LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Diablosport Predators...time to update!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 07:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

...and has the surge issue been resolved in the tune that has DOD enabled??

either way, what are the current tune user's impressions/experiences so far? Everything holdin' up ok?

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 12-13-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
...and has the surge issue been resolved in the tune that has DOD enabled??

either way, what are the current tune user's impressions/experiences so far? Everything holdin' up ok?
For me, the surge when the DoD goes from 4 to 8 is still there.

I explained to Johan that even the "Factory Tune" on the tool had the surge. Diablo requested my stock tune and then promply sent me a custom tune. The following is what I sent back to them near the end of November.

"Johan,

I wanted to thank you for getting the new tune back to me so quickly.

I tested the tune yesterday. The first part was about 25 miles with speeds between 35-50 mph using the cruise control set at various speeds for most of the test. The second test was at highway speeds between 55 and 65 for a total distance of about 70 miles. I’m good at hearing the changes between both 8 to 4 and 4 to 8 transitions, so to prevent bias I turned the radio up to cover the exhaust noise.

My first impression for the first 2 miles while the car was cold was the surge was definitely less that before. Once warmed up completely it was still there but felt a little less than the other tune.

During the highway ride when speeds where around 65 the change was almost unnoticeable. At 60 or below it was noticeable but again not as much as the 35-45 range.

I read an article on DoD and how the computer opens the throttle when going into 4 cylinder mode and how the computer closes the throttle when going from 4 to 8 cylinder mode to prevent the change from being noticed. Do you or can you adjust this function when closing the throttle on the 4 to 8 switch? I’m wondering if the increased response from your tune is causing the surge while the throttle is not being closed enough during the 4 to 8 switch.

During the lower speed testing on moderate grade changes (with cruise on) I noticed that after the initial surge the car felt like it slowed a tiny bit to resume the speed.

I know this doesn’t explain why the Factory Tune from the Predator had the surge unless my stock calibration is different. I do have the CAI cold air box, but have had this for awhile

Please let me know if there is anything else you need from me or if I can be of further help..

Regards,

Bill McCoy"

I have not received any further communication from Diablo and other folks may not have or be as picky as I am about the surge. Diablo said no one else has complained about the surge since they released the updated tunes. It just bugs me. I doubt they will spend any additional time on it since no one else seems to be affected.

If I didn't want the DoD the top end 93 tune fells really good, but I have no numbers to backup my opnion.

I have not heard of any update nor have I asked about the communication with the TCM, but am also waiting for it and desire the ability to adjust shirt points and firmness.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hexxLS4
Any updates regarding communication with the TCM???
TCM support is going to be a big effort on the part of our engineers at Diablosport, so it will take some time to get done, but it IS coming.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sprayjunkie
TCM support is going to be a big effort on the part of our engineers at Diablosport, so it will take some time to get done, but it IS coming.
Any idea if Johan has had any time to review my return email to him? The text in my previous post is what I had sent. I'm a big fan of the tunes he created and would love to be able to recommend them with out the surge caveat.

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by live2ride
Any idea if Johan has had any time to review my return email to him? The text in my previous post is what I had sent. I'm a big fan of the tunes he created and would love to be able to recommend them with out the surge caveat.

Thanks.
I know Johan is up to his ears in TCM support testing as well as some new product releases, but I will mention this to him.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sprayjunkie
I know Johan is up to his ears in TCM support testing as well as some new product releases, but I will mention this to him.
He mentioned he was very busy. I'm not looking for an immediate fix or to add to his overloaded schedule, just hopeful an effort is made to make the DoD function as seamless as possible. I’m pleased that as least Diablo has produced a tune for this application when others have not chosen to do so.

As I mentioned before anything I can do to assist, I’m willing to do just let me know.

Thank you.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Just ordered my Predator - WOOHOO!! Merry Xmas to me, merry xmas to me... LOL

Told the wife that'll be my xmas present from her, but I had to order it now to get it by next week... and I had it shipped to me at work... so when it comes tomorrow (next day air), I can load the tune at lunch time before it gets wrapped for xmas... LOL

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 12-14-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just ordered my Predator - WOOHOO!! Merry Xmas to me, merry xmas to me... LOL

Told the wife that'll be my xmas present from her, but I had to order it now to get it by next week... and I had it shipped to me at work... so when it comes tomorrow (next day air), I can load the tune at lunch time before it gets wrapped for xmas... LOL
Let me know if you try the 93 with DoD tune and notice any issues when going from 4 to 8. When I got mine it didn't have the latest revision, but they're simple to download and update.

Enjoy.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Let me know if you try the 93 with DoD tune and notice any issues when going from 4 to 8.

will do!

I'm also interested to see if it's gonna do it or not. If it does, guess I'll put the no-dod tune in till they get enough flak from me and fix it... ;-)

Old 12-15-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

will do!

I'm also interested to see if it's gonna do it or not. If it does, guess I'll put the no-dod tune in till they get enough flak from me and fix it... ;-)
What I’ve been whining about is just annoying to me, but isn’t enough for me to keep the non DoD tune installed. I’m too cheap for that. If the SS was my daily driver, and the switch occurred often, I’d consider removing it though.

