DOD Defeat Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DOD Defeat Question

Hi Guys,
05 GXP.

I've heard that if you tune out your DOD then the cruise control will no longer work. Truth? Rumor?

What if you do the actual DOD delete, cam change and all?

Thanks
Old 02-28-2018, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be more answer than you're looking for but here goes. I am the original owner of my 05 GXP. Bought in June of 2005. I was burning about a quart of Mobil1 5W-30 every 1500 miles at the 80k mile mark. I installed the oil pan gasket that was supposed to fix this issue. It did nothing. I didn't install a catch can because my throttle body never got dirty. At 135k miles I tuned out DOD. At this point I was burning a quart every 800-1000 miles. I am now at 163k and my oil consumption is now down to 1 quart every 2500 miles. My average mpg has gone from about 18-19mpg with DOD to about 16-17 without. To answer your question though my cruise control still works fine. I would highly suggest tuning out DOD.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by corsair231
Hi Guys,
05 GXP.

I've heard that if you tune out your DOD then the cruise control will no longer work. Truth? Rumor?

What if you do the actual DOD delete, cam change and all?

Thanks
I've tuned it out for a few friends now, and no complaints at all from them. I know my buddy's Yukon was shifting very badly with DOD on, as in it switched too quickly at low speeds, then would switch back and shudder, or shift rough. It may have been his driving style too, possibly.

Anyway, I turned it off and he took me for a drive to see if I could log the event, and of course it didn't do anything strange and hasn't since I turned DOD off. Not a single issue since.

I also suggest doing the actual mechanical delete as well, due to the lifters. You can't tell me lifters that are designed to collapse for about half their life will last as long as standard ones. But that's just my .02.