LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Pictures of Exhaust tips for Kazmanic...as requested

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huge - LOL!

I'd trust Midas. Stainless is widely used now, so they should have no problems. The local Lentz tech welded beads on my tips that rivaled robotic welds.

But damn, I'm glad mine's not welded yet, after replacing the MF tips, I needed to "tweak" the system to get the welded tips "square", now I'm off by maybe a 1/4" side-to-side alignment. I'm so **** about things like that I'll spend a couple of hours under the car fixing it.

All I wanted was a daily driver ....
Old 12-25-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Well, apparently i didn't inspect it well enough...got two left feet over here I put it together in my kitchen and found this out.

...Now i've got to wait until tomorrow to call MagnaFlow and see if they can rush out a right tailpipe extension...i guess this is waiting until next weekend. I suppose i could ask a shop to break the bead and spin the tip around, but that's not gonna be free and i'm not paying extra for someone else's ***k up. However, seeing as how i may put different tips on anyway (if available at the shop) i might not be in too bad shape...i just need to see if MF is going to want this other Left extension back.

Sincerely,

Pissed Off

Old 12-25-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How the hell did you weld it on wrong???
Old 12-25-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

I guess i made it seem that I did something wrong...I didn't weld ANYthing wrong...THEY did...the tips are welded to the tailpipes from the factory and they sent me two left tailpipes instead of a L and a R

It's my understanding that they don't package the kits until they get an order and then they throw in the Impala or Monte tailpipes. Unfortunately, they sent me two left Impala tails.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My tips weren't welded when I got them, the shop had to weld them up as well . .. perhaps that is an "improvement" from Magnaflow
Old 12-25-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dang Chris - you don't have ANY luck with that car, do you???

Sucks to wait all that time, and get the wrong thing! I'm sure they will next day you a tail, at least they SHOULD.

Feel for ya man.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

Silly question:
Whats wrong with the crome tips that come stock on the Monte??
I kinda like the look. Unless I'm missing a sound or preformance issue with the one's mentioned here.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The sound is improved to something a ltitle more growly, and the tips are increased from ~2" to ~4". Some people think that the 4" maganaflows are too big, but I think they fill out the bumper cutouts nicely, notice:
Old 12-26-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NewYork Art
Silly question:
Whats wrong with the crome tips that come stock on the Monte??
I kinda like the look. Unless I'm missing a sound or preformance issue with the one's mentioned here.
Welcome to the forums ...

I also like the stock look, this thread is about finding "stock appearing" replacement tips for the aftermarket exhaust systems.

99VetteMan got some tips from an exhaust shop and BuffaloSS sourced them for me on-line. Obviously up-sized to go with the larger pipes.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Nope...no luck at all...but i still love her (even MORE this afternoon) I said **** it and installed it anyway.

I first went to the tire place to have the two backwards winter tires switched (they had the ugly, plain side out) and after waiting almost 2 hours for them to do that, i decided to pull into a nearby Midas to have them install it. After sitting for about 20 min waiting for the guy to get back from lunch, i said "what the hell" and went home to do it myself. It was going to cost $125 or so to install the system (might not have even been welded, thinking back to him asking if i had all the clamps) and another $25 to spin the tip 180* on the tailpipe.

I stopped at the 'rents place and put the rear of the car up on ramps and jacked up the passenger front enough to get in from the side. I removed the two flange bolts and undid the hangars and pulled out the stock system. I had to bang the crap out of the flange bolts to get them loose from the OEM flange, but i got them out and cleaned them up with a wire wheel on a drill.

Unfortunately, i didn't pick up a replacement flange gasket b/c i figured the shop would replace it, but that didn't stop me (i'll install it later this week when i check the clamps). I reinstalled the resonator and then the rest of the system. I installed both tailpipes (yes, one upside down) and started her up...

(this is where i pretty much...ummm...felt (to be clean about it) immense satisfaction)

It sounds freakin' awesome. The rumble of the V8 came to life. I pulled out of the garage and drove down the driveway...and then backed up into the garage and removed the funny-looking upside down tip. That's how i'm driving it for another hour or so...w/only one tip.

