LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

To those with V 2.14 of HP Tuners, step in

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default To those with V 2.14 of HP Tuners, step in

Supposedly there is a DOD deactivation button on this latest version?

Maybe someone can point me to it? cuz i got nothing.

Gonna do some fuel mileage test with it like that to determine if i wanna put a cam in it and not use the DOD ever again...
Old 11-25-2006, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

I asked on the hptuners forum, and was told we don't have this feature.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...&highlight=ls4
Old 11-25-2006, 04:54 PM
Launching!

Yeah they don't have it in there. I don't have the car anymore, but I was still curious. I searched all over and couldn't find it.

Just for testing you can unplug the oil pressure sensor and it will disable DoD. It is the 3 wire sensor next to the thottle body positioned vertically. Since it is a newer car you shouldn't have to worry about losing oil pressure.

You will be surprised how much smoother and responsive the car is with it disabled...
Old 11-25-2006, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok thanks, yeah there is like 4 codes to shut off, i found that searching on HP's forum under your name Big Mike.

I have my stock 2001 Camaro LS1 cam yet that the car went 12.7@ 110 with and was thinking about tossing it in and see what happens. specs are .467/.479 197/202 dura 116 LSA. versus the stock pitiful specs of the LS4 cam.

One would think with the LS6 heads, 10.0 CR and if the intake will support it should make some decent #s!! The book "how to build hi-po LS1-LS6's" had a cam swap write up on a truck 5.3 with a stock air intake tract, mani folds etc and the lower CR and shittier truck heads it gained 55hp from the 02' Z06 cam alone!

Granted the Z06 cam would be the most worth while swap, but i wouldnt have to change springs or push rods with the 01' cam and i have it already.

It would just cost me the headache of swapping the cam.

Did you happen to note what the fuel mileage went to with it dissabled?
Old 11-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like an excellent idea, we need more guiney pigs to do stuff like this. It might even push me over the edge to do something like that myself, LOL. Speaking of 5.3 truck, I notice that those have DOD and yet still make some 15 hp/tq more than the W-body 5.3. Any idea of cam specs between the two versions?
Old 11-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BADDLS1SS
Ok thanks, yeah there is like 4 codes to shut off, i found that searching on HP's forum under your name Big Mike.

I have my stock 2001 Camaro LS1 cam yet that the car went 12.7@ 110 with and was thinking about tossing it in and see what happens. specs are .467/.479 197/202 dura 116 LSA. versus the stock pitiful specs of the LS4 cam.

One would think with the LS6 heads, 10.0 CR and if the intake will support it should make some decent #s!! The book "how to build hi-po LS1-LS6's" had a cam swap write up on a truck 5.3 with a stock air intake tract, mani folds etc and the lower CR and shittier truck heads it gained 55hp from the 02' Z06 cam alone!

Granted the Z06 cam would be the most worth while swap, but i wouldnt have to change springs or push rods with the 01' cam and i have it already.

It would just cost me the headache of swapping the cam.

Did you happen to note what the fuel mileage went to with it dissabled?
Well i didn't mess with the codes any... just unplugging the oil pressure sensor keeps DoD from ever coming on since the computer doesn't know if there is good oil pressure.

I only drove it about half a tank like that so im not sure how it affected the gas mileage. I doubt very much... maybe 1 mpg on average. I didn't feel like looking at the oil pressure light in the dash and the oil pressure warning in the DIC all the time so I plugged it back in.

Yeah the Z06 cam would be good for the top end, but you really wouldn't gain anything in the low and mid range. That 55 HP is just peak. It would definitely help out at the top of second gear though. And with some better valve springs you could run 2nd gear even higher. lol That would be something... trapping over 105 mph in 2nd gear.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah i played with it briefly, i didnt know if it was the oil psi sensor or the flat plug in under the TB that goes into that valley cover, looks like the old LS1 cam pos sensor type plug in. I first disconnected the one under the TB with like 6 wires in it, started it up and it ran like ****, like it was on 4 cyl right away.

Then i unplugged that oil psi sending unit, and got the codes imediately, before even backing out of the drive way hahaha

I will play with it more tommorow... it got codes for the 4 DOD things and a P0522 for the oil pressure. Funny thing is, the oil PSI indicator light never came on accept at intial start up then went off.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:46 PM
Launching!

Yeah that 5 wire flat plug under the throttle body is for the oil solenoids. The computer kills the injectors to the DoD cylinders if you unplug it... which is weird cause if you unplug it then it can't go into 4 cylinder mode. So it sits there pumping all 8 but only running on 4.

I never did find a way to disable DoD without causing some sort of annoying indicator. One problem is the DIC... it shows failures even if you disable the codes in the ECM. Cars are too damn smart these days.

