in the loop in the winter months ur temps dont take forever to get up
Old 03-29-2015, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you for the clarification, its appreciated.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a pretty large RV cooler hooked to mine. Running through the radiator and see about 180 max. As long as you go through the radiator you will see higher temps because it will actually be heating it up. I plan to bypass it and expect temps to drop quite a bit.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
I have a pretty large RV cooler hooked to mine. Running through the radiator and see about 180 max. As long as you go through the radiator you will see higher temps because it will actually be heating it up. I plan to bypass it and expect temps to drop quite a bit.
It will still heat up but, you are also increasing the cooling capacity and reducing the heat input to the cooling system by adding the additional cooler in line. So it does help.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:44 PM
Launching!

yep it really helps out alot i use to see 200-210ish before i did my cooler install now like i said before it usually stays at 140ish but keep in mind if u are ever parked somewhere and leave the car running for a while the tranny temps will get up in the 180s or higher depending on were u live the 140-150 im stating im getting is with the vehicle in motion and air passing through it.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is a large cooler I ordered. It was 32 degrees here 2 days ago and I was at 208 in traffic that was slow moving. If i can get that down to 180 I'm good with that, if it doesn't work out that well I will try it stand alone and see if that's better. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

take some pictures of the install, mainly how you hooked the lines up, cus i'm going to be doing the same thing once I get this engine pulled and install the new radiator.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:05 PM
Launching!

ill take some once i get my car completely back together
Old 03-29-2015, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spawne32
It will still heat up but, you are also increasing the cooling capacity and reducing the heat input to the cooling system by adding the additional cooler in line. So it does help.
Oh I know it helps out a lot. I was seeing 212 temps. Just would like it a bit lower even so I'll pry bypass this, spring.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

youre not going to increase with the cooling capacity with the stock cooler inline, in standalone config you can optimize the one pass of the trans fluid without the heat soak from 192-200 degree coolant.

In AZ where i live (up to 120 ambient i manage to stay under 187 year round using a junkyard oil cooler as my trans cooler and external filter..this year though with the addition of the stall i will utilizing a longer oil cooler that will mount directly to the ac condenser to help out.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by spawne32
take some pictures of the install, mainly how you hooked the lines up, cus i'm going to be doing the same thing once I get this engine pulled and install the new radiator.
I installed the cooler inline, install would have went easier if I didn't spend most of my time trying to remover the lower cover to install from the bottom. I never could get the piece out, even if I had been able to no F'in way I could have gotten it back in. Removed all the grills and the latch assembly, put it in thru the top. I used a Hayden Rapid Cool 679(30000lb) and a Hayden adapter part number 397. I didn't cut any lines. Bought some fuel injection clamps also for the ones that are harder to get to and doubled them up. Also installed an inline magnetic filter from Raybestos. Didn't mount it the way I was hoping to but it seems to get good flow and it seems solid. Not overly hard, but not a real fun job either. Took it out on the highway for a 25 minute cruise and the temp didn't get over 129 degrees. The real test will be my work commute and sitting in traffic I will have to monitor and see if it helped as I was hoping for. I will post back once I get some real results.
Attached Thumbnails transmission cooler install-imag0324.jpg   transmission cooler install-att_1428788549220_imag0325.jpg   transmission cooler install-imag0327.jpg   transmission cooler install-imag0332.jpg  
Old 04-24-2015, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just posting back some results after 2 weeks of commuting. Temps here last week were high 60's low 70's, this week its been cooler. In my 45 minute commute I saw a high of 172, and it's usually around 164 since the install. Still early to tell , once the temps get hotter will be a better test although right now I can defiantly tell it has helped . I really wished I had payed very close attention to the temps from day one, but I really only started monitoring this since noticing the transmission problems and reading all the transmission posts. Very good idea for anyone who has not installed one yet, money well spent.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rottonj
I installed the cooler inline, install would have went easier if I didn't spend most of my time trying to remover the lower cover to install from the bottom. I never could get the piece out, even if I had been able to no F'in way I could have gotten it back in. Removed all the grills and the latch assembly, put it in thru the top. I used a Hayden Rapid Cool 679(30000lb) and a Hayden adapter part number 397. I didn't cut any lines. Bought some fuel injection clamps also for the ones that are harder to get to and doubled them up. Also installed an inline magnetic filter from Raybestos. Didn't mount it the way I was hoping to but it seems to get good flow and it seems solid. Not overly hard, but not a real fun job either. Took it out on the highway for a 25 minute cruise and the temp didn't get over 129 degrees. The real test will be my work commute and sitting in traffic I will have to monitor and see if it helped as I was hoping for. I will post back once I get some real results.
Can you clarify the line from the upper rad fitting is it going thru the new filter and then going out front to the external cooler.
or
is it going from the top rad fitting out to the cooler then the filter is installed on the return side of the external cooler to the trans return line (line from the original top rad to trans)

Last edited by Ill_Born_ss; 04-25-2015 at 05:30 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I unhooked the top radiator line and installed the fitting into the radiator so nothing was cut. The line from the radiator with the fitting goes into the cooler(in). The line that exits the cooler goes into the external filter then attaches back to the original line removed from the top portion of the radiator. I live in a cold weather area so I think this works best for my car, yours could maybe benefit from stand alone depending on your area and that is a decision you need to make. Hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rottonj
I unhooked the top radiator line and installed the fitting into the radiator so nothing was cut. The line from the radiator with the fitting goes into the cooler(in). The line that exits the cooler goes into the external filter then attaches back to the original line removed from the top portion of the radiator. I live in a cold weather area so I think this works best for my car, yours could maybe benefit from stand alone depending on your area and that is a decision you need to make. Hope this helps.
I just seen in the pics you posted it looked different as to the flow direction so I asked to verify that you had it correct. thanks
Old 04-25-2015, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for checking.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

i have a question about the transmission line fittings in the radiator. do these just pull out? or is there a tab to pull or squeeze to release the line?

and am i correct on splicing a add-on cooler into the top transmission line on the factory cooler/rad?

Quick Reply: transmission cooler install