LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Random misfire

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Random misfire

08 Super 5.3L. Replaced spark plugs, no change.
Most obvious during light throttle and torque converter locked.

With a scanner, it's counting misfires on all 8 cylinders at idle and light throttle. A few easy things like clean injectors and throttle body.

Any ideas?
Old 10-04-2023, 05:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 281 Likes on 195 Posts

id try new intake manifold gaskets , could be a leak. have also seen a bad o2 do that but never threw an o2 code.
The following users liked this post:
Rt Jam (10-12-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 10:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Check coils, spark plugs, plug wires... Make sure plugs fully installed... Make sure no cracked ceramics on any plugs... Make sure plug wires are fully snapped on to plugs & coils (have had people before find that plug wires have slipped off, or even plugs themselves have loosened up and come out)... ----- Also, get a can of CRC Mass Airflow Sensor Cleaner and clean the MAF sensor, and make sure it's re-installed facing the correct direction...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 10-05-2023, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Any way to diagnose without just trying intake gaskets or o2?

I'm pretty confident it is not ignition related. The car ran good, then suddenly misfiring. I don't think the MAF can be installed backwards on these cars. On the scanner it's randomly any one of eight cylinders. I suspect a plug, coil or wire would be a bigger number on a particular cylinder. This is random on all 8.
I also reluctantly changed all 8 spark plugs even though they only had 30,000km. No change.
Old 10-06-2023, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 281 Likes on 195 Posts

i kinda think your right (about the ignition working) thats why i suggested things that effect all cylinders that ive seen do stupid things like your describing . and on a ls is very simple to do i can do intake gaskets in under 45 min and 02s in 20 min or less. have you checked fuel pressure? or spray carb cleaner around intake to check for a possible leak? any loose hoses? map sensor grommet sealed good? any thing look rodent chewed up? obviously were shooting from the hip here with not alot of info to go off of. just trying to give you some ideas.
Old 10-12-2023, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Good call Kjd on the O2 sensor.
There was no o2 codes and the scanner was showing activity but on the fact they were original. Threw in 2 new ones and the activity is more pronounced and the big news is no more misfires.
The following users liked this post:
Kjduvall (10-13-2023)

Quick Reply: Random misfire