LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

GXP speaker install

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016 | 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default GXP speaker install

The first part of my sound system upgrade can be found here.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...n-install.html

I had already replaced the front voice speaker with a Polk DB351(3 1/2), for the front doors I went with DB6501(6 1/2 plus tweeter), a component system I got a deal new on eBay and for the rears I went with DB691(3 way 6 x 9) also deal new on eBay. I didn't end up using the crossover for the fronts, just did the speaker and tweeter swap. Probably took me about 6 hours to do the speakers, most of it on the rear(Pain in the ***). Funny thing is I had 2 different front speakers, one 2 ohm and one 4 ohm. Last year for the car they were probably using whatever they had lol. The hardest part of the install is getting the rear deck out, the carpet has 2 hidden plastic push pins behind the rear seat bolsters, it cant be removed without getting them out and they are buried. All the videos and write ups I have researched before attempting this say nothing of those. Another pain was the wiring, if your using a separate amp it might not be bad, but I retained my monsoon amp so the wiring was a little more complicated. I have no plans for any more audio upgrades, the sound is very clean and once broken in I am sure will sound even better. I bought this cheap install tools thru Amazon for under 2 bucks and they worked excellent at removing panels. Here are some pics.

Old 08-26-2016 | 10:12 AM
Launching!

Very nice. I found it helpful to have a friend help with the rears.
Do you find any clipping with them? My kappas clip at moderate to high volumes (fronts stuff only, they must get less power). Its driving me to the point of wanting to amplify now, lol.
Old 08-26-2016 | 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

So far no clipping, but its only been 1 day. Its a very nice clean sound, not overpowering. For ha ha's I put in the movie Predator and fast forwarded it to the Jessie Ventura minigun scene. While it doesn't compare to my home theater, it was kind of impressive.
Old 08-26-2016 | 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 08-26-2016 | 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually this lol

Jessie helped to design the bracket to make that gun mobile, although in actually if he chambered the gas gun that way it may have fired, or so they say. That gun is bad ***.
Old 08-26-2016 | 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I aint got time to bleed.

Quick Reply: GXP speaker install