LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

03GT vs my stock 07 IMPALA SS who will win?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kazmaniac
Same thing I said about earlier about a family car keeping up - I call that a win, unless you have a MCSS.

Had a conversation with one of my Z28SS friends a week or two ago, talking smack about my MCSS. A couple of 10ths seperating the two - need to break open that wallet to widen the gap.
is that by ocean city?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by crippler22
Where are you finding these high 12 sec times for stock LS1 F bodies?
1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.2 13.7
1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS 5.2 13.6
Both are stock times. If they were using slicks maybe but then not stock or street legal.
2003 Ford Mustang Cobra SVT 4.5 12.9 Thats supercharged though.
The 03 Cobra was high 13's low 14's.
youre getting this from that bullshit site that lists cars 0-60s and 1/4 mile times by make.. then different years of all sorts of models.. that site is bullshit.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by carado1984
is that by ocean city?
Hey - not following your ? ...
Old 02-28-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok as far as a firebird or camaro with an LS1 beating my imp SS, i expect it every time. As far as a good race for our LS4s with an ls1 is to find one of the earlier A4 GTOs with the LS1 in them. They weigh so much they have a hard time beating an LT1 camaro or firebird. (seen this alot usuall the LT1 pulls it out but not by much) I have not had a chance to run a gto like this but i (notice i said i) think it is our best chance stock for stock.

On a side not how do our cars compare to the old LT1s and LT4s? I wont get a chance to run one till this summer a friend has a stock, very well maintained, TA.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

The LT1 will be a driver's race. Or at least based on my experience. I have beaten a couple of LT1/6M at the track. LT4 would probably be a different story especially if it is in a C4.

Chip
Old 03-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Teching In

I've run a couple LT1 firebirds and i've pulled on most of them. I got beat by a modded 94 camaro that had a cam. It wasn't by much though.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

I pulled a 94 LT1 Vette auto. The guy had his girl with him and was trying to impress her. It was a good plan but poor execution on his part.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Nikon02
Ok as far as a firebird or camaro with an LS1 beating my imp SS, i expect it every time. As far as a good race for our LS4s with an ls1 is to find one of the earlier A4 GTOs with the LS1 in them.
The only time I ever expected to get smoked was when I raced the 03 SVT Cobra Stang. When I got him of the line and ran him door to door for the first half of the race I was astonished. He then of course beat me by 2 cars. I never line up with someone thinking I am going to get beat. With that attitude I already lost. They may have a faster car but I expect to out drive them. Sometimes thats good enough and other times I wish I bought the GTO. The LS1 in the FBody is a nice combination its a great motor in a relatively light car. With RWD and a solid axle , it should beat us most of the time. I just wish GM kept the Camaro around long enough for it to house the LS2.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

And yes as far as the LS1 and LS2 being very close for power right out of the create. It seems very possible since alot of the TV shows and Magazines are all saying the same thing. The LS1 is only putting out about 10-20 hp less then the LS2 right out of the box. The bigger diffrence is the tq and that is why the LS2 moves the new GTO so well with all the extra weight from a stop.

And i dont want to lose or always think i will lose but i expect the other driver to be good enough to beat me since he does have a good advatage over my front wheel drive.

The race i want to find and run is a cadi CTS-V.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

The race i want to find and run is a cadi CTS-V.
Save your gas ... you're in way over your head.

Someone who spends $50K on a CTS bought it for the "V" package. I'd say at least 95% of them will know how to use it. The only chance you have is if they snap one of their half shafts.

Although, I lined up next to a GTO last fall. The light turned green, he didn't go, so I accelerated normally. A couple seconds later here he comes ... great "reaction" time. Look over and it's some gray-hair 40-50 something grinning ear to ear, having the time of his life, so you never know.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well that is what i want is a cheaper Chevy or pontiac version of that. I love my imp because it is the closest thing i can afford right now.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well that is what i want is a cheaper Chevy or pontiac version of that. I love my imp because it is the closest thing i can afford right now.
Sorry - thought you wanted to race a CTS-V, not buy one!

