LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Torque Converter Allowed to slip

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 02:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Torque Converter Allowed to slip

So, One of the reasons i got a new transmission long ago is I thought there was a slip while in 3rd and 4th gear. When giving the gas on the highway you can see the rpms rise and then "Grab" again.

Long story short after i got my TEP transmission the same occurred.

I'm merely writing this hear because someone else mentioned this on another forum and wanted to educate whoever may be confused about what is going on and how to fix it.

Long story short, the torque converter is set as low as 10% Pulse Width Modulation. For a lack of a better explanation, its at 10% clamping power. When it detects slip it slowly increases the "clamping" power until it stops. Then it slowly drops it back down to 10% allowing it to happen all over again. This is a recipe for eaten Torque converter clutches and material in the pan.

With HP Tuners or whatever software will allow you to modify the torque converter i would set the minimum to 90% and the max to 100%. The car will never use 100% unless it has an issue with slip at 90% which it should not. If it does then your clutch is on its way out anyways.

After making these adjustments you will be able to push the gas and the rpms will rise 1:1 with the speed of the vehicle, instead of acting like the TCC is not even engaged at all and allowing the rpms to jump up before the converter "grabs" again.

If you do not have a built transmission this may not be a good idea for you. Maybe start off at 50% minimum across the board.

Also another thing to note, this will cause the TCC to engage quickly. It will feel like a gear shift when engaging.

Last edited by Sint3k; 10-12-2015 at 02:40 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm still on my stock trans and converter using 100 and 90 been that way for the last 30k miles. I would highly recommend scaling your lockup/unlock speed though in realtion to tps. I feel 55mph is a little too low and can bog a little to much for my taste
Old 10-12-2015, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the updated TCC apply valve and 100/90 was way to harsh for the TCC engagement. I left those settings alone. My TCC apply and release settings are as follows, no issues with bogging....

Old 10-13-2015, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91parkave
I'm still on my stock trans and converter using 100 and 90 been that way for the last 30k miles. I would highly recommend scaling your lockup/unlock speed though in realtion to tps. I feel 55mph is a little too low and can bog a little to much for my taste
I'm running 3.69 chain, my rpms are abit higher,I had no issues, I'm not a fan of the linear setup.I just like to know where it's on and off at.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sint3k
So, One of the reasons i got a new transmission long ago is I thought there was a slip while in 3rd and 4th gear. When giving the gas on the highway you can see the rpms rise and then "Grab" again.

Long story short after i got my TEP transmission the same occurred.

I'm merely writing this hear because someone else mentioned this on another forum and wanted to educate whoever may be confused about what is going on and how to fix it.

Long story short, the torque converter is set as low as 10% Pulse Width Modulation. For a lack of a better explanation, its at 10% clamping power. When it detects slip it slowly increases the "clamping" power until it stops. Then it slowly drops it back down to 10% allowing it to happen all over again. This is a recipe for eaten Torque converter clutches and material in the pan.

With HP Tuners or whatever software will allow you to modify the torque converter i would set the minimum to 90% and the max to 100%. The car will never use 100% unless it has an issue with slip at 90% which it should not. If it does then your clutch is on its way out anyways.

After making these adjustments you will be able to push the gas and the rpms will rise 1:1 with the speed of the vehicle, instead of acting like the TCC is not even engaged at all and allowing the rpms to jump up before the converter "grabs" again.

If you do not have a built transmission this may not be a good idea for you. Maybe start off at 50% minimum across the board.

Also another thing to note, this will cause the TCC to engage quickly. It will feel like a gear shift when engaging.

So that's why after cruising for awhile and you try to reengage the gas it feels like a jerk with the rpms raising?
Old 10-17-2015, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koren
So that's why after cruising for awhile and you try to reengage the gas it feels like a jerk with the rpms raising?

yes, thats exactly it. The torque converter slips a tad and regrabs so you get a shutter feeling when giving it gas after cruising. You could also be giving it enough gas to cause the Torque Converter to unlock entirely and then relock together. The way i have mine setup, it engages the clutch so fast and hard it feels like a gear change, which is fine with me.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sint3k
yes, thats exactly it. The torque converter slips a tad and regrabs so you get a shutter feeling when giving it gas after cruising. You could also be giving it enough gas to cause the Torque Converter to unlock entirely and then relock together. The way i have mine setup, it engages the clutch so fast and hard it feels like a gear change, which is fine with me.
If I let up off the gas on mine and then push down it opens up with no problem, that's odd in glad it wasn't just me. I should have my tune looked at but I went to a shop to get mine
Old 10-17-2015, 01:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ask them to email you the file we will gladly loom at it for you
Old 10-18-2015, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 91parkave
Ask them to email you the file we will gladly loom at it for you
I'll call him to get it tommarrow probably or stop by, he's a pretty busy guy so I may have to bust his *****. I got the tune done here at performance by joe in St. Louis, he's pretty good at corvette and viper tunes, at the time I got it done he couldn't really be agreesive at it cause I was running cheap gas instead of premium, so my tune is built for 91+ incase I ever drive out of town
Old 10-18-2015, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koren
I'll call him to get it tommarrow probably or stop by, he's a pretty busy guy so I may have to bust his *****. I got the tune done here at performance by joe in St. Louis, he's pretty good at corvette and viper tunes, at the time I got it done he couldn't really be agreesive at it cause I was running cheap gas instead of premium, so my tune is built for 91+ incase I ever drive out of town
We would love to see the tune, and actually see if anything was really done.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

im going to have to look at that as well. i have a tep transmission with his transmission tune but it still feels sloppy.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blkchevyz
im going to have to look at that as well. i have a tep transmission with his transmission tune but it still feels sloppy.
Define sloppy?
Old 10-19-2015, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Wait you said his tune? You got a tune by joe or by tep?
Old 10-19-2015, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

by tep.

havent really compared to stock but i dont think he does much other than adjust for the steeper gears.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

by tep.

havent really compared to stock but i dont think he does much other than adjust for the steeper gears.
What gearset you running? When I did the tune for my 3.29 gears I copied most of the settings from the Comp-G which had those gear ratios stock, including the tcc lockup settings. Obviously some adjustments were tweeked so they were more to my liking but you get the idea.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another reason diablows.
You Rebuild a trans, nice new converter then the damn modified stock tune ruins it over time.. smh
I'm getting hp tuners, i bet even my silverado could benefit.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by spawne32
What gearset you running? When I did the tune for my 3.29 gears I copied most of the settings from the Comp-G which had those gear ratios stock, including the tcc lockup settings. Obviously some adjustments were tweeked so they were more to my liking but you get the idea.
3.29 as well

Quick Reply: Torque Converter Allowed to slip