LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

A/C off to Protect Engine . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C off to Protect Engine . . .

I've got a warning telling me that the "A/C off to protect engine", while the engine temp gauge has gone dead (showing no temp at all, but does do the check-sweep on initial power-up). I have replaced the temp sensor AND the harness connector with new units, but no change. I disconnected the battery to let it reset, but I doubt that solves it. Any suggestions as to another place to look? I haven't pulled out the multimeter yet, but I wouldn't even know where to start testing, aside from continuity of the wires themselves.

Any other causes of that error message AND a dead temp gauge reading?
Old 07-18-2017, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Well, upon reconnecting the battery, the temp gauge is now active and error message is gone. I haven't given it a test drive, but A/C was working fine at idle. Hopefully it's not a fluke.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

MY friends car did that when her thermostat had failed. We replaced the thermostat and problem went away. I am assuming this was more temp related and not the actual thermostat as I am not aware the car can monitor that part itself?
Old 07-19-2017, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Yes, this was a failure of the sensor and/or the associated wiring. Upon driving the vehicle this morning approximately 15 miles, temperature needle held steady at mid-range on the gauge. I believe the PCM/BCM uses the coolant temp sensor for the sole source for temp gauge output and controlling engine parameters. If this had been a stuck thermostat, the gauge should have still been operational I'd think, but reading extremely hot as the coolant wouldn't be circulating through the radiator.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SoonerAviator
Yes, this was a failure of the sensor and/or the associated wiring. Upon driving the vehicle this morning approximately 15 miles, temperature needle held steady at mid-range on the gauge. I believe the PCM/BCM uses the coolant temp sensor for the sole source for temp gauge output and controlling engine parameters. If this had been a stuck thermostat, the gauge should have still been operational I'd think, but reading extremely hot as the coolant wouldn't be circulating through the radiator.
That would be correct, my imp ran hot to the point the engine cooling on/off cylinder program went into effect and the gauge didn't lie. My engine ran out of coolant and I drove another 25 miles (I was unaware the lower coolant hose blew off). These are tough engines, that happened at around 75k miles and I got 312k before I parked it.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check it for codes that's a fail safe for a p0128 code
P0128 98% of the time is set due to a faulty t-stat. 1% temp sensor 1% set by other
Old 07-25-2017, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by im-not-guilty
Check it for codes that's a fail safe for a p0128 code
P0128 98% of the time is set due to a faulty t-stat. 1% temp sensor 1% set by other

After replacing the temp sensor, the GXP has been running perfectly for almost two weeks now. No reason to suspect issues with the T-Stat, it was just a failed sensor/wiring.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great to hear it's fixed man

Quick Reply: A/C off to Protect Engine . . .