LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

bilsteins or KYB AGX

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bilsteins or KYB AGX

I have Kyb AGX on my 2001 Grand Prix and liked them much better then the replacement GR-2. I see most people on here recommend the Bilstein. are the Bilsteins really better?
Old 12-31-2016, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does your 08 not have the factory Bilsteins to compare to?
Old 01-01-2017, 09:26 AM
Teching In

I think the car has the oem struts, which I assume are bilsteins. I just figured there would be an easy upgrade to a better strut. I've just never used bilsteins before. The car drives good, except for the body roll or whatever it's called.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

The GXP is the best handling car of all the W-bodys because of the Bilsteins, but suspension improvements can be made elsewhere if yours are still in good working order. Guess you have to check if yours have been removed or are leaking. In my opinion, they are the best strut offered without going custom coilover.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:08 PM
Launching!

The supers also come with Bilsteins
I don't think they're the same p/n as the gxp (may be slightly softer).
Old 01-03-2017, 10:01 PM
Teching In

So versus the AGX, do the Bilstein struts have better ride quality? Do they make the car more responsive through curves?

I have AGX as well and am debating on swapping in some Bilsteins with my Vogtland (GMPP) springs.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Default bilstiens

if you price out the bilstiens you will find out that they are over 500 bucks each I have a GXP AND WHEN I priced out the bilstiens I was shocked I also have a buick regal gs same drive train as the grand prix gtp I put on the gm performance sway bar kit and Monroe police/taxi quick struts corners way better hoping that the gxp never needs struts!!
Old 01-20-2017, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

These are Bilsteins, and they are not 500 each but still pricy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 12-10-2018, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Shocks / Struts

After reading the several years of shock / strut preferences I have a question regarding the Decarbons. I have a 2001 Firehawk that has Decarbon shocks in back and in front. They sure look original to me with 30,000 miles and undercoat over spray etc. Various forums state that the Firehawk came with Bilstien shocks and front strut cartridges. My 2001 is indeed a legit Hawk and I was lead to believe that the factory supplied suspension was a modified version of the WS6. I also was lead to believe that the 2001 Hawks could be upgraded with an additional costs suspension that had Bilsteins.
Just curious. Not really important because the shocks will be replaced shortly anyway. For what it is worth I have installed QA 1 sway bars on front and rear. The front being the hollow chrome moly. Both came with their bushings and end links. That alone made a big improvement in stability as well as straight forward driving feel.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Redrokit8
After reading the several years of shock / strut preferences I have a question regarding the Decarbons. I have a 2001 Firehawk that has Decarbon shocks in back and in front. They sure look original to me with 30,000 miles and undercoat over spray etc. Various forums state that the Firehawk came with Bilstien shocks and front strut cartridges. My 2001 is indeed a legit Hawk and I was lead to believe that the factory supplied suspension was a modified version of the WS6. I also was lead to believe that the 2001 Hawks could be upgraded with an additional costs suspension that had Bilsteins.
Just curious. Not really important because the shocks will be replaced shortly anyway. For what it is worth I have installed QA 1 sway bars on front and rear. The front being the hollow chrome moly. Both came with their bushings and end links. That alone made a big improvement in stability as well as straight forward driving feel.
You should probably post this in the F body forum, you will get some answers there.

Quick Reply: bilsteins or KYB AGX