LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

"Bumping" noise when turning wheel...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default "Bumping" noise when turning wheel...

I just noticed the other day, that when going forward slowly - like when pulling into the garage - if I move my wheel side-to-side I hear a "bumping" / thumping sound coming from the right front (sounds like that area anyway) - like something is loose. And I notice that when I'm backing out and I cut the wheel, I hear it too, just not as loud.

Any ideas??

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 01-29-2007, 07:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G.M. latest fix for this problem

Document ID# 1857986
2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Rubbing Felt or Snap/Pop Heard When Turning the Steering Wheel #PIC4176 - (08/24/2006)

Models: 2004-2006 Buick LaCrosse

2004-2006 Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo

2004-2006 Pontiac Grand Prix

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Rubbing felt or snap/pop heard when turning the steering wheel.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Cause:
I-shaft boot making contact with I-shaft

Correction:
Several bulletins have been released regarding similar or other steering noises (05-02-32-007C, 06-02-32-005, 01-02-32-001G). Please ensure all other known corrective measures have been ruled out prior to implementing the PI fix. If the other known corrective measures have been ruled out, check for black shavings on the top of the pinion shaft area. If shavings are present, it is possible the I-shaft boot is making contact with the I-shaft. Temporarily remove the boot to see if the problem is corrected. If so, re-install and reposition the boot so it does not make contact with the I-shaft.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1857986
Old 01-29-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, standard issue W-Body problem. The ISS is a problem with 75% of all W-bodies.

However, don't count out a tie-rod issue as well.

Go to the dealer armed with the Document ID above, but also ask them to check out the Tie-Rod as well.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Or maybe this?

Document ID# 1831735

Subject: Clunk Felt/Noise Heard from Steering Column, Steering Gear and/or Front of Vehicle During Turning Maneuver and/or Steering Wheel Rotation (Lubricate Intermediate Shaft) #01-02-32-001G - (05/25/2006)

Models: 2001-2004 Buick Regal

2005-2006 Buick Allure (Canada Only), LaCrosse

1997-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier

2000-2006 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo

1998-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue

1997-2005 Pontiac Sunfire

2004-2006 Pontiac Grand Prix

This bulletin is being revised to remove the Cadilac Seville, Oldsmobile Aurora and Pontiac Bonneville models. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-02-32-001F (Section 02 - Steering).

Condition
Some customers may comment on a clunk type noise coming from the front of the vehicle while driving during a turning maneuver. This condition may also be felt through the steering wheel when the vehicle is stationary and the wheel is rotated from steering stop to steering stop. Some vehicles may only exhibit the noise once for every 360° of wheel rotation. On all other vehicles, this clunk noise will be noticed during low speed acceleration or deceleration, typically in light turns of the steering wheel.

Cause
This condition may be caused by inadequate lubrication of the steering intermediate shaft which results in a "slip stick" condition possibly resulting in the clunk noise.

Diagnostic Tip
Important: This condition is commonly misdiagnosed as originating in the steering gear and has resulted in the replacement of numerous steering gears without correcting the concern.

Engineering Investigation shows that numerous steering gears have been misdiagnosed and replaced. The investigations shows that if the technician incorrectly diagnoses the steering gear as the cause of the noise and/or clunk during replacement of the steering gear, the technician may stroke and/or cycle the I-shaft, distributing the original grease in the I-shaft. This distribution of the original I-shaft grease temporarily may eliminate the I-shaft clunk so that the technician believes the noise and/or clunk is corrected with the steering gear replacement and returns the vehicle to the customer. After the customer drives the vehicles for several miles and dissipates the original grease, the noise may return.

Attempt to duplicate the customer's concern and isolate the I-shaft by following the procedure below:

Locate a large area (parking lot) where the vehicle can be turned in a tight circle.
Turn the steering wheel to the right and/or left all the way to the steering lock, then off the steering lock a 1/4 turn.
Drive the vehicle approximately 5 km/h (3 mph) in a circle, preferably over rough pavement or seams on the road surface.
If a clunk is felt in the steering wheel, the MOST likely cause is the I-shaft -- not the steering gear. Continue with the correction.
Correction
DO THIS
DON'T DO THIS

Lube the Intermediate I-Shaft with Grease Kit P/N 26098237
DO NOT Replace the Intermediate I-shaft

P/N 15243954

P/N 26078302

P/N 26100571

P/N 10367811

P/N 10376430

P/N 10376429

P/N 10376428

P/N 10377680

Remove the intermediate steering shaft from the vehicle and lubricate the shaft with a Steering Column Shaft Lubrication Kit, P/N 26098237. Follow the service procedure listed below.

Remove the steering intermediate shaft from the vehicle. Refer to Intermediate Steering Shaft Replacement in the appropriate Service Manual.

Fully extend the intermediate shaft by pulling the two shafts apart.

Apply the grease supplied in the Steering Column Shaft Lubrication Kit in the aluminum end of the yoke opening. Direct the syringe tip as deep as possible into the yoke and dispense the full content of the syringe.

Install the rubber stop plug from the Steering Column Shaft Lubrication kit into the yoke opening.

Secure the rubber plug by swinging the upper yoke 90°. One ear of the yoke should press the rubber plug in.

Important: Make sure the intermediate shaft is being pressed over the ears of the solid shaft.

Use a hard surface to ease the collapse of the intermediate shaft. It is best to use a pumping action when collapsing the shaft. Collapse the shaft as far as possible.
Remove the rubber stopper plug from the yoke end of the shaft.

Slowly extend the intermediate shaft apart.

Inspect the intermediate shaft for a minimum of 5 mm (0.2 in) (a) of grease on the shaft splines.
Repeat steps 4-9 if less than 5 mm (0.2 in) of grease is on the shaft splines.
Important: Before installing the intermediate shaft in the vehicle, make sure to stroke and extend the intermediate shaft at least 15 TIMES to completely lubricate the internal surface of the slip joint.

Reinstall the intermediate shaft into the vehicle. Refer to Intermediate Steering Shaft Replacement in the appropriate Service Manual.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description

Steering Column Shaft Lube Kit

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

E7700
R & R Shaft Steering Intermediate
Use Published Labor Operation Time

Add:
Lubricate Steering Shaft
0.1 hr

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1831735
Old 01-29-2007, 08:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

holy crap! I hope it's just the first one LOL

but, this second one does sound exactly like the issue I'm having though...

uugghhh... how hard of a job is this? how long would it normally take??

I HATE being without my car...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 01-29-2007, 08:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Neither one are a big deal, the second one takes a tech about 20 minutes.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:01 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

oh, cool....

Thanks for the info!!!

Old 01-29-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

there is a real fix for this, aside from just lubing it every 10k miles.
gm has released a new shaft and isolater deal for the rack. requires rebuilding pf the rack, but none the less a perm fix for it
Old 01-29-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Area, you have the bulletin ID for this one? Can you get it? I'd much rather have the permanent fix for it than have to get this done every year like the older W-bodies

Quick Reply: "Bumping" noise when turning wheel...