LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Exhuast and underbody?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhuast and underbody?

hey dudes,

I just got under my car to change my oil for the first time since being purchased, and I noticed the exhuast is completely rusted!
how could this possibly be normal? Also i noticed small rust spots forming on the a arms and other parts of the underbody. my ss is 2 months old and i bought it right off the showroom floor, anyone else run into this??
Old 03-30-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

galvanized steel vs the stainless from the b-body SS cars. Mine looks like crap too, I figure I might get a grand total of 4 years from it before it needs total replacement. Thanks for cheaping out GM, I assumed it was stainless until I also glanced underneath and looked further into it. I have less than 8K miles on it
Old 03-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

its ridiculous to spend 30K on a brand new vehicle and a couple months later have this ***t pop up. Im not getting on just my exhaust, its on the a arms and various other metal surfaces. I even got the rust protection when i bought it. thanks for letting me vent!!
Old 03-30-2007, 03:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

From the GM/Chevy warranty info:

"All body and sheet metal components are warranted against rust-through corrosion for 6 years/100,000 miles (whichever comes first). Application of additional rust-inhibiting materials is not required under the corrosion coverage and none is recommended."

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 03-30-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, rust through.....rust through is not going to happen with double sided galvanized sheet metal in 6 years. Pretty much standard in automotive construction for the past couple decades, the exhaust is another matter though.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

They've always put a thin coating of paint on undercarriage components. The stamped steel parts always rust a little around the edges and under normal use will last the life of the car. GM isn't in the business of making show cars. They make cars that are meant to be driven and then disposed of.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Plus it is a good reason to buy a magnaflow. Think positive. Also look under an accord or camry same thing happens its not just a GM thing. Plus, nobody says "gee that's a nice car", but upon getting on their hands and knees and looking under the car, says "but the exhaust is rusted." Its a non-issue thats warranted for 3/36K.