LMAO!
Old 03-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by crippler22
Where are you finding these high 12 sec times for stock LS1 F bodies?
1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.2 13.7
1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS 5.2 13.6
Both are stock times. If they were using slicks maybe but then not stock or street legal.
2003 Ford Mustang Cobra SVT 4.5 12.9 Thats supercharged though.
The 03 Cobra was high 13's low 14'
s.

Do you even know what you just typed?

Magazine racers ftw!
Old 03-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by burnzilla

Do you even know what you just typed?

Magazine racers ftw!
Yeah I know it was a typo the 98 Cobra is high 13/low 14's not the 03, my bad.
I would put my racing experience up against most anyone especially on the street or road course, but there is always something to learn. I only use magazines for reference not fact. They give a good indicator of what a cars capibilities are.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:40 AM
12 Second Club

We all know that by all rights a LS4 powered car should not be able to take an LS1 or LS2 powered car. But crazy stuff happens when racing. I've ran low 12 second cars in my low 13 second car and they miss a shift or come off the line to hard and I've taken the win. It doesn't matter the vehicle or how good a driver is chit happens and sometimes it works in your favor.
Tate
Old 03-03-2007, 07:53 AM
Teching In

I only use magazines for reference not fact. They give a good indicator of what a cars capibilities are.
A magazine being 6-8 tenths of a seconds off in the 1/4 is not a good indicator IMO.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KillaGXP
A magazine being 6-8 tenths of a seconds off in the 1/4 is not a good indicator IMO.
Come on you should know that there are enough variables to make up that amount of time. 1st most GXP or SS owners are not getting 13.6's the first few days or weeks they have their cars. It takes time and practice to get the most out of a car. Test drivers simply don't get enough seat time to get it perfect. Plus they don't mess with tire pressure and remove the driver side head light. Then there is the track condition, the temp, and humidity all of which affects performance. Lastly their bias is towards imports so those tests seem to more closely reflect the cars abitity. In other words they don't know what to do with all the low end torque of the American V-8. Again the magazines are a good indicator of what a car can do, not what the one sitting next to you will do. Thats up to its driver.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Save your gas ... you're in way over your head.

Someone who spends $50K on a CTS bought it for the "V" package. I'd say at least 95% of them will know how to use it. The only chance you have is if they snap one of their half shafts.

Although, I lined up next to a GTO last fall. The light turned green, he didn't go, so I accelerated normally. A couple seconds later here he comes ... great "reaction" time. Look over and it's some gray-hair 40-50 something grinning ear to ear, having the time of his life, so you never know.
CTS-V's are awesome cars once you upgrade the rear end. The manager of the local Cadi dealership let me take his out with a up'ed rear end, a short throw, and a hi-ouput maggy and we smoked a ls2 GTO, and a 911 turbo....

Too bad they are $50k...someday, someday
Old 03-15-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was on a 2 lane back country road this afternoon. Ran up to a car that was doing 15 mph under the speed limit. Don't know where it came from, but when traffic cleared for me to pass, there was a 4 headlight Mustang pretty close behind me (saw the 4 headlights in the rear view, no bumper). My Friend / Foe flashcards tell me this was a Ford Mustang "GT", based on the speeds generated.

Anyhow, went to pass the slow car, and Mr. Mustang was hell-bent to pass me at the same time I was passing the slow car. MCSS gear selector was in OD, don't know if the Stang was a stick, or their Mother's automatic. Both cars had aftermarket exhaust.

I completed the pass @ WOT like I always do with a V6 or V8, the *** in the Stang stays out in the passing lane to try and pass me. Mind you the Stang through the entire event so far was a consistent 2+ cars behind, not gaining or losing - equal. So why stay out??? Because he thought he could dust a V6 Monte more than likely.

The only reason he passed me was because I wasn't going to do 100 on a back road.

Very impressed with this MCSS - I think it earned it's "SS" badging today.

(BTW - Ford website says the 4.6 has 300 hp)
Old 03-16-2007, 05:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

The only reason he passed me was because I wasn't going to do 100 on a back road.

Very impressed with this MCSS - I think it earned it's "SS" badging today.

(BTW - Ford website says the 4.6 has 300 hp)
Good for you. Remember F@#ked Over Reconditioned Dodge or Found On Road Dead has a history for over rating their HP. Rememebr the Cobra's in late 90's?