LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

HID lights in a 06 SS

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006 | 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Default HID lights in a 06 SS

Anyone swap out there stockers for a HID system? or replace with a silverstar or "like" brand? any thoughts on what is better for the $$? links? pics??

thanks in advance!!
Old 12-12-2006 | 11:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tony-SS
Anyone swap out there stockers for a HID system? or replace with a silverstar or "like" brand? any thoughts on what is better for the $$? links? pics??

thanks in advance!!
I am going to swap them soon. I just have to justify spending $400 over the other stuff I want(performance parts). But, the HID kits do make a huge difference in appearance. You will need to get H11's I think for the imps and mc's but be carefull where you buy them. If they are less than $250 they are probably not real HID's. If you are going for color get a higher kelvin like 8,500-12,000. If you go too high like 14,000 it wont be as bright. The 6000's are the brightest that I've bought. I had the 8,500 purple ones the last time. They weren't as bright but that time I was going for color. The whole time I have been getting Xenon HID's. I think that halla has really good lights too. If you are o.k. with spending $400 on headlights you WILL love them. It is a huge difference in how much road is lit compared to stock. Make sure you get igniters and ballasts for the lights.
Old 12-12-2006 | 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Sylvania does not make a replacement bulb for our vehicles yet...and won't have anything anytime soon.

I just installed a 8000k kit yesterday that i bought through eBay. It's made by McCulloch...an OK brand. I didn't want to spend $400+ on a kit. I bought the 8000k by mistake, and asked the seller to ship me the 6000 instead....which they apparently forgot. Kits under $250 can still very much be HID, just not the best quality. I spent around $225 for mine.

I don't like the color choice and plan to swap bulbs with a lower K rating. These are too Blue. The light output is nice and all, just too colorful. If the seller won't exchange my bulbs, or sell me replacement bulbs at a discount, i'd offer up my kit to anyone who wanted it at a discount.

I know kissmyss03 also installed one of these kits...6000k i believe...but i never saw an evening shot so i didn't have much to go on as far as actual driving light goes. Mine are pictured below. Under the streetlights, the light output doesn't seem like much, but on unlit roads, there's a ton of light. Surprisingly, there very little-to-no glare from this combination of HID bulb and OEM reflector housing.

Old 12-12-2006 | 11:36 AM
Teching In

[QUOTE=BuffaloSS]Sylvania does not make a replacement bulb for our vehicles yet...and won't have anything anytime soon.

I love the lights you put in! That s exactly the color I want in mine. The 6000k will be brighter and less blue. I had the same ones in my jeep(6000k). I was flashed by almost everyone cause I did not have brights. If you want I will buy the ones you want and trade with you.
Old 12-12-2006 | 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

ive had 8000k hid's for a couple months now. absolutly love them. the difference between stock and the hid's is amazing.
Old 12-12-2006 | 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

stock

one stock one hid

both hid
Old 12-12-2006 | 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check out oznium for good deals on them.
Old 12-12-2006 | 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

im not saying oznium is bad, but my buddy at work got hid's from them last week and after 1 day a bulb stopped working and now he is waiting on parts
Old 12-12-2006 | 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Never heard of that before. . .over the the Scion community (my last car was a tC) almost everyone ran ozniums
Old 12-14-2006 | 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kissmyss03
im not saying oznium is bad, but my buddy at work got hid's from them last week and after 1 day a bulb stopped working and now he is waiting on parts
how was the install?? cost?? night pics?
Old 12-14-2006 | 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

on which kit? my kit which was McCulloch was very easy to install. i would assume most HID kits are about the same.
Old 12-14-2006 | 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kissmyss03
on which kit? my kit which was McCulloch was very easy to install. i would assume most HID kits are about the same.
i would be interested to know about the kit you got. all the pics and info you can give would be great..

thanks.
Old 12-14-2006 | 03:42 PM
Teching In

i would be interested to know about the kit you got. all the pics and info you can give would be great..

thanks.
Go to coolbulbs.com They have a picture of the difference between stock and generation 3 HID's. It is really easy to install. They come with instructions.
Old 12-15-2006 | 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

how was the install?? cost?? night pics?
kissmyss03 and i have the exact same kit...both 8000k...so my night pics are what his would look like.

Install is simple. Pull the NEG battery cable. Yank the headlight, yank the OEM bulb, install HID bulb, find a place to install ballast/ignitor combo (fits right under headlight nicely on both sides), install with double-stick tape and/or zip ties. Connect ballast/ignitor to headlight, connect ballast/ignitor to OEM harness, test & reinstall headlight. I had some problems getting the provided wiring harness to mate with the OEM clip, but in about an hour i had both sides up and running.

Only "bad" thing i've noticed about going to HID is that you lose your DRL due to the fact that they don't provide enough power to ignite/run the HIDs. I don't mind this, though, as i was turning them off daily anyway and run my fog lamps anyway.

thanks.
I know he got his off eBay just as i did. Not sure if it was the same seller, but i'd avoid mine like the plague. My seller was "lisajay2006" - Horrible customer service, horrible communication, took 15 days to arrive from a couple states over (auction says "allow 10 days for delivery" and they took every one of those days to ship it). When all was said and done, i asked them to ship the 6000k instead of the 8000k, to which they replied "sure." I got the 8000k anyway I eMailed them when i got the kit asking why they didn't ship the 6000k and if i could exchange the bulbs AT MY COST and i've yet to get a reply. God forbid i need to use the warranty through them

Last edited by BuffaloSS; 12-15-2006 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-15-2006 | 08:58 PM
Teching In

Those look nice. Looks like something I might want to think about purchasing in the future. One question though, are there any legal issues of upgrading to something like this? I love the look of them, but they are extremely bright. I really dont want to deal with getting hassled by the fuzz with something like this.
Old 12-15-2006 | 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

u wont have any trouble as long as u dont go higher then 8000K. 10000K or higher is gonna be way to purpleish blue and catch attention but under 8000k and no one will bother cuz it looks just like hid's on any expensive car. and i love my hid's. not because of cuz they look nice on the car but because of how clear the road looks when i drive. its amazing how much better everything looks when driving
Old 12-16-2006 | 09:13 AM
Teching In

Quick question aobut your DRL not working, with your new lights did you have to do anything with the sensor on the dash? Did your interior gage lights still automatic activate? thanks
Old 12-16-2006 | 09:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Joe's SS
Quick question aobut your DRL not working, with your new lights did you have to do anything with the sensor on the dash? Did your interior gage lights still automatic activate? thanks
You shouldn't have to do anything else with the car other than the headlights.
Old 12-16-2006 | 10:13 AM
TECH Regular

well... the only thing i did to the car was turn off the option of having the lights flash when i unlock or lock the car, not good to have hid's flash on and off
Old 12-16-2006 | 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Joe's SS
The DRLs are really seperate from the Auto-lamps feature. The DRLs are on all the time, except when the Auto-lamps determine you should have full brightness. Now, with HID, i just don't have DRLs during the day, but as soon as they're recommended (about 4:30p EST at this time of year) they go on just as they should and light up the night.

From a legal standpoint, you should be fine as long as you go no more colorful than the 8000k as kissmyss03 suggested. I, personally, wouldn't go more than 6000k if i did this again. LEgally, as long as they're not blinding anyone with horrible glare, you're fine with anything you choose. I was concerned about our reflective housing not doing so well with the different shape of the HID bulb, but they do a nice job of keeping the light on the road and not on oncoming cars.