LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

speedmaster 96mm intake manifold swap thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015 | 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91parkave
I hope your not using the fast (bottom side) spacers. You never want to play with the bottom side of the injector. There's plenty of top side spacers out there.

Does this new valley cover have the tower block offs ?
It's flat on the bottom, the block offs are flush with the bottom of the LS3 valley cover as well so it shouldnt be an issue at all, the regular gasket is used and it matches. Not sure which spacers i bought, 244-146025-KIT is the PN.
Old 08-15-2015 | 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by spawne32
It's flat on the bottom, the block offs are flush with the bottom of the LS3 valley cover as well so it shouldnt be an issue at all, the regular gasket is used and it matches. Not sure which spacers i bought, 244-146025-KIT is the PN.
You ordered the bottom side spacers but as long as the bottom of the valley cover comes with tower block offs you'll be fine
Old 08-15-2015 | 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if i get the holley fuel rail kit do i also need to get the spacers u listed?or is that just to use stock fuel rail on speedmaster?
Old 08-26-2015 | 01:03 AM
Teching In

any update on your install?
Old 08-26-2015 | 04:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

should have something for you guys by the weekend
Old 08-27-2015 | 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

So got to test fit the manifold tonight, got a few challenges to overcome but for the most part its a solid fit. One of the runners in the rear just barely bumps the power steering pump outlet. So ill either have to grind down the manifold a little bit ore figure out a way to move that port. Another issue which is a major one is the ICT billet valley tray, looks like its no dice, not sure why as they claim it was designed for a Gen IV but it does not have the orings to block off the oil ports for DOD, which means, no oil pressure. Which is what i encountered. Thankfully i was checking for this from the get go and was able to monitor it as it started up at 10psi and dropped to almost nothing.

Old 08-27-2015 | 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

When you say no oil pressure, are you saying this won't work or different parts than you have installed alreadyhave to be acquired to make it work?
Old 08-27-2015 | 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rottonj
When you say no oil pressure, are you saying this won't work or different parts than you have installed alreadyhave to be acquired to make it work?
well, essentially the issue is the gasket. On the LS3 valley tray the gasket is just around the rim of the valley tray, and in the center where those ports are, there are o rings there to block them off, the ICT billet tray doesnt have any provisions for those orings, so it shoots out past rather then just being blocked off. I either have to find a gasket that includes those orings, or modify the LS3 valley tray to take that OPSU adapter.
Old 08-27-2015 | 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I need to do more research on this. You have a billet tray and if you had the LS3 tray it would work correctly?
Old 08-27-2015 | 08:48 PM

If you check my g8 dod valley cover tray thread you can get the size for the opsu thread, and just get a male to female 45 degree fitting to clear the bracket. I would not notch that. just pick up a brass fitting and be done with that. I'd just grind the manifold a little to see. Good thing is it's metal so you can always weld it and refinish it if you mess up
Old 08-27-2015 | 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you check my g8 dod valley cover tray thread you can get the size for the opsu thread, and just get a male to female 45 degree fitting to clear the bracket. I would not notch that. just pick up a brass fitting and be done with that. I'd just grind the manifold a little to see. Good thing is it's metal so you can always weld it and refinish it if you mess up
Your talking about threading the PS pump and using a fitting to change the angle on that port right?
Old 08-27-2015 | 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

ohhhh i see you jacked the G8 valley cover gasket which is one piece and would be able to gasket off those areas.
Old 08-27-2015 | 11:30 PM

Well no sorry I was referring to your opsu sensor hitting the engine mount bracket and instead using a brass adapter to give the angle you need to clear it. Your cammed now anyway so no oil needs to go by the opsu.the ports in the block up there most people tap off or thevalleycoversusually have seals to block the ports
Old 08-28-2015 | 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well no sorry I was referring to your opsu sensor hitting the engine mount bracket and instead using a brass adapter to give the angle you need to clear it. Your cammed now anyway so no oil needs to go by the opsu.the ports in the block up there most people tap off or thevalleycoversusually have seals to block the ports
Ah i gotcha, its just the damn sensor honestly, the clip for the connector is literally facing that corner, i actually broke it off trying to put it back together so im probably just gonna order another OPSU off rockauto and hope that it faces a different way. I found the DOD valley tray gasket with the center post gaskets. FEL-PRO MS96871

Old 08-28-2015 | 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

Default speedmaster 96mm intake manifold swap thread

So got to test fit the manifold tonight, got a few challenges to overcome but for the most part its a solid fit. One of the runners in the rear just barely bumps the power steering pump outlet. So ill either have to grind down the manifold a little bit ore figure out a way to move that port. Another issue which is a major one is the ICT billet valley tray, looks like its no dice, not sure why as they claim it was designed for a Gen IV but it does not have the orings to block off the oil ports for DOD, which means, no oil pressure. Which is what i encountered. Thankfully i was checking for this from the get go and was able to monitor it as it started up at 10psi and dropped to almost nothing.

What I did with my FAST manifold install was just turn the nipple on the PS pump which gave me the clearance I needed there. I then had to file some of the manifold itself to clear the body of the PS pump.
Old 08-28-2015 | 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i bought ls3 gasket MS96857 IS THAT GONNA WORK OR GET THE one u got spawne?
Old 08-28-2015 | 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by superglide9375
i bought ls3 gasket MS96857 IS THAT GONNA WORK OR GET THE one u got spawne?
nah thats only gonna work on the outer edge, we need to have those center oil ports gasketed off, the bottom of the LS3 valley tray has them built in. I posted the PN for the correct gasket. Alot of trial and error. lol
Old 08-28-2015 | 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ty spawne and it only came polished on outside lol u were right ok I'm gonna get that gasket and that katech mount and 45 degree fitting for opsu and waiting to see about fuel rails u hope ours fits thanks for all your help and headway I would have never tried this without guidance lol 91 gets a shoutout too
Old 08-28-2015 | 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by superglide9375
Ty spawne and it only came polished on outside lol u were right ok I'm gonna get that gasket and that katech mount and 45 degree fitting for opsu and waiting to see about fuel rails u hope ours fits thanks for all your help and headway I would have never tried this without guidance lol 91 gets a shoutout too
Hopefully i can tackle the fitment issues around the PS pump with relative ease. Other then that, the rest of the work is cake.
Old 09-08-2015 | 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

haven't heard from u in awhile spawne,are the rails gonna work?im getting mine polished now my buddy is showing me and he takes over if he thinks I'm not going well he wants to gasket match so got gaskets that u said with nitirile ring?hope everything is going well

Quick Reply: speedmaster 96mm intake manifold swap thread