LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Swaybars available??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swaybars available??

Does anyone know if there are aftermarket swaybars available for the Impala SS yet? I checked addico, and hotchkis but nothing listed. I'm not sure where else to look for them, nothing on Google. The family likes the ride, so I don't want stiffer shocks or springs, but I want to reduce the roll in corners.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Just thinking out loud... You might check for what is available for the regular Impala and not the SS model. It may be a while before they have anything since its a fairly new model... not sure.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BigMikeGXP
Just thinking out loud... You might check for what is available for the regular Impala and not the SS model. It may be a while before they have anything since its a fairly new model... not sure.

Yea, thats what I'm thinking... it's just too early, maybe in another year or so Oh well, I guess I'll just have to save my money for the surpercharger or turbo kit when they come out
Old 09-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Launching!

The grand prix stuff wont fit????
Old 09-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mike's 01WS6
The grand prix stuff wont fit????
The GXP parts should fit, but I haven't found any of them either. I don't know if the previous body style parts would fit or not...
Old 10-09-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump for anyone with any updates about Sways, it could definately use a bigger rear swaybar
Old 10-30-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone crawled under these cars to see if there is polyurethane bushings on the sways and end-links?

Anyone installed them?

Had a '98 Regal GS SC, poly took that roll out of it, and was a cheap fix as well. Don't really remember that ride quality was diminished, since that was in '98 - 2000.

Based off my favorite on-ramp and S-curves, the MCSS hits "slalom" speeds that I find acceptable in a 3500 lb family car. Ride quality is good except in the patched up areas on the highway, then hold on to your pop! Also can't say anything bad about the Goodyear GSC's ... I usually replace the stock with BFG's, but I don't feel the need to @ 38 - 40 PSI hot.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

FYI - I didn't realize this until i looked at the parts list, but the Impala FE3 suspension and the MC FE4 suspension are the exact same...just different in name. Every part is interchangeable between the two. So, if something comes out for one, it will work on both.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
FYI - I didn't realize this until i looked at the parts list, but the Impala FE3 suspension and the MC FE4 suspension are the exact same...just different in name. Every part is interchangeable between the two. So, if something comes out for one, it will work on both.

Thanks for the info. When I bought the impala, the sales guy told me the the MC with the FE4 was alot more aggressive. I've been looking for a wrecked MCSS I could get the sway bars from... Glad I didn't find one, it wouldn't have done much good. Hopefuly someone will come out with some aftermarket bars.
Do you know if the GXP has the same sway bars as the FE3 & FE4? I'm guessing the bars are the same on all 3.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Polyurethane the bar and endlinks then.

40 PSI hot pressure / front

The poly takes just about all of the flex out of the bar movement, transfering the energy from the endlinks straight to the frame.

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/chassis.html

Summit Racing Equip - Endlinks: $13.69; Swaybar: $13.95 "ballpark pricing". Need measure the bar size and the length of the EL's. Installs in a 1/2 hour.

You won't be sorry.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pgbSS
Do you know if the GXP has the same sway bars as the FE3 & FE4? I'm guessing the bars are the same on all 3.
I'll check on that. I know the struts are different on the GXP...they got Bilsteins (sp?) i believe.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's GM Canada's websites for the three cars:

http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehi.../mont_opti.jsp

http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehi.../grpx_opti.jsp

http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehi.../impa_opti.jsp

Bar info toward the bottom ...

What are you doing with your car that you need to change bars? Kinda watched curve / ramp speeds tonight, my MCSS (w/ stock suspension) exceeded recommended speeds by over 20 mph. Are the Imp's that far behind the MCSS and GXP?
Old 11-01-2006, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

I don't feel "unsafe" taking the car into a corner at 20mph+ over the recommended speed.

That GM Canada info is different than even GM techs can dig up...according to that site:

-The Imp has a Solid 34mm front and a hollow 19.4mm rear?

-The MC has a Solid 34mm front and a solid 18mm rear?

-The GXP has a 20mm front and 17.2 rear?

