LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

FWD oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default FWD oil pan

Hey, what does the oil pan look like on the new 5.3L front drive Impalla SS and GP GXPs look like?! I am very curious!! I need a short (as in not tall) pan for my swap.

Thanks, -Dave
Old 12-15-2005, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry, that's the best pic I could find. The drain plug is in the front of the pan.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the pic! Not 100% sure if it will work for my application, so I think I am just going to go and order the Street&Performance modified pan.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Hmm... now that I have my engine in place, I see that the F-Body pan, the C5 vette pan, the truck pan and the GTO pan will not work on my conversion. Can anybody measure the maximum height of that oil pan? I am guessint the tallest area is right in the middle??

Thanks!!! -Dave
Old 12-28-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

TTT - little help!!
Old 12-28-2005, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry- I'd love to help you out but I don't have garage space for it and it's much too cold and wet to get out under my car and measure that right now.

Perhaps one of my breathren in a warmer climate??
Old 12-29-2005, 08:23 AM
Launching!

Ill try and get a measurement for you today after I get off work. Have it posted later this evening.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Got the measurements during lunch. Well since im not exactly skinny...kinda had a tough time getting under there. But what I got was about 5 1/4 inches to the bottom of the pan...and about 5 3/4 inches to the bottom of the small plug protrusion. The best I could do was measured from the bottom of the flange...so i guess you could add about 1/4 inch for the pan thickness plus gasket thickness. But also do you know that the oil filter mount is actually cast into the oil pan... This engine has several quirks including that. Hope that helps.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

Hey, thanks a lot for those measurements!! The pan is actually deeper than I thought! It actually won't fit on my project, but it's good that I now know!!

Thanks, -Dave

Originally Posted by BigMikeGXP
Got the measurements during lunch. Well since im not exactly skinny...kinda had a tough time getting under there. But what I got was about 5 1/4 inches to the bottom of the pan...and about 5 3/4 inches to the bottom of the small plug protrusion. The best I could do was measured from the bottom of the flange...so i guess you could add about 1/4 inch for the pan thickness plus gasket thickness. But also do you know that the oil filter mount is actually cast into the oil pan... This engine has several quirks including that. Hope that helps.