LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

2 things, anyone look at the exhaust on these cars up close?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2 things, anyone look at the exhaust on these cars up close?

Looks like we got the same bullshit exhaust that the GTP's and other W bodies have been plaqued with for a while....

I crawled under the car during the thermostat swap and looked at the exhaust... 2.5: down pipe into the cat, then that stupid U bend after the cat to allow the o2 sensor to point straight up, and the 2-1/4 all the way back...

My camaro had a noticable increase in "feel" with a loud mouth exhaust over stock... and thats 3 "! i couldnt imagine what gains are left on the table by not replacing the enitre exhaust from the manifolds back?

Would be cake to ditch the cat and delete the rear o2 sensor...

But my second question is... has anyone found good pictures of what the DOD lifter looks like or other good internal shots of the LS4??? i read they can handle up to 15mm (.595") lift...

But im really looking at getting rid of that stock exhaust and throwing a 224/224 .581" 114 LSA cam in it with pushrods and springs pretty quick here.

Would at least be a worthwhile gain over some 1.8 rocker arms...

Roughly about 50 hp gain vs 15 for about the same price... which sound better? jusut more work.

Just have to drop the K member low enough on the pass side to let the cam slide out.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

and i thought i was being goofy on mods and going ***** out

you have me beat!
Old 07-24-2006, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Here is the only pics I have seen:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0405sc_gmdod/

It is for the LH6, but the parts are interchangeable. In that article, they say .590 lift is the max. The cam you selected is safe either way. I wonder about our convertor (since it seems looser than "normal"). A set of headers, tune, and an exhaust should make for some nice gains. And I did hear headers are on the way for our cars.

Chip
Old 07-25-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just ordered one of these puppies this morning, after careful investigation i have determined that the down pipe is the same dimensionally as the SC3800 motors, or any 3.8 W body for that matter.

Ordered it from 3800performance.com, i dont think they would reccomend it, as its never been tried but its only 179$ and its 3" and replaces the stock down pipe w/ cat.

Ill just use my HP tuners to turn off the rear o2 codes. the next step will be to replace the exhaust system with something AT LEAST 2.5".

My prediction is that the converter in our cars have a 2800 stall, i can spin mine up to 3K at a stop with the foot brake stall method.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:30 PM
12 Second Club

BADLS1SS cancel your order if you can. The DP for the 3800s will not bolt up to an LS4. I just had mine done by James the owner of JimmyCracing.com. Taking off the LS4 and putting it up to a 3800 stock DP it is shaped differntly. The 3800 makes more of an "S" shape to it as seen in your picture but the LS4 doesn't have a bend at the top of the DP like your picture as much its more of a straight shot after the bend where the cat would be. I would try to cancel the order if you can and contact James at JimmyCracing.com, I know he doesn't carry them on his page but maybe he would make one for you.
HTH,
Tate
Old 07-25-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just noticed this guys thread after i ordered as well... Looks like he had the same one on there? https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-performance/542682-hogans-dp7-sale.html

Its not a huge deal if it doesnt fit, Ill either re sell it or have a guy i know that does exhaust work modify it to work. i just didnt want to hack up any of the stock exhaust parts if it had to go in for warranty work on something major like a tranny LOL

But thanks for the heads up on that though! A buddy had a stock one off GTP and i held it up to my cars the best i could with it on the car and the "S" bend looked to have the same dimensions.

One way or another ill make it work, something has to be done lol.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I see the difference now!

This is the Hogan one the other guy is trying to sell.

Looks like i will just turn the other one around when i get it and send it back LOL.

And the 3.8 pipe...

Quick Reply: 2 things, anyone look at the exhaust on these cars up close?