LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Tips to kill exhaust drone

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tips to kill exhaust drone

I have an 07 GXP with some turrrrrible exhaust. It has some aftermarket mufflers on it and quite frankly I can't stand them. They're some sort of aftermarket knock-off Magnaflows. Not a big fan of the sound. Sounds like an old farm truck lol. The drone is also horrible. On a long road trip my ears will be ringing for a couple hours after I get home. I would like to upgrade to a different muffler down the road, but while this is still a DD I'd like to quiet down the cabin. When the trunk is full of my softball stuff it is significantly quieter. Makes me think some sound deadening material would cut down on the drone. I have either 1 of 2 options. I can try to put sound deadening material in the trunk to kill the drone in the cabin of the car or replace the mufflers just to turn around and replace them later on. Seems kind of wasteful to pay for mufflers just to replace them later. Thoughts?

A clip of the start up of the car. I have tried to get on CL and just have someone swap mufflers with me and split the labor costs but that was like trying to solve the nation's national debt issues. I had offers for mufflers off of cars that didn't even have dual outlets

PS - Feel more than free to nose around on the channel if you like slowpitch softball
Old 09-15-2015, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got some stock gxp muff with tips in perfect shape about 60 on mufflers 90 bucks if u are close to md
Old 09-15-2015, 07:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You'd be suprised what pushing the tips out a little past the bumper can do for drone removal
Old 09-15-2015, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

300 or 400 cell thunderbolt cat will do you wonders.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:56 PM
Launching!

You should be going for a super quiet muffler setup... then just do an electric exhaust cutout when you want it to roar.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

put a bigger resonator in maybe?
Old 09-16-2015, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by superglide9375
I got some stock gxp muff with tips in perfect shape about 60 on mufflers 90 bucks if u are close to md
Smack dab in the middle of MO. Thanks for the offer though!
Originally Posted by 91parkave
You'd be suprised what pushing the tips out a little past the bumper can do for drone removal
Never considered that. That's a really good idea.
Originally Posted by spawne32
300 or 400 cell thunderbolt cat will do you wonders.
Added on or to replace the stock one?
Originally Posted by Red_Zone
You should be going for a super quiet muffler setup... then just do an electric exhaust cutout when you want it to roar.
That's not too bad of an idea. May have to look into that.
Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
put a bigger resonator in maybe?
That thought crossed my mind. Never had much experience with resonators. I usually hack them off of stuff the second I get it lol
Old 09-16-2015, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSX Freak
Smack dab in the middle of MO. Thanks for the offer though!

Never considered that. That's a really good idea.

Added on or to replace the stock one?

That's not too bad of an idea. May have to look into that.

That thought crossed my mind. Never had much experience with resonators. I usually hack them off of stuff the second I get it lol
Is your catback bolted to the stock manifold/downpipe setup?
Old 09-16-2015, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

It's not a catback. They just had the stock mufflers cut out and some aftermarkets welded in.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's not a catback. They just had the stock mufflers cut out and some aftermarkets welded in.
oh well..cant get much quieter then welding stock ones back on lol if the rest of the exhaust is stock then you already have pretty much everything I can think of that would help with drone.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

I guess I should have thrown out there that it was just mufflers welded in and not a full catback. I'm on another forum and we ride people for not giving details, and I just did exactly that :o
Old 09-16-2015, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's why I save everything lol
Old 09-16-2015, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

I wish I would have saved my stock tips. When I cut my mufflers off and put a glasspack in place of my resonator (pretty loud) I put on a set of single 3 inch tips that were 18 inches deep. The set up sounds great! The single tips just look like crap. Just bought a set of quad 3.5 inch stainless Vibrant tips. That being said. When I first put the glasspack on before the packing blew out it actually made my muffler delete quieter and deeper. It is a 28 inch thrush pack.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Wasn't my doing or I wouldn't have put them on in the first place
Old 09-16-2015, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol I know my man
Old 10-01-2015, 09:31 PM
Launching!

I have an 07 GXP with some turrrrrible exhaust. It has some aftermarket mufflers on it and quite frankly I can't stand them. They're some sort of aftermarket knock-off Magnaflows. Not a big fan of the sound. Sounds like an old farm truck lol. The drone is also horrible. On a long road trip my ears will be ringing for a couple hours after I get home. I would like to upgrade to a different muffler down the road, but while this is still a DD I'd like to quiet down the cabin. When the trunk is full of my softball stuff it is significantly quieter. Makes me think some sound deadening material would cut down on the drone. I have either 1 of 2 options. I can try to put sound deadening material in the trunk to kill the drone in the cabin of the car or replace the mufflers just to turn around and replace them later on. Seems kind of wasteful to pay for mufflers just to replace them later. Thoughts?

July 24, 2015 - YouTube

A clip of the start up of the car. I have tried to get on CL and just have someone swap mufflers with me and split the labor costs but that was like trying to solve the nation's national debt issues. I had offers for mufflers off of cars that didn't even have dual outlets

PS - Feel more than free to nose around on the channel if you like slowpitch softball
=o I'm in Saint Louis ! And wait push out mufflers to kill drone?
Old 10-22-2015, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 91parkave
That's why I have my tips about 3 inches past the bumper. Be careful unloading groceries from the trunk in shorts.

Quick Reply: Tips to kill exhaust drone