Notices
LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Battery Tray

Old 03-28-2019, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Default Battery Tray

Why, oh why, did GM do this to our cars when it comes to battery replacement. A little bit smaller battery, an inch narrower core support, or a tad smaller PDC (fuse box). They could have done better!! Anyway, after a strenuous work out of my sailor's vocabulary, I finally got my failing battery out only to find that my battery tray is toast as well. Of course as par for the course for these cars, the GM part, #15795406, is discontinued and I cannot find one anywhere. Does anyone have a source for these or a decent shape used one they would part with?

TIA
Old 03-28-2019, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its a less than 20 buck part from 2005-2009 and you can probably find one at a junk yard for a few dollars. How bad could yours be? Get it media blasted, repainted and then re-install it. If yours is that bad, find out why your battery is venting so much battery acid electrolyte. Bad voltage regulator? Bad rectifier?

Rick
Old 03-29-2019, 01:17 AM
Teching In

I finally found an online dealer that has one but it is no longer a $20 part. It's almost $70 and they want $17 shipping. Outrageous. As far as the junk yards I think these are specific to the LS4 cars and none of the yards around me have any unless they are very recent arrivals. (I visit the yards pretty regularly) I think this damage was from a previous battery as this battery was clean and dry. I've had no problems with the charging system but I've only had the car about two years but once acid starts to eat it is very hard to stop. This tray is flaking and I could not even get the bolts out from the hold down. The corners of the tray were just twisting and bending with the bolt. It would not take much to finish breaking the ears off.
Hoping someone here may have snagged one to make a few bucks off of or at least know a more reasonable dealership with one stowed away on a shelf somewhere. There is a big swap meet next week-end but chances are still slim there and I was hoping to have the car back together by then. I'm going to let it sit until I come up with one though because I sure as Hades don't want to have to fight that battery again any time soon so it ain't going back in till I've got a new tray in place.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I typed in that GM part number and it showed several different vehicles across the 2005-09 span of years. So these trays are out there in the yards somewhere.

Rick
Old 03-29-2019, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Does this site work? Less than $20...
http://oemcats.com/oem-parts/15795406.html

Maybe that site isn't of any use. I added it to my cart, but then when I went to checkout, I guess the part may not have been available at all the place it shows?
Call GM. 2-years ago I needed a recalled part for my '95 Z/28...my car was never done. The part was discontinued...and I'm in Canada. They contacted GM US as well and they found a couple dealers that had the part. They shipped it up and had it installed...all for free since it was a recall. I felt the service was very good...even though at first I felt they simply ignored my request to find the part since I heard nothing for a couple weeks.
Doesn't hurt to call...but as mentioned, seems other cars use the same part...should be able to find a used one.

Last edited by BlackApex; 03-29-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlackApex View Post
Does this site work? Less than $20...
http://oemcats.com/oem-parts/15795406.html

Maybe that site isn't of any use. I added it to my cart, but then when I went to checkout, I guess the part may not have been available at all the place it shows?

..but as mentioned, seems other cars use the same part...should be able to find a used one.
Yeah, I found that site and it wouldn't let me register to go to checkout but I followed the list to the ones they said had it and that is where I found the one I mentioned earlier but at the higher price, not what oemcats showed.

What are they in other than LS4 cars? Every time I pull it up it shows only that it has been discontinued and fits our family of 5.3 fwd cars.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 03-31-2019, 06:15 AM
Teching In

Finally found one online at GMPartsGiant.com for about $20 bucks cheaper. It's on the way.

If anybody has a list of what other cars this tray came in maybe it would make the start of a good sticky. Junkyard donors or something.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Ughhhh!

They canceled my order! Back into the same boat so, again, does anyone have a list of what these trays came in other that LS4 cars?
Old 04-07-2019, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by corsair231 View Post
Ughhhh!

They canceled my order! Back into the same boat so, again, does anyone have a list of what these trays came in other that LS4 cars?
Only use of this part was in the LS4 W-Body vehicles. You will not find it anywhere else.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
Only use of this part was in the LS4 W-Body vehicles. You will not find it anywhere else.
Thanks, that's the only application I could find for that part number too. Unfortunately, these cars are as rare as hens teeth in the junkyards. Even checked some online yards. I may have to go to a welder to see if mine can be patched someway.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:18 AM
Teching In

Thanks to a member with a car he is parting out I got a useable battery tray and my car is back on the road.

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: