LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Window scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007 | 01:35 PM
Launching!

Default Window scratches?

Hey guys, I just bought an 06 Impala SS with 6k miles and I noticed that the driver side window is scratched up pretty badly. Has anyone else experienced this? And if so, did your warranty cover it?

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2007 | 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

There is a TSB about it. I have it on all 4, but don't want the dealer to deny me b/c of the tint i have on there. They will replace the seals and the glass if it cannot be buffed out.
Old 04-30-2007 | 06:45 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the info Buffalo, looks like I'll be heading to the dealer so they can check it out. I have no tint on my windows (yet) so it shouldn't be a problem I hope.
Old 04-30-2007 | 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Being that it's obviously a known problem with the stock setup, i can't imagine they could turn me away b/c of the tint, but with my problems with this car and my dealer so far, i wouldn't put it past them.
Old 04-30-2007 | 04:43 PM
Launching!

Does anyone have the TSB number and description for this problem? I looked around but couldnt find anything.
Old 04-30-2007 | 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

I'll try to find it for you...it might be over at NAIOA.com
Old 05-01-2007 | 08:42 AM
Launching!

Also, I wasn't even sure it was possible to buff scratches out of glass. Is it done pretty much the same way as buffing paint? I've seen some glass polishes out there, but I'm not sure if they can remove scratches this deep.
Old 05-01-2007 | 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

I agree, mine cannot be buffed out...i can feel them with my fingernail.

After thinking about it more, the added thickness of the tint should not affect how hard it presses against the swipe on the outside. What is it? Like 1mil in thickness, if that? I'm going to bring it to the dealer's attention next time i go and see what happens. Then i'm going to raise hell if they deny me. Like they say in the Magnusson Act, for warranty repairs, if they cannot prove that the aftermarket addition caused the problem, they cannot deny you. Because it's an issue they are aware of, and b/c of the Service Bulletin they obviously are, me adding tint isn't the origin of the problem.

Now, the big Q is whether or not they should pay to have my tint redone on the windows that would be replaced? 3 out of 4 definitely cannot be "fixed," so there goes my tint. Granted, the tint job wasn't great in the first place, but it still cost me some money, so they need to cough up the dough.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Old 05-01-2007 | 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Oh, i forgot to post the Bulletin...i tried yesterday and it wouldn't load properly:

Document ID# 1866672
2006 Chevrolet Impala

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Rubbing/Squealing/Grinding Noise When Window/Door Glass Is Raised or Lowered, Scratches in Door Glass (Replace Door Glass Belt Sealing Strip) #06-08-64-033 - (10/12/2006)

Models: 2006-2007 Chevrolet Impala

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment of a rubbing, squealing or grinding noise when opening or closing the left or right door glass. They may also comment of scratches in the door glass.

Cause
This condition may be cause by dirt accumulating on the lip of the belt sealing strip.

Correction
Replace the door glass outer belt sealing strip with a newly designed outer belt sealing strip . Refer Front Side Door Window Belt Outer Sealing Strip Replacement in SI. If scuffs or scratches are found, it may be necessary to replace the glass as well.

Parts Information

Right Front Outer Door Glass Belt Sealing Strip

Left Front Outer Door Glass Belt Sealing Strip
Old 05-01-2007 | 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Document ID# 1890153
2006 Chevrolet Impala

Subject: Rubbing/Squealing/Grinding Noise When Door Glass is Raised or Lowered, Scratches in Door Glass (Replace Door Glass Belt Sealing Strip) #06-08-64-033A - (01/23/2007)

Models: 2006-2007 Chevrolet Impala

This bulletin is being revised to include information for the rear doors. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-08-64-033 (Section 08 - Body & Accessories).

Condition
Some customers may comment on a rubbing, squealing or grinding noise when opening or closing the left or right front or rear door glass. They may also comment of scratches in the door glass.

Cause
This condition may be cause by dirt accumulating on the lip of the belt sealing strip.

Correction
Replace the door glass outer belt sealing strip with a newly designed outer belt sealing strip . Refer to Front Side Door Window Belt Outer Sealing Strip Replacement or Rear Side Door Window Belt Outer Sealing Strip Replacement in SI. Clean the glass with glass cleaner and if scuffs or scratches are found, it may be necessary to replace the glass as well.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description

Right Front Outer Door Glass Belt Sealing Strip

Left Front Outer Door Glass Belt Sealing Strip

Right Rear Outer Door Glass Belt Sealing Strip

Left Rear Outer Door Glass Belt Sealing Strip

Warranty Information
For vehicle repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

C0130
Strip, Front Door Window Outer Sealing - Right- R&R or Replace
Use Published Labor Operation Time

C0131
Strip, Front Door Window Outer Sealing - Left - R&R or Replace

C0330
Strip, Rear Door Window Outer Sealing - Right - R&R or Replace

C0331
Strip, Rear Door Window Outer Sealing - Left - R&R or Replace

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1890153
2006 Chevrolet Impala
Old 05-01-2007 | 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Silver...i'll make sure to use that Doc ID when i go in to the dealer about this.
Old 05-01-2007 | 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's basically the same as you poseted but now includes the rear window's. The last post I read was yours saying you were going to try and find it. I finally found it and posted it but did not see you had found yours. Wasn't trying to step on your toes.
Old 05-01-2007 | 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

I'm actually having this done to mine as well. Mine isn't terribly scrached, but squeals like a 400lbs pig when the doors are warmer that 60 degrees out. The dealer didn't care about the tint, now I'm just waiting on the parts to get here.
Old 05-01-2007 | 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Did they offer to replace the tint? I'm hesitant to do this b/c i don't want to have to pony up anothr $150 or so to re-tint the doors.
Old 05-01-2007 | 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

I miss worded that. They didn't care, i.e. they said it wasn't a problem, and that it was the window seals, not the tint. They aren't touching the tint.
Old 05-02-2007 | 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

No, i understood you perfectly...but if they're replacing the glass you no longer have the tint you invested in. Are they replacing that?...or are they just doing the seals b/c the windows "aren't terribly scratched" as you said.

I posted at GMInside about the issue in the dealer section and i got responses from a few dealer employees that said they'd absolutely re-tint the car...gonna raise hell, like i said, if they try to get by without it.
Old 05-02-2007 | 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Oh, my mistake. No they aren't replacing the glass atm. It isn't terrible, nothing that some Zainos can't fix at least. I really don't notice it personally accept a little from the inside of the car. I suppose I could have it done though now that I think about it. I guess I'll have to go see how bad it really is.
Old 12-07-2007 | 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Just wanted to bump this thread with my resolution. As some may have read in my other thread about my service visit, the dealer is replacing the glass and "belt sealing strips", but not the tint, as it isn't something they did to the car. That's understandable. Considering all they managed to fix on my car the first time, unlike my last service dept., i'm ecstatic. It also gives me an opportunity to get the windows tinted at a more reputable shop...and maybe even go darker.
Old 12-07-2007 | 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

Was your tint installed by the Dealer or you? My Dealer replaced my tint without question, knowing that my purchasing dealer installed it.
Old 12-08-2007 | 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MagnaPilot
Was your tint installed by the Dealer or you? My Dealer replaced my tint without question, knowing that my purchasing dealer installed it.
That's quite nice, my dealer would tell you to go **** a chicken...

Quick Reply: Window scratches?