Last edited by BuffaloSS; 11-01-2006 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

GM's websites are amazingly inaccurate. Here's my bit of speculation of swaybars...We have the swaybars from the GMPP handling package which is also what is mounted under the cop car version of the Impala. Also, we have the tubular lower rear arms from that. I guess the only way to figure this for sure is someone buy a parts manual or hit the dealer with some calipers and start measuring, LOL
Old 11-01-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

I contacted the tech i was speaking to previously, and he said that the GM Canada site is off. The GXP does have the 17.2mm rear bar, but the front is the same 34mm bar that the ImpSS and MCSS have. Also, he believes that the ImpSS got the same 18mm solid bar that the MCSS has, not the 19.x hollow bar that is indicated on the site. Going back to my parts list, it jives with what the tech said, that the MC & Imp suspensions are identical. You are also correct that it is the same as the 9c1-9c3 police (heavy duty) packages...he did mention that too.

Isn't this the same corportation that said (on it's site) the 2006 GXP had the 3.8S/C engine? LOL
Old 11-01-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Definity LOL!!! Almost like the engineers' actually "tuned" the suspensions to each vehicle!!!

Here's the poly for the 34mm (for those who are interested):

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Last time I will mention it. $12.50 - jack up the front, take off the tire, install in 5 minutes. Better handling. Greaseable is quieter, if you are interested just call Summit and they will find them for you. While you've got the tire off, change out the grommets on the endlinks as well. All that you have to do there is remove the nut from the bolt, and disassemble / reassemble. Very easy. Get rid of that body roll.

Then go out and buy some BFG G-Force KDW 2's:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....1=yes&place=10

(Save the Goodyears for winter)

Have fun carving up ramps / curves!!!

BTW - my Camaro SS came from the factory w/ poly.

Edit - check out this test article w/ the BFG's:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=35

Notice the "lean" on the Lexus.

Last edited by Kazmaniac; 11-01-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

Kazmaniac:
Thanks for the link to the summit site. I checked the energysuspension link from your earlier post and didn't see anything for the 06 Impala. So then I started looking for something that might be close.
I started this thread because I didn't want as much lean in the corners. I like hitting the on/off ramps pretty quick as well as some back roads to work, the IMPSS holds the curve well but leans like crazy(in my opinion). I put some hotckis bars on a fullsize GM truck and also on an IS300 and each handled better. Don't know if I took the turns any faster, but I liked the way they felt in the turns after installing the bars. I'm never satisified with cars... I can't leave well enough alone and HAVE to change something. Usually start with the suspension and then more hp. I'd love to have a vette but need to have a back seat to haul the family around... so here I go again with the IMPSS.

Buffalo:
Thanks for getting the facts on bars for these cars.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Those BFs are noooooisy
Old 11-01-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmmm, need a bigger rear sway bar. faster turn in for the gxp
the gears are slowly grinding now as i get started on suspension work
Old 11-01-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pgbSS
I started this thread because I didn't want as much lean in the corners. I like hitting the on/off ramps pretty quick as well as some back roads to work, the IMPSS holds the curve well but leans like crazy(in my opinion). I put some hotckis bars on a fullsize GM truck and also on an IS300 and each handled better. Don't know if I took the turns any faster, but I liked the way they felt in the turns after installing the bars. I'm never satisified with cars... I can't leave well enough alone and HAVE to change something. Usually start with the suspension and then more hp. I'd love to have a vette but need to have a back seat to haul the family around... so here I go again with the IMPSS.
Hey - you have one like in the pic? Those Lexus's are sharp! Did the Hotchkiss thing w/ my '94 S - Series Blazer - they did me good as well!

With the fam, did the '98 Regal GS before I bought my Camaro SS (read "4-seater" BTW). On a waiting list at 2 dealerships for a ZO6, but still on the fence, as I would have to pick which kid will go. Ironic though, as my Camaro pulls so hard now neither want to go in it! There's only a couple of cars out there from GM and Chry for V8 car guys with families. At least they are building them again.

I got this MCSS as a "me" buy, meets the minimum req's of 3 seats, 2 doors and a V8. While it may do 3/4 of the things the Camaro can do, it's a darn nice daily driver to take care of my wants. I'm usually depressed when the big-dog is in storage, but the MCSS is a great stop gap. Thought I wouldn't tweak on it, just drive it, but I was WRONG!!

Keep the faith! I hear so many guys say they need a minivan because they have a kid - remember to take care of yourself as well! Keep your passion for cars! Keep wrenching - let me know if I can help!