It always annoyed me when the DIC said "Headlamps Suggested"... im thinking... "ill turn them on when I want to... mind your own business."
Old 11-27-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4
Sounds like an excellent idea, we need more guiney pigs to do stuff like this. It might even push me over the edge to do something like that myself, LOL. Speaking of 5.3 truck, I notice that those have DOD and yet still make some 15 hp/tq more than the W-body 5.3. Any idea of cam specs between the two versions?

hehehehhe, just wait. im working on dropping some cash shortly on some fun toys for the all motor world.

my goal 300 fwhp. as low as it seems. i have this wierd thing about doing the cars rated crank hp to the wheels.
so far i have done it 90% of my cars.

as of right now
new intake manifold
new tb
59cc heads {flow 300 before porting}
basically, pushing the limits of the stock cam.
catless hogan dp, 3 inch cat back exhaust
wheeeeeeeeeee

im a huge fan of top end power. 99% of my runs are highway. so if it kills low end, i don't car honestly.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

I know it would be a big job but couldn't you replace the valve lifters for cylinders 1,4,6, and 7? Then DOD would never kick in right?
Old 11-27-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jabronie78
I know it would be a big job but couldn't you replace the valve lifters for cylinders 1,4,6, and 7? Then DOD would never kick in right?
you could
need a new valley pan, block of a few oil lines, take the codes out of the ecm/tcm.
or keep the lifters, stay below .590, change the springs and call it a day.

why you would need to go above a .590 lift on a stock 5.3 is beyond me
Old 11-28-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

Funny how people dog on the diablo tuners and how they don't do a fraction of what HP tuners do, but they *can* disable dod.

I tried no DOD...and to me there's just no point to remove it unless you're going to do CAM work...why kill the gas mileage if it really makes no difference performance wise once you're not in DOD...If you're in the racing spirit and want a temporary way to remove DOD, drop it into 1st 2nd or 3rd.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hexxLS4
Funny how people dog on the diablo tuners and how they don't do a fraction of what HP tuners do, but they *can* disable dod.

I tried no DOD...and to me there's just no point to remove it unless you're going to do CAM work...why kill the gas mileage if it really makes no difference performance wise once you're not in DOD...If you're in the racing spirit and want a temporary way to remove DOD, drop it into 1st 2nd or 3rd.

you can get rid of dod in hp/efilive/ls2 edit.

i have to dig through the program when i get home later to find it, but it is in there. how else do you think diablo is doing it? some magic software? nope.

if they had full access to the gm computer system like certain race teams that are gm sponsored, it would be a totally different story
Old 11-28-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Area47
Yeah... but its not supported for these cars.

You can turn it off on a vette if you want... LOL but they have no DOD!!!
Old 11-29-2006, 07:32 AM
TECH Resident

i have to dig through the program when i get home later to find it, but it is in there. how else do you think diablo is doing it? some magic software? nope.

if they had full access to the gm computer system like certain race teams that are gm sponsored, it would be a totally different story
Obviously they are using something else to tune the car...I realize that. I, in fact, thought they probably used HP. But the thread started off saying there is no option...maybe I should have read more? But then again, the post above says there is no option on the LS4.

I'm not trying to be a diablosport fanboy....TRUST ME I'm not. In fact, I'm a borderline hater until they can talk to the TCM. Just making an observation.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:28 AM
Staging Lane

This is what they say they are using...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....5&postcount=31
Old 11-29-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

WTF!! Thats the biggest part of being able to dick with these cars is the tranny functions... It is to me anyway, the engine tune was pretty much rung out stock, not much help needed there.

Seems like they are a little back-asswards. I will take no DOD on-off switch for having tranny manipluation.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BADDLS1SS
WTF!! Thats the biggest part of being able to dick with these cars is the tranny functions... It is to me anyway,.
My thoughts exactly. I got HPT to kill off some of that nasty TM in shifts origionally, all the rest is a bonus. You know, I'm kinda kicking myself I didnt do the pro version now that I want to get that Hogan downpipe and a wideband (thinking PLX). Let's see...wideband ~$200, upgrade to Pro with tax/shipping.......$330
Old 11-29-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Those PLX widebands kick ***! i have one in the Camaro, its the M300 model. It hasa narrow band function too, where you can splice wires from the PLX into the output signal wires on the car harness going to the original o2. Then the Bosch sensor just threads into the stock location and doubles as a wideband and narrow band, no new holes in the exhaust required.

But its sometimes easier to just get a new bung, weld it on and have a seperate sensor.

I found that M300 combined with a scanmaster (to read KR) extremely help full in dialing in my car on that huge shot and not burn it down, im like the only local LS1 that played with spray and didnt hurt the motor this year in milwaukee hahaha
Old 11-29-2006, 09:27 PM
Teching In

where did you get the intake manifold?? I would like to buy. I have the hogan DP, Jet MAF, CAI and diablo tune
hehehehhe, just wait. im working on dropping some cash shortly on some fun toys for the all motor world.

my goal 300 fwhp. as low as it seems. i have this wierd thing about doing the cars rated crank hp to the wheels.
so far i have done it 90% of my cars.

as of right now
new intake manifold
new tb
59cc heads {flow 300 before porting}
basically, pushing the limits of the stock cam.
catless hogan dp, 3 inch cat back exhaust
wheeeeeeeeeee

im a huge fan of top end power. 99% of my runs are highway. so if it kills low end, i don't car honestly.