I stopped in at a different Midas (closer to home) and asked them if they could do what needed to be done...and they said sure. I verified that they could deal with the stainless (another muffler shop said they couldn't b/c of the S/S). So, for about $25 they'll take care of me and i'll be all set.

In the mean time, Summit is going to ship a whole 'nother system from which i need to yank the P/S tip and then ship the system back to them (at their cost, of course). They never said to return the other one, so i'll have a backup tip should i ever need it. In all actuality, i'll probably throw it on eBay like i do everything else.

As far as the tips are concerned, they're not the best looking but will suffice until i find the tips that i like in the 2.5" ID. They're very "bulbus" looking and a little large IMO, but they sure don't hinder the sound at all I really like the MBRP tips that Kaz got, and i still may get them and have them cut down to size and then welded up.

I drove around a little bit to burn off all the crap from the system (boy did it stink) and heads were turning. The wife hates it, but that was to be expected. Just wait until she has to be IN the car ...not looking forward to that.

All in all, i don't feel that i lost any power down low, but i sure gained up top. I haven't been on the highway at all, but you can bet the 50-80 range will have a little more pep.

Sound-clip, smound-clip...i'll have a video up some point soon. It's raining right now. (like that's ever stopped me before ...i think all of my vids were done in the rain)

One question, though...were any of you guys strong enough to NOT start the car with the stock system removed? I did that and even my parents neighbor came right out complimenting me on the sound. Now THAT was a V8 RUMBLE! B/C i was having trouble getting the OEM bolts out of the flange, and b/c i needed a new gasket, i considered driving to the parts store without the system installed, but i decided against it for fear of a ticket.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Oh, yeah...i also found a set of tips that i may be able to use. The MagnaFlow #35206 is a 10" long, 3" ID and 3.5" OD with a 30* slash cut. I don't know how easy it would be to install a 3" tip on a 2.5" tailpipe but i'd have to assume that it could be done with relative ease. I'm going to measure up the actual distance tonight to help me decide what i can use and what i can't.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Starting the car without exhaust could definatley throw some soft codes. . .
Old 02-17-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

FINALLY remembered today that I didn't post pics of the tails ...

Yeah, I have to align the left one, musta caught it on something climbing over a snow plow furrow.

And YES, the inside of the tip IS dirty ... not gonna clean it until May when all the snow may be gone!
Old 02-17-2007, 06:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Kazmaniac
And YES, the inside of the tip IS dirty ... not gonna clean it until May when all the snow may be gone!
That's no excuse... I just wiped mine out today with an old towel...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 02-18-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
That's no excuse... I just wiped mine out today with an old towel...

I must be a fair-weathered car guy then! I have an annual wash package on this car, which means I get it washed whenever it gets dirty. With all this snow, it's like every other day it seems. Just gets dirty again ... the pics I posted make the tips look like crap, eh? The only other pic I have that has a tip in it finds me guilty of the same offense.

Hope they don't get trashed to the point I have to polish them in the spring. Maybe I'll go out and check them when it gets back in the 30's!
Old 02-19-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Kaz...those look great in there.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:34 AM
Launching!

So I got an email back from the vendor I ordered my MF for my GXP. Backdated another 2 weeks.

Hehe, glad it is cold and snowy right now or I would be irritated. As it is, does not really matter to me at this point.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
Kaz...those look great in there.
Thanks - I can't take the credit for them though, some BuffaloSS guy found them for me!
Old 02-20-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kazmaniac
Thanks - I can't take the credit for them though, some BuffaloSS guy found them for me!
He sucks!

I found what i need, too. TrailblazerSS tips. They only come with one, stock, so i gotta find a pair of willing sellers. I think i found one so far...just need to find another. They're nice slash-cut double-walled Stainless tips...should fit well. I think they're 2.75" in, 3.5 out...perfect for what i want.

Here's a pic of the TBSS Muffler & Tip (on left in pic)...the tip is short enough for what i want...should flow well.

Last edited by BuffaloSS; 02-20-2007 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Saw the same tip from SLP for the TBSS - maybe contact them? Part wasn't listed on website, but saw a pic of it in GM High Tech Performance mag.