Good luck!
Old 12-15-2006, 01:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

well, just checked the status of my order, and it's on the truck for delivery... so I'll be installing it tonight!! WOOHOO!!

I'll report back later on tonight - I'll get the tune installed then I have to take my son to basketball, so that'll give me a little road test around town.

Old 12-15-2006, 01:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

also, when switching between tunes - i.e. going from non-dod tune to the dod tune, do you have to restore the original factory tune first, or can you just put one over the other??

I would think that since their tunes only adjust certain parameters on the factory tune, that one tune may have different parameters changed than the other, so just over-writing tunes could leave stuff mixed up...

like if 1 tune adjusted item A, and then the other tune adjusted item B but doesn't do/use anything with item A, then that new/second tune will have it's own adjusted settings but will still also have that changed setting from item A in there from the first tune, and it wouldn't be back at it's factory default setting. Know what I'm saying?? Am I making sense?? LOL

Old 12-15-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

You’re making perfect sense. I read that you do not need to restore to the original backup when making parameter changes such as when using the “Factory Tune” and setting parameters yourself and then tweaking what you had set.

It does not take long to restore and I did restore when changing between the different tunes. I also turned off the key for 30 seconds between tune changes. To me it was worth the time to know I was always starting fresh.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

For me, the surge when the DoD goes from 4 to 8 is still there.
And the surge isn't going to go away until they can talk to the TCM and control torque management from there. Since they remove torque management universally, it affects dod. The only way to fix it is to restore enough torque management to the point where it makes the 4-8 switch seemless. But by the time you put enough TM back in, it's too much TM and you negate any additional gains and get sluggish \ choppy performance when it does kick in.

PS: I also experience the surge. But it's at least tolerable until they can talk to the TCM. You could always just use the no DOD tune until they fix things if it bothers you that much.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:02 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yup - I've got the surge... I just updated to their new version 8r06 (Fix for clearing of DTC codes) and uploaded the Diablo Tune with No DOD... so, when I go out in the morning, we'll see how I like THAT one...

;-)

Also, once you have the connector on the OBD port, is it a pain in the *** to get it back off like mine is??? once it clips on over that notch, it's hard as hell to get back off without ripping the port off with it...

Old 12-16-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

yup - I've got the surge... I just updated to their new version 8r06 (Fix for clearing of DTC codes) and uploaded the Diablo Tune with No DOD... so, when I go out in the morning, we'll see how I like THAT one...

;-)

Also, once you have the connector on the OBD port, is it a pain in the *** to get it back off like mine is??? once it clips on over that notch, it's hard as hell to get back off without ripping the port off with it...
Reading back through some older posts I see other people mentioning the surge issue when the system goes into DoD. I assume they mean from 8 to 4 cyl. My only complaint is when it exits the DoD from 4 back to 8. I would love to understand how the torque mgmt affects the timing and throttle when the condition I’m talking about is under light throttle.

When reading an article about how they pulled off the DoD system to make it near seamless to the driver, it mentioned the computer opening the throttle when the system goes into DoD or from 8 to 4 and then closing the throttle when exiting DoD, going from 4 back to 8 cylinders. The article also talked about changes to the muffler that alters the flow of exhaust gases also aiding in the seamless perception of the DoD system.

Disconnecting the tool from the data port is also tough on mine.

I too am anxious to get the TCM support. I’m looking forward to changing the shift points.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

well, I've been running the "Diablo Tune - No DOD" all day, and the car drives fine. Yeah, mileage may suffer a little cuz of always being in 8 cyl. mode, but it works fine - no issues.

oh, and the wife doesn't know that it got delivered yet, since I told her that it wouldn't be here till next week -- so, I'm just making sure the tune(s) work, then if there's no issues, I'll promptly put it back in the box and tell her it was finally delivered, so she can wrap it up -

also, when you update to a new release/version of the crom file - is it normal for the unit to think it's the first time you're connecting, so it backs up the original/factory tune again?? After I updated the Predator to the 8r06 version, I connected it to my Monte and it backed up the stock/factory tune again...

Oh, wait a minute... DUH!! I restored the original/factory tune before I updated the unit... nevermind... LOL

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 12-16-2006 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I saved my backup to the PC for safe keeping. The non DoD tune works really well. It's works so well the trick is to keep your foot out of the throttle.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I saved my backup to the PC for safe keeping.

yup, so did I... BUT... it saves it as a .lan file.... and is it me, or does none of the diablo software recognize a .lan file??

Everything I've tried to bring up to read in or load the file, nothing shows support for a .lan file...

So, what good is the backup on our PC's???

Old 12-16-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's the file. The GM_E40 PC Interface is what they use to move tunes between the PC and tool. There is no application relationship defined in Windows, but the Interface program expects that file.

I assume if the tool stops working and has to be returned to Diablo, you still have the original backup to upload from another tool. I'd want my backup as the Factory Tune from the tool also has the issue from 4 to 8, even though they said they don't modify that one.

Does it seem that the air intake noise from the CAI is more with the non DoD tune then with the stock?

Quick Reply: Diablosport Predators...time to update!