LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

teardown has begun!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015 | 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rottonj
I noticed big improvement after installing mine. As long as your getting air from the grills to it it should be fine. Cant really be seen anyway, I'm thinking your a little more, oh whats that word, oh yea **** then me lol. Well it shows in your work . You have this beast all figured out, your right, it will be fine until you get it perfect.
Don't want to run the risk of a line rubbing through from poor placement, i have several areas I still have to route up a little better, one being the heater core lines, one of the hoses seems to be resting on the coil pack in the rear, I dont want the forward and back motion of the engine rubbing through the hose.
Old 06-24-2015 | 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could that fry the coil pack? Are you needing to just bend them a little or looking for a little different option for better mounting?
Old 06-24-2015 | 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could that fry the coil pack? Are you needing to just bend them a little or looking for a little different option for better mounting?
Need something to either hold them up or protect them from the movement, ill probably put loom around them for the interim to protect them, its the soft lines, it doesnt look there was anything ever there to hold them in place and they just sorta rested on the engine cover.
Old 06-24-2015 | 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you talking about these lines? Does your car have this bracket? These are routed under the engine cover, there is a cut out on the side of the cover for them.
Attached Thumbnails teardown has begun!-coolant-line1.jpg   teardown has begun!-coolant-line-2.jpg  
Old 06-24-2015 | 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

only thing i have is the black bracket the water pipe is connected to
Old 06-25-2015 | 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cant really tell from that description where that is. Those aluminum lines have at least 3 hold down brackets, one down low in the front of the motor, one attached to the dog bone mount and one bigger bracket attached to the black engine pull bracket in the rear by the trans dipstick tube. When the lines change to rubber they run right over the rear coil pack and down , cant really see that far if there is something lower after that point down the tunnel.
Old 06-25-2015 | 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you talking about these lines? Does your car have this bracket? These are routed under the engine cover, there is a cut out on the side of the cover for them.
In stock form those pipes actually route over the engine cover.

Yes, they're unsightly.
Old 06-25-2015 | 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine don't, and never did. You can see the cut outs on the side of the cover, they go underneath.
Old 06-25-2015 | 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine don't, and never did. You can see the cut outs on the side of the cover, they go underneath.
take the cover off, do the rubber hoses going to the heater core rub the coil packs?
Old 06-25-2015 | 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, they do.
Old 06-25-2015 | 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by spawne32
take the cover off, do the rubber hoses going to the heater core rub the coil packs?
If thats what you are talking about then you are looking for a design change. Every LS4 car on this website probably has that, I'm not worried about that at all. I suppose you could cover it with loom if you want. Are you keeping the engine cover on? If so I would think you could install something like these to the underside of your cover to keep them up a bit?
Attached Thumbnails teardown has begun!-clamp.jpg   teardown has begun!-clip.jpg  
Old 06-25-2015 | 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

If thats what you are talking about then you are looking for a design change. Every LS4 car on this website probably has that, I'm not worried about that at all. I suppose you could cover it with loom if you want. Are you keeping the engine cover on? If so I would think you could install something like these to the underside of your cover to keep them up a bit?
Yeh that looks like exactly what im going to need, ill have to order some. I had ordered all new harness clips from clips and fasteners, that helped reroute the harness and the battery cables.
Old 06-25-2015 | 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a clip mounted to the underside of the drivers side engine compartment brace, that looks like it would work also.
Old 06-26-2015 | 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yep one on mine wore almost all the way through luckily i saw it and replaced them all of the hoses by the way i thought they did go over the engine cover if i remember correctly but i took cover off a long time ago so don't remember I'm gonna get one of those brackets to keep them off coil and that coil that was under that hose went bad so theres that
Old 06-26-2015 | 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok looked at cover and u are right went underneath
Old 06-26-2015 | 10:55 AM

I've added this to the sticky section under ls4 builds
Old 06-26-2015 | 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by superglide9375
yep one on mine wore almost all the way through luckily i saw it and replaced them all of the hoses by the way i thought they did go over the engine cover if i remember correctly but i took cover off a long time ago so don't remember I'm gonna get one of those brackets to keep them off coil and that coil that was under that hose went bad so theres that
If you are not using the engine cover I don't know where you would install a bracket unless it was custom fabbed or possibly mounted somehow to the rear valve cover or coil bracket. Maybe drill a hole somewhere in the coil pack mount and push the mounting tab in that?
Old 06-28-2015 | 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

i may need to get a prius as a daily driver lol jesus christ, averaging about 10.6mpg right now. It's needing alot of tuning work thats for sure. Copying the shift tables from the comp-g for part throttle worked out perfectly, WOT stuff not so much, its still short shifting under 6200rpm. Gotta work on that. Fueling requirements are wonky as well, bout -6% in the low area of the MAF scale, +6% and higher towards the high end. Yet WOT saw spot on, 890-910 o2mv. However I was seeing upwards of 9* of KR at WOT which mostly is a result of a full tank of regular wawa gas that was in here when i started out.

Idle is wicked, im at 800rpm with 24* of idle timing advance, seeing about 50kpa on average engine vacuum, and its chop chop choppin, which I thought was surprising given the cam specs on the paper. Torque converter which is a OEM replacement from TEP, seems to be stalling as high as 2800rpm before it starts to break loose, but im not particularly upset about it because it seems to be matching the cam up well. I think a little bit more ignition timing in the low end might help the cruise around town, and i gotta get a tank of fresh 93 octane in there. Lot's of adjustments still have to be made, it has some trouble starting up when hot, gonna make some adjustments to cranking ignition timing and fueling.
Old 06-28-2015 | 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

How does the tranny feel? Whats it pulling to? How hot is it getting?
Old 06-28-2015 | 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

How does the tranny feel? Whats it pulling to? How hot is it getting?
With the modified fan settings, on the factory cooler, havent seen it get above 189* so far. Trans shifts very fast and it will get second everytime, even with the shift kit springs on the first level of firmness. I'm trying to get it to pull to 6200 but need to dial in the shift speed still, still short shifting. I can tell you right now, the 3.29 gears are still ridiculously long compared to my buddies GTO, i honestly could have went with the 3.69's and never would have had an issue. Kinda disappointed i didnt now to be honest. But the 3.29's give's me some already pre available tunes to work with from the Comp-G as far as trans tuning goes.

Quick Reply: teardown has begun!