LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

07 GXP radiator fan issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2022, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 GXP radiator fan issues.

So my radiator fans won't come on. I was told that their not receiving signal to the PCM to cut on due to a short to ground. Does anybody have any idea how I can start to figure this out myself. Any idea on where a potential short is likely to occur?
Old 09-05-2022, 09:43 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could try jumping power to the fans directly to ensure the fans work first, then, yes you could trace wires back looking for the shortest path to ground from the fans if you are assuming a bad ground is the problem. Look for ring terminals attached to the body panels under the hood of any car. Look for ring terminals attached anywhere to the engine block itself.

One upgrade I personally recommend for wiring by the way, would be separating the main positive and negative battery cables from the rest of the wire harness located in the engine bay. If you have a spit or worse in a ground line hidden inside the thick black tube of wires you wouldn't find it unless you separate the harness anyway as an upgrade and check the individual wires at the same time. Ultra flexible Marine Cable maybe something like the KnuKonceptz Kolossus cables... this way is the upgrade path for the battery since you're thinking about your cars wiring system at this time anyway...

I was having Ground issues on my car as well several years ago turned out to be the main ground cable coming from the battery. I separated the battery cables from the harness... traced back and sanded all grounds I could find on my GXP, then rerouted the Kolossus cable and also used Kolossus on the fuse box entry points.

Most importantly what you can do right now to help cool the engine bay until you figure out the fans would be to pop the hood, then remove the black rubber seal at the firewall top where it meets the windshield. Doing so, will allow hot air to escape better from the engine bay due to the vacuum created at the point of the lower front windshield. Plus if you run your GXP in the winter(which would be stupid), you would at least have a heated windshield.

Last edited by Red_Zone; 09-05-2022 at 09:50 PM.

Quick Reply: 07 GXP radiator fan issues.