LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Black Material to Cover Headlights - 06 MC SS

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Material to Cover Headlights - 06 MC SS

Im thinking they eyes on my 06 are buggin out too much. Anyone have a material and source to use the give me headlights some angry eyelids? I saw somehere here done it. What'd you use and where'd you get it? Thanks!
Tony
Old 10-23-2006, 11:44 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That was BuffaloSS - he made them himself from auto vinyl I believe... he'll probably post back to this thread once he sees it...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 10-24-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

You rang? lol

I just used automotive-grade black vinyl and went at it. I bought a few sq.ft. from Pitch Black SS at www.NAIOA.com. He runs a decal shop in/around Long Island. I'm sure you can get some good stuff from a local sign shop or eBay, though. If not, sign up at NAIOA and send him a PM. I think i got it for $1/sf or something like that. 3M, 7-year auto vinyl.

I'm no good at vinyl-work but managed to get them almost 100% bubble/crease free with a bit of trial & error. Once i got as much of the headlight covered without creasing it, and used a hairdryer to remove the bubbles, i carefully trimmed the pattern i wanted with a razor blade. I have a couple hairline scratches across the headlight due to this trial-and-error method, but unless you're looking for them you'd never, ever see them.

I've since been practicing on an extra headlight using Krylon plastic paint. I just can't get the masking right to make the curve i want. I need to get some pinstripe vinyl to do it, but i've tabled the idea until spring. Ultimately, i want to paint the eyelid and lightly smoke the remaining exposed headlight.

Somewhere in the following link is a couple pics of my setup.

http://www.naioa.com/v2/modules.php?...ight=evil+eyes

Here's a close up after i installed the chrome-plated turn signal bulbs and replaced the bowtie with an "SS". Notice the tiny crease in the vinyl? After getting the rest smooth, i just left it alone.

Nighttime:

Last edited by BuffaloSS; 10-24-2006 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Also, there WAS a guy on eBay that was offering something similar but it lined up with the hood instead of running back to the fender. I don't think it looked nearly as good, though.

Believe it or not i thought i was doing something innovative and it turns out they've been available for quite some time now. Guess the demand isn't there for the Imp/MC crowd, though, b/c they removed the listing after i saw it. Mine was/is better tho

[EDIT: just searched eBay and found a 50yd roll of 6" high gloss black vinyl http://cgi.ebay.com/6-x-50-yard-Roll...QQcmdZViewItem You only need 6" in height to do what i did. Don't think you need 50yds, though...unless you're REALLY bad at vinyl work ]

Last edited by BuffaloSS; 10-24-2006 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

yup, they are... they flow much better than those ebay ones did...

i KNEW you'd find this thread... LOL

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 10-24-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

YEah, no life here...

I could have saved some typing though by just scrolling down the page...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-performance/567811-i-ve-been-pirated.html
Old 10-24-2006, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if you didn't get it yet.. i also own a decal shop.. PM me.. i'